Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The gentleman that is Chris Powell

13»

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    If he was behind the time wasting by his team today I have lost a lot of respect for him. Football is entertainment, that display was cheating.
    Are we selectively forgetting that his Charlton team did exactly the same? 
    It does go to show that CP (top top guy) is like every other sports manager in the entire universe (usually tossers) and is focussed on winning every game for his club, regardless of the opposition and so he should.

Guarantee there's Charlton who wanted Southend to win yesterday as it was CP (absolute gentleman of the highest order) and also because of the current situation at the Club.

Really? Can’t see that being the case 
    Several 'fans' on here have said they want us to lose every game to hirt RD.
    One or two at most
    Oh
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    If he was behind the time wasting by his team today I have lost a lot of respect for him. Football is entertainment, that display was cheating.
    It does go to show that CP (top top guy) is like every other sports manager in the entire universe (usually tossers) and is focussed on winning every game for his club, regardless of the opposition and so he should.

Guarantee there's Charlton who wanted Southend to win yesterday as it was CP (absolute gentleman of the highest order) and also because of the current situation at the Club.

One or two at most
    I can think of 3 off the top of my head, that's 3 too many, imo.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

One or two at most
    Spill!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

If thats true they are disgraceful and I hope they read this and go F off and support Millwall instead.

If we lost everygame would Roland sell quicker or would he still try and sell us as a league 2 club for £40M then the same the following year in National League, relegation from Championship didnt bother him so why would it from League 1.

If you go into games hoping we lost to hurt him then as far as I am concerned you are as bad as Roland and the club means as much to you as it does to him.

I hate roland and want him to sell, but as a Charlton fan that comes first and I want us to win every game, I could never ever imagine going into a game wanting us to lose.

Support the team not the regime is just that,  you support the team no matter who owns us.

Reading that there are actually people who want us to lose has really annoyed me and I really think they should be named and shamed
  • Options
    se9addick said:

One or two at most
    Really? Who?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

One or two at most
    I could only think of a couple of attention seekers but agree 3 (or 2) too many
  • Options
    I wanted us to lose against Southend 

in 2017 late on in the season we were going nowhere and Southend were in a battle with the scum for the last play off spot .....
    of course we won and a draw would have been enough for Southend to finish 6th and the scum 7th that season .
    they won the play offs and have been lauding it since in a higher division , shameful times 

• Options
    I wanted us to lose against Southend 

in 2017 late on in the season we were going nowhere and Southend were in a battle with the scum for the last play off spot .....
    of course we won and a draw would have been enough for Southend to finish 6th and the scum 7th that season .
    they won the play offs and have been lauding it since in a higher division , shameful times 

Wasnt that the season that Keith Stroud ruled out a perfectly clear goal from Patrick Bauer - Had we beaten them that day then they'd have missed the Play-Offs!!!
  • Options
    Correct Forever aaaaah
  • Options

What made it worse was Southend could easily have won at the end.
    It scared me how shit we were for that ten minute or so period when everyone was giving the ball away at the back and failing to clear it 
    Agreed we were for about 8 minutes but what about the 30 minutes before that when we lay seige to their goal.

The surprising reason we didn't score was we lost 34 goals out of our attack with Taylor, Grant and Aribo, plus Marshall and Fosu proved why they are only on the bench when we have a full team to pick from.

Southend did what they had to do. Chris Powell (Mr nice) showed his lads the Accrington video and told them to emulate the northern bastards. Alls fair in love and war and League 1 football and Chris Powell is still a great guy.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    soapboxsam said:ni

What made it worse was Southend could easily have won at the end.
    It scared me how shit we were for that ten minute or so period when everyone was giving the ball away at the back and failing to clear it 
    Agreed we were for about 8 minutes but what about the 30 minutes before that when we lay seige to their goal.

The surprising reason we didn't score was we lost 34 goals out of our attack with Taylor, Grant and Aribo, plus Marshall and Fosu proved why they are only on the bench when we have a full team to pick from.

Southend did what they had to do. Chris Powell (Mr nice) showed his lads the Accrington video and told them to emulate the northern bastards. Alls fair in love and war and League 1 football and Chris Powell is still a great guy.

Agreed - some of the comments on here are embarrassing. 

CP is a professional football manager, he is going to employ any tactic possible to get something out of a game, when they are away from home and down to ten men.

If we were in the same position, Bowyer would do the same in a heartbeat - if he didn't he'd be in the wrong job! 
  • Options
    The keeper going down injured worked as it killed our momentum and after that they had 2 great chances to.score. Before this a yellow card to the keeper early on would have helped but I think the ref was worried about the no. of cards already dished out. I think in the end our team looked very disjointed with our subs and I think Powell may look back and think maybe his team could have played a bit more and even with 10 men got the win.
    Two points:

- the number of cards given prior to an incident shouldn't have any effect on the punishment for a particular infringement. If it means a second yellow to a player, so be it (see the BFG last week!)

- the ref had only brandished one (deserved) red card and five yellow cards in the match ... and three of those yellows were to Charlton! How Southend got away with only two bookings for their constant fouling and then time-wasting was beyond me.
  • Options
    God, there is some bullshit on here.
    I was out of the country at the weekend... Did CP get a good reception or not ?
  • Options
    Powell is certainly a very nice, well mannered and cultured gentleman .. but when his teams take the field, any thought that he maintains a nostalgia, a soft spot for the opposition (in this case us) goes out the (January) window .. he makes the most of the resources at his disposal and sends his men out to win .. I wonder how he responded last night after his team's drubbing at Doncaster ?