Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Recommend me a short break with the Mrs in July

I'm looking to go somewhere at the end of July for 5 days for my 10th Wedding anniversary but wondered if anyone had any cool suggestions.

I was thinking New York as we've not been there for a while but it's a long way for just 5 days. Any cool suggestions? Anything in Europe that comes highly recommended.

Open to suggestions but I'm looking to spend no more than £2000 ideally - though not the end of the world.

Comments

• Italy? Romantic, great food and wine, should be warm in July, 2 hours flight time.

Either of the lakes (Como & Garda), Tuscany, Venice etc, all good
  • Dubrovnik is a beautiful city with a great coastline, Santorini is also worth considering if you've not been before
  • Barcelona... Unbelievable city. Santorini is nice too
  • Sorrento would be my choice
  • Dubai....great place, great food.
    I know it's not Europe but 5 days is ideal and not too far away.
  • Bath Spa hotel...5 star luxury. Very quiet and a great place to relax
  • Sardinia. Good food + awesome beaches + luxury+ decent weather + short flight = ... good holiday I suppose
  • Fly to Venice and home from Verona or vice versa. They're 75 miles apart and you have Lake Garda by Verona.

Otherwise Rome or Florence/Siena.

• edited February 2014
    Madrid. Great museums and art galleries. Fantastic courtyard tapas bars.
    Real or Athletico may be at home that weekend to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Prague or Budapest
  • barcelona is lovely.also heard very good things about dubrovnik.
  • We've been to Budapest a few times. Same with Oslo and Vegas. Got engaged in Rome and been to Sorrento and Amalfi coast. She's been to Madrid so not fussed with that. Keen for somewhere new.

Dubai sounds like a good idea - hadn't thought of that to be honest.
    Barcelona appeals to me too as does Dubrovnik. food for thought I think!
  • If you like scenery I'd suggest Kerry or Connemara. Bit of a gamble with the weather but if it's good it's a brilliant break.
  • Sheffield's not too bad in July.
  • Corsica is a bit unusual although it can get expensive especially in the south.

PS check FA cup dates before booking : - )
  • Plus one for Dubrovnik.
  • I think 5 days would be too many for Dubrovnik, as stunning as it is.
    Barcelona would get my vote if you've not been before - City and beach in one, loads to do, good weather, not far to go etc.
  • Valencia and Lisbon both COOL
  • I've not been myself but my folks and a few friends absolutely love the Italian lakes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Padstow, Reykjavik, Barcelona or my personal favourite.... Chicago
  • Did Florence in November it was very nice. Might be a bit crowded in July though.
  • Cordoba/Granada/Sevilla - do the three of them in five days, they are all different, and all amazing. Andalusia is my favourite place on Earth.
  • Cordoba/Granada/Sevilla - do the three of them in five days, they are all different, and all amazing. Andalusia is my favourite place on Earth.

Ronda is in that area too.

• Ronda's great too - I have relatives in Arriate, which is only a few miles away. Unfortunately, they're arseholes, so I never visit :)
  • Spookily it is my 10th wedding anniversary at the end of July. I would suggest Lisbon but I'm taking my wife there for a surprise.
  • Stockholm - an absolutely stunning city and the Swedish people are some of the friendliest you will meet anywhere. Take an all day boat trip around the Stockholm archipelago. It is absolutely beautiful & fascinating.
  • I would have suggested Dubai as well, as 5 days is about right but it'll be hotter than your piece in July.
  • cabbie8 said:

Dubai....great place, great food.
    I know it's not Europe but 5 days is ideal and not too far away.

Whatever you do, DON'T come to Dubai in July. It will be 50 degrees of heat plus it will be Ramadan in 2014. Avoid if at all possible!!

Seconded.