Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Car

Need to get a new company car - limited choice between BMW, Mercedes, Peugoet and Ford. All models but my allowance only gets me so far.

Had my eye on either a 1 series, 3 series or the new A Class.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• edited February 2014
    Had BMW 318d for about 5 years & never had any problems at all. Would always recommend.
  • had a 330d for 6 years, one of the best cars I've ever owned, but don't discount the Ford Mondeo a very underrated car
  • I used to think all cars were equal and it's all about the badge, then I bought a SAAB and got acquainted with a friend's BMW and realised they're not. Quality cars are quality - it;'s not all about the badge. Having said that, I've also driven a modern Mondeo and they are superb motors! Ford's quality has really gone up since the Dagenham Dustbin days!
  • I should add that I worked for Ford for a while in the late 2000's and they were equaling and indeed overtaking Toyota in the reliability stakes at that time.
  • Crikey. I wish my company got me a 3 series!
  • When I had a company car I always had a Mondeo ...quality car and very reliable.
  • My misses has got a 1 series 120d m sport as company car very nice car if a little gimmicky for my liking inside.
    Some good little features though.
    Good mpg though and seats a bit snug n hard(i must be getting old)
    Feel sorry for the 18inch alloys though!!
    Dealers a bit pushy though
    But local Audi dealer was worse they were a nightmare.
  • the 1 series is a girls car. i know a lot of people would disagree but it just is. 3 series and a class both lovely motors. although fords quality is fantastic nowadays.
  • considering the 3 series is probably the best all-round car ever made, I'd say it's a no-brainer! (unless you can get a 5 series)
  • Surely the 3-series must be the most dull car in production at the moment though! I'd take a high spec mondeo
  • Sponsored links:

• Mercs have had poor digital radios and bluetooth mobile connection for a couple of years now.

BMW would be my choice.
  • Focus ST :-)
  • Hate the 1 Series. Had a look at them when we bought our last car and for what you get they are stupidly over priced. Literally everything seemed to be an option. A Class Mercs are poor value as well.

Would take a top spec Ford over either of the above, but as has already been said 3 series is probably the best bet.
  • Take the cash and buy your own car. Unless things have changed, the gov taxes you to the point it isn't worth it.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2448399/How-I-work-company-car-worth-taking.html
  • Agree about the top spec Ford rather than an average flash motor.
  • How about a BMW M6?
  • Ford GT - simple.
  • Saga Lout said:

I used to think all cars were equal and it's all about the badge, then I bought a SAAB and got acquainted with a friend's BMW and realised they're not. Quality cars are quality - it;'s not all about the badge. Having said that, I've also driven a modern Mondeo and they are superb motors! Ford's quality has really gone up since the Dagenham Dustbin days!

This is so true. I always quote the 'door slam test'. Slam the door on a BMW, Audi or Merc and it shuts with a satisfying thump. It is so much more than a badge. Interior quality always shines through. I have always been a fan of the Merc interior - bit plain for some but I find it very classy. Audi have the best interiors though. That is your final test of a quality car. Knock the interior trim. If it has a nice solid knock rather than a hollow rattle, that does it for me.
  • Had a new mondeo a few years ago and found it superb. Cavernous inside too. Tax isn't great though.

I have a c class Mercedes now and love it. Have to return in November and will miss it immensely. Only downside is the monthly ucost
  • Beemer - but don't forget to specify the optional extra indicators - so many BMW drivers haven't got them on their cars...
    Get a black one, an RTA Statutory Instrument has specifically excluded these from many traffic laws, like speeding, lane hogging, and running red lights....Mrs cafcfan has a black Z4 ;-)