Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Could Roland just be right?

Could he? Could he just be one of those blokes who everyone secretly hates a bit but everything he touches turns to gold making unpopular decisions along the way? Time will tell obviously ... just so drained by all this... A couple of wins and we will all feel an awful lot better...

Comments

• Options
    We go down he is wrong.
    We stay up he is half right.
    We stay up and he invest in players not dumps players on us he is three quarters right.
  • Options
    Far to early to know.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

You dont become a multi millionaire without being right more often than not, and you certainly don't achieve it without upsetting one or two people along the way.
    Lets give the guy a break and have a little faith, after all moaning isn't going to have any affect.

Yeah, but he didn't make his money through football, It's a completely different animal from running an electronics company. Just ask Alan Sugar.................
  • Options

You dont become a multi millionaire without being right more often than not, and you certainly don't achieve it without upsetting one or two people along the way.
    Lets give the guy a break and have a little faith, after all moaning isn't going to have any affect.

Yeah, but he didn't make his money through football, It's a completely different animal from running an electronics company. Just ask Alan Sugar.................
    granted, but he is doing what he knows and what works for him. Just think some are being a tad too quick to criticise.
  • Options
    If you wait long enough a bus will come along. Doesn't make it a good service. All we can do is judge him by what we have seen. Failure to strengthen, our best driving midfielder and top scorer sold and now the loyal and respected manager sacked. If we go down that will be on his watch too. Hard to avoid the obvious conclusion that he hasn't changed the club's direction one iota. It's precisely where we were headed with Jiminez. A return to League One will move this club back to the lowest point of the 1970's and will lower our stock even further. It's a long way back and we will need investment to do that. I don't see the Duchatelet model delivering that as we struggle to break even on significantly less revenue. That's what will happen unless he changes his philosophy.
  • Options
    Was RD actually there last night?
  • Options
    He could well be right. People don't like change and his unconventional methods certainly represent a lot of change. Judgement reserved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He may well be right in realising his ambitions and being rich enough to exploit Charlton Athletic whilst doing so.
  • Options
    Ok henry your right im wrong. Please forgive me!
  • Options
    Yes, of course he could be and hope he is. So many are jumping to conclusions and none of us have all or many of the facts.

One thing is certain, he will try to make money from every club. My guess is he will try to first break even by signing players between his small network, most profitable team buying best quality available at one of those making a loss (if player A can genuinely help the more profitable team to improve further) etc. Build from there on all fronts and ensure a dividend is returned from TV money and as player sales to teams outside the network also help achieve this.

Where do the riches lie, Champions League and Premiership, based on TV revenues, merch etc.? I would hazard a guess that the two priorities would be SL to keep winning their league and gradually improving performance in CL yoy and us into the Prem over 3-5 years, predominantly built on our academy output.

One thing I'd be more confident about is how much information RD is willing to share with us, the media, every other football club in the world about his strategy - very little. I totally agree with that approach in business, quietly get on with implementing your strategy and gradually build the success based on the success criteria you have set for the venture.

Will this satisfy every fan's thirst for comfort messaging, no, but it will I believe give us more of an advantage over transfers and club transformation (securing the most attractive pricing deals etc) in future.

Good luck Roland - I am nervously excited about what results from your plans.
  • Options

Ok henry your right im wrong. Please forgive me!

Poor attempt. You'll be saying "move on" next. Maybe not today but soon.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

He may well be right in realising his ambitions and being rich enough to exploit Charlton Athletic whilst doing so.

Exactly this. His master plan might work out very well for him, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's in the interests of Charlton.

There's a lot more to a club than the results on the pitch. We've managed as an independent entity for over a century. Hate the idea of being the UK branch of FC Duchatelet, even if it does bring results on the pitch (which it certainly hasn't so far).
  • Options

Was RD actually there last night?

I was told by a steward that he was.

• Options
    Dislike the bloke already.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

seth plum said:

Exactly this. His master plan might work out very well for him, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's in the interests of Charlton.

There's a lot more to a club than the results on the pitch. We've managed as an independent entity for over a century. Hate the idea of being the UK branch of FC Duchatelet, even if it does bring results on the pitch (which it certainly hasn't so far).
    Agreed. However I think that's where there seems to be a line between supporters. Those that want success however that is achieved and those that want Charlton the club to 'feel' the same. Of course we have no idea if Charlton will lose all of it's personality, likewise we have no idea if this will bring any success on the pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As others have said, it is entirely a question of what you mean by 'right'. He has a plan, which is long-term and should be judged as such. It definitely should not be judged on how we do this year.

The big decisions he has made so far are entirely consistent with that plan. Iindeed, I honestly cannot see how anyone would really want CP to be forced - by his own love for the club - to stay in a job where he was obviously unhappy and was not buying into what RD is planning, to me it is just selfishness for people to demand that, but that is only my opinion.

So I admire the way that he has a thought-out long-term strategy and is intent on sticking to it - that is what we need and I would say that it will be at least two or three years before we can make a proper assessment.

I don't know the man to like him or not, but I do admire what he has done so far.
  • Options
    He's wrong on all levels. A wrong 'un.
  • Options
    Simon Jordan was right about a lot and became a multi millionaire but he struggled to get football right
  • Options
    For me he is wrong. I support a football club, not a project. It's immaterial if it's a successful business project.
  • Options

For me he is wrong. I support a football club, not a project. It's immaterial if it's a successful business project.

Dictionary definition of project 'something that is contemplated, devised, or planned; plan; scheme'.

Surely we had a project to get us out of League 1, no objections to that project was there?
  • Options
    Gammysnr said:

He's wrong on all levels. A wrong 'un.

The evidence for this statement is...?