Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Player refuses penalty

I would so dearly love for this to be normal. It's the only way refereeing could ever really work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TPjx1DMaEw

Comments

• Nice , I'm sure some of their fans were crying about it
  • Very nice, but how did the referee give a penalty in the first place? The bloke went down in installments!
  • If he was that fair he wouldn't have dived in the first place.
  • buckshee said:

If he was that fair he wouldn't have dived in the first place.

True...but maybe he's turned the corner.

PS: Saw him (Aaron Hunt) in action last weekend at Werder Bremen v HSV. Very good player and set up a goal with an amazing outside of the foot back-flick.
  • How refreshing. I would love this to catch on but unfortunately money will prevent it.
  • Fiver says he wouldn't have done it at nil nil!
  • Well at least it couldn't to us!
    U have to get in a oppositions box to win a penalty?
  • I thought he just slipped, or maybe he just realised that diving is for knobs
  • refreshing to see good on him i say
  • Here here here here ---->
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2014
    Thierry Henry would be a legend now among footy fans if he had owned up to that handball against Ireland. I just see him now as dirty cheat when I see his mug on TV.

shouldn't that player in the above clip got a yellow card for diving?
  • 2-0 up its easy to say no.

• Jayajosh said:

Thierry Henry would be a legend now among footy fans if he had owned up to that handball against Ireland. I just see him now as dirty cheat when I see his mug on TV.

Never understood the hatred towards Henry for that (unless you're Irish of course). How would you feel if we made the play-offs and one of our strikers done the same, then turned to the ref and say "strike it off ref, I handballed it in". I for one wouldn't be too happy about it....................
  • Jayajosh said:

shouldn't that player in the above clip got a yellow card for diving?

If you look his foot kicks the turf causing him to go over. Whether he deliberately kicked the turf or not is difficult to say and for that reason a yellow card wouldn't have been warranted.
  • edited March 2014
    Jayajosh said:

And i'm sure you say the exact same thing about Gerrard for diving in the Champions League final?

Players cheat to win, it happens.
  • Players should never cheat but referees should never make mistakes. We've all seen plenty of penalties, offsides, goals, red cards etc. given or not given with no cheating or foul play at all but where the referee has made the completely wrong decision. A massive howler happens every week in every level of English football. I hate cheats, no matter whether it is them or us who cheats, but referees' mistakes change games more than diving or not owning up to handballs/fouls ever do. It's just part of the game and in some ways cheating partly balances out reffing errors. Think of it as one of those card games or some Monopoly house rules where it is only cheating if you get caught, otherwise it is ok - only with the benefit of TV replays can we ever definitively say if something is cheating. Players don't seem to mind being called cheats and some (Suarez for example) take pride in being able to cheat and not get caught. 9 times out of 10 a player would rather win a game and get away with a dive or a handball, than lose and own up to your cheating.
  • "referees should never make mistakes."

I often use the words "silliest thing I've ever read on CL" for added effect, but I think I mean it this time.

You can't separate cheating and erros the way you are, it doesn't work. If 22 grown men, plus their managers and thousands of fans are all happy to lie through their teeth...to lie and cheat about anything from a throw-in to a goal, just to get an edge, how on Earth could you possibly have such an attitude against the one man who is trying to make sense of it all?

Football is not an exact science. You can't write an algorithm to cover it. Computers can't crack it - there's too much nuance and subtlety. It relies on a human brain to figure that out. When you play int he park, you have to be reasonable otherwise it falls apart. The attitude toward referees, therefore, on the basis that "it's worth a lot of money/ glory/ etc" doesn't change the fact that, fundamentally, it's an impossible job if the people playing the game aren't willing to help.
  • edited March 2014
    JiMMy 85 said:

"referees should never make mistakes."

I often use the words "silliest thing I've ever read on CL" for added effect, but I think I mean it this time.

You can't separate cheating and erros the way you are, it doesn't work. If 22 grown men, plus their managers and thousands of fans are all happy to lie through their teeth...to lie and cheat about anything from a throw-in to a goal, just to get an edge, how on Earth could you possibly have such an attitude against the one man who is trying to make sense of it all?

Football is not an exact science. You can't write an algorithm to cover it. Computers can't crack it - there's too much nuance and subtlety. It relies on a human brain to figure that out. When you play int he park, you have to be reasonable otherwise it falls apart. The attitude toward referees, therefore, on the basis that "it's worth a lot of money/ glory/ etc" doesn't change the fact that, fundamentally, it's an impossible job if the people playing the game aren't willing to help.

Sorry mate but you've taken my words completely out of context. Your first line is also unnecessarily sanctimonious considering you didn't really bother to read the whole of my post.

My first line was basically saying in an ideal world there would be no cheats and referees would get every call right. I didn't add the words 'in an ideal world' because I assumed this was obvious.

Cheating rarely makes the difference in major fixtures; on the other hand refereeing errors are regularly highlighted as either gifting or costing teams points or victories on a weekly basis in English football. Every selfish act is based on an equation of risk & reward; as long as the chance of reward outweighs the risk of failure/detection, then cheating will always occur. Referees are powerless to do anything about it as they cannot review replays, so they will on occasion either miss cheating or book players for cheating when they didn't. The fact is referees simply do not have the tools to combat cheating as it happens, therefore there is always incentive for players to cheat. I mention the fact that cheating represents a balance against errors in the game as a player who wins a penalty by diving may have been denied a genuine penalty earlier in the game by a poor ref - if the ref had made the right call in the first place, the player may have not felt he had to resort to cheating to win a penalty. After all, as the laws of the game stand - it is only cheating if you get caught. I am in no way justifying cheating, just rationalising that under the current laws and officiating system, it isn't going away anytime soon.
  • Love this video