Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Missing Friend

A friend of mine had a bit of a breakdown after his girlfriend split up with him. He's been through the ringer since Christmas, and was sectioned two weeks ago (he has had no prior issues). He ran off last night on a supervised walk, took 200 quid out of the cash point by Brighton station and hasn't been seen since.

I found out about 2 hours ago, and I am sitting at home with a car and a credit card wondering, what the hell can I do?!

What does one do in this situation? Any advice from anyone with experience would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Jesus, that doesn't sound good Jimmy.

Does he live in Brighton?

All the best.
  • I would contact the police and let the experts deal with it while trying not to worry so much about it, which of course is impossible.

All the best Jimmy, I hope they find him.
  • Yeah he's from Horley, moved to Brighton with his girlfriend a few years back. His parents are in Horley so I'm gonna do a quick drive round the old haunts so I at least feel useful. I suspect FoD is right and it's best to let the experts do their thing. Sitting around waiting for news is horrible.
  • Good luck Jimmy.
  • Anywhere that might be of sentimental significance to him that he might go to? Or anywhere he might feel safe/be able to stay on his own?
  • does he have a facebook or any social networking site that he uses that you could try to gain access to? see if theres any suggestion of messages or comments made about him going somewhere? Good luck Jimmy
  • Or he might go looking for the ex-girlfriend or some of her friends.

However, as unpleasant as this might sound, you might want to make a priority looking in the sort of places he might choose to go to commit suicide.

Sorry, but it's better to face the possibility of something like this happening than to face the realisation that is has!

Good luck, you sound like a good and caring friend!
  • Or he might go looking for the ex-girlfriend or some of her friends.

However, as unpleasant as this might sound, you might want to make a priority looking in the sort of places he might choose to go to commit suicide.

Sorry, but it's better to face the possibility of something like this happening than to face the realisation that is has!

Good luck, you sound like a good and caring friend!

As horrible as it is Kings Hill is right.

Maybe have a drive round to Beachy Head?
  • Why would he take £200 out to commit suicide? I think He has planned to do something with that money. Hotel somewhere having a break enjoying his liberty somewhere etc.

Someone on that walk needs sacking.
  • edited February 2014
    look in pubs around that area where he withdrew money , go to hotels act a bit dumb saying you are meant to meet your pal you cant rember what hotel and give his name, also go to the florists around there and see if anyone matching his description ordered flowers to be delivered to either his ex or parents ( this is often the last act of someone looking to say bye but not in person ) Sorry Jimmy

good luck, put pics up in bars and bus stops

also place his details in chemists and in super market chemists give a picture if possible you can buy a fair amount of over the counter products that may assist him if he was looking to end it all

Would he know drug dealers Jimmy if so giving them a call may show some tracks to follow as the last thing a dealer wants is someone OD in on something from them
  • Sponsored links:

• I would assume it could be money to travel somewhere?
  • £200 won't go very far. Get the police involved and they would be able to track any use of a debit or credit card.

Good luck Jimmy. Hope things turn out ok.
  • Does anyone know how to locate an IP address? He sent an email this morning. I don't know if the cops are searching for it as the inner circle is tight but I'd like to try. We think he's in a B and B.
  • Thats a good sign then Jimmy if hes booked in somewhere.

Theres a lot of bloody B&B's in Brighton tho.
  • Why would he take £200 out to commit suicide? I think He has planned to do something with that money. Hotel somewhere having a break enjoying his liberty somewhere etc.

Someone on that walk needs sacking.

A few beers, something to eat, a night in a B&B and a couple of bottles of Vodka with 200 paracetamol. That should take care of most of his £200.
  • Thanks for that kings.

• JiMMy 85 said:

Does anyone know how to locate an IP address? He sent an email this morning. I don't know if the cops are searching for it as the inner circle is tight but I'd like to try. We think he's in a B and B.

Try networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp Perhaps a long shot but you never know.
  • Hope it all works out Jimmy, must be horrible mate
  • Thanks all for your messages of support. You're a good bunch. I've found out a lot more We know he was fine this morning now, but the worst case scenario is still too realistic.
  • Kings could be right jimmy but more than likely he took out £200 and booked in somewhere because he wanted to escape for a while, the money is generally a good sign, someone that is truly suicidal would just do it not line their pockets before hand. So overall signs are good but be prepared for anything, I hope you find him soon my prayers are with you.
  • Sponsored links:

• He has a good pal in you jimmy keep going you will find him
  • cafcfan said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Does anyone know how to locate an IP address? He sent an email this morning. I don't know if the cops are searching for it as the inner circle is tight but I'd like to try. We think he's in a B and B.

Try networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp Perhaps a long shot but you never know.
    Www.iplocation.net
  • Is he a Charlton supporter, would he go to Sheffield?
  • If he has been sectioned under the Mental health Acts, the police are looking for him, though they will not treat him as a priority unless he's deemed to be dangerous .. I would contact mutual friends and see what they know, otherwise the best thing is to wait and see what transpires .. if/when he is nabbed, then offer all the help and support that you can
  • Good luck Jimmy, by the way.
  • PL54 said:

cafcfan said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Www.iplocation.net
    Be mindful that often the IP address location is the ISP's rather than the person. I live near Ashford but my ISP's routers are in various places around the country, most commonly Derby it seems. Don't want you heading up north when he's still in Brighton.
  • Get a photo and put it out on twitter, it's a great way to raise awareness.