Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Running and Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    Dartford parkrun starts this Saturday, I'm hoping to drive over for it. Inaugural events are always really good, a couple of hundred runners and a great atmosphere
  • Options
    I know that Strava is mentioned in this link somewhere, but if you run/bike or swim you can record these with Strava and Join the Charlton Life group

http://www.strava.com/clubs/charltonlife
  • Options
    Has anyone on here done a Duathlon?Ive been looking into this today and see they have some in Windsor just wanted to know if anyone has done one and any other information on them.I picked up an injury doing a marathon 15 months ago and just starting to get back into running again,
  • Options
    Sunday was a real turning point for me.

I've struggled a bit fitness-wise since running Paris back in April but everything has started looking up again in the last 6 weeks and I've felt the stamina coming back into my legs.

Decided to go out with my running club on Sunday and managed to keep to sub 4 marathon pace for 18.1 miles. Ran 13.1 in 1:58:30 which is only a couple of mins off by HM PB and first time I'd ran anywhere near sub 4 pace over 15 miles. I knew the intervals I'd been doing were starting to take effect but I didnt quite realise how much good they were doing me.

Have been buzzing ever since and am so looking forward to running Amsterdam in 2 months time now.

Has anyone on here done a Duathlon?Ive been looking into this today and see they have some in Windsor just wanted to know if anyone has done one and any other information on them.I picked up an injury doing a marathon 15 months ago and just starting to get back into running again,

KK, they run some duathlons up at Cyclopark at Gravesend on a regular basis.
  • Options
    I have agreed to do the swimming leg of a triathlon - 3 of us doing one of the disciplines.

I am swimming round Hever Castle Moat in September.Cant wait..
  • Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - you're all insane! if God had wanted us to swim, run or cycle he would not have given us buses, taxis and boats.;)
  • Options
    Looking forward to my monthly BBHAC 5k handicap race tonight - start times are modified according to pb so everyone should finish at the same time. It's open to allcomers if anyone's near Hayes :)
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I have agreed to do the swimming leg of a triathlon - 3 of us doing one of the disciplines.

I am swimming round Hever Castle Moat in September.Cant wait..

I hope you've got a swimsuit Curb It. I fish there a lot, it's cold!
  • Options
    I've got a wetsuit - hopin that will help.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I've got a wetsuit - hopin that will help.

Fair play to you, good luck!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I know that Strava is mentioned in this link somewhere, but if you run/bike or swim you can record these with Strava and Join the Charlton Life group

I think I just inadvertently requested to follow the group administrator. Am I in the group? I clicked on the link?
  • Options
    http://www.strava.com/clubs/34412/members

Not sure if you are here, Strava is ace though so join up if not :)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I've been struggling with my running over the summer due to a few minor strains. Since getting fit again been finding it really hard to hit a sub-30min 5k (yeah I know pathetic).

Had a barney with a girl I've been dating this afternoon and called it all off... went straight out for a run raging and did it in just under 26 minutes... so that's my pre-race ritual set for the next event I run in!
  • Options
    God yeah - running angry is a sure fire way to knock out some PBs.
  • Options
    Gutted that they don't support Strava on windows phone.

After years of laziness, I decide to go park running and join a gym last month. Currently running 5k about 3 times a week around 28-30 minutes.

Last week however my old man convinced me to sign up to a Greenwich to Paris bike ride next year. It is around 75 miles a day over four days, haven't got a clue how to even approach training for this as I've never really done the bike thing. So I'm just hitting the bike machine at the gym, any experts got any advice on how far and what I should be doing to prepare for this?
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I think I just inadvertently requested to follow the group administrator. Am I in the group? I clicked on the link?
    I'm already on strava so hopefully I'm in the group. Been running a couple of years, nowt serious just 3 times a week, 30 odd mins each time. But I joined strava to see distance times etc. I might start pushing on now and upping distances - glad I found it
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

I'm already on strava so hopefully I'm in the group. Been running a couple of years, nowt serious just 3 times a week, 30 odd mins each time. But I joined strava to see distance times etc. I might start pushing on now and upping distances - glad I found it
    You added me, no worries you're in anyhow! :)
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

You added me, no worries you're in anyhow! :)
    Better step up the old times:) well be good to give and get kudos from someone else than my father in law
  • Options
    Cheers for that JohnBoy.I did a my first 5k run without any pain the weekend so can hopefully step up a bit more now and am going to have a crack at a Duathlon towards the end of the year.
  • Options
    Do your running times automatically get faster the more you run or do I need to work towards that? I've been doing 5k in 27-30 mins but no faster than that. Had some time off recently due to some injuries but want to get back into it this week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You have to push yourself, do shorter faster runs to increase pace
  • Options
    What's a decent pace? I'm currently at just over 5mins/km at about a distance of 7k (on average). I tried to smash it last week and did 4m 11s in my 1st km. could I keep that up? Haha no chance.
  • Options
    You can only improve your times by working at it in a different way to just running the distances. You need to increase your base speed and the best way to do that is interval training where you sprint hard for x amount of time and recover for say the same amount of time then sprint again for x amount of time and repeat for 15 minutes (to start off with). You'll be knackered as anyting but boy will you start feeling a difference soon if you maintain that in your overall training schedule for a few weeks.
  • Options

You can only improve your times by working at it in a different way to just running the distances. You need to increase your base speed and the best way to do that is interval training where you sprint hard for x amount of time and recover for say the same amount of time then sprint again for x amount of time and repeat for 15 minutes (to start off with). You'll be knackered as anyting but boy will you start feeling a difference soon if you maintain that in your overall training schedule for a few weeks.

Cheers GWE. I don't know if I have a 15 minute sprint in me, but get the principle.
  • Options
    no GWE means something like sprint for 3 mins, rest for 2, do that three to six times
  • Options
    Did a competitive 10km race in Crawley on Sunday, came 18th out of just over a hundred from local running clubs, it's my first proper 10km race.

Not an amazing time but over a hilly trail course finished in 44:08 Winning 2 finished were unreal.

1 0:37:21 Stafford Harriers Senior Man
    2 0:37:34 East Grinstead RC Senior Man
    3 0:38:13 Crawley Athletics Club Senior Man
    4 0:38:51 Lordshill Road Runners Senior Man
    5 0:38:51 Running Club Not Disclosed Senior Man
    6 0:41:32 Running Club Not Disclosed Senior Man
    7 0:41:34 Running Club Not Disclosed Senior Man
    8 0:41:42 Running Club Not Disclosed Senior Man
    9 0:42:03 Running Club Not Disclosed Senior Man
    10 0:42:21 Running Club Not Disclosed Senior Man
    11 0:42:24 Running Club Not Disclosed Senior Man
    12 0:42:26 Vegan Runners UK Male V40
    13 0:42:49 Running Club Not Disclosed Male V40
    14 0:42:57 Running Club Not Disclosed Senior Man
    15 0:43:06 Running Club Not Disclosed Senior Man
    16 0:43:26 K2 Running Club Senior Man
    17 0:43:35 Crawley Athletics Club Male V60
    18 0:44:08 Dazzler - Horley Harriers Senior Man

(Runner names but not clubs omitted by Dazzler)

Aiming for Sub 42:00 next then Sub 40:00 by January.
  • Options
    (Yes I was beaten by 3 Veterans)
  • Options
    Salad said:

no GWE means something like sprint for 3 mins, rest for 2, do that three to six times

Thank God for that, for a minute there I thought I'd be sprinting for 15mins :(
  • Options
    I hate running, specially after running that half marathon. I walked to work this morning... 11 miles, in 2.43.. okay so i have to leave a lot earlier than you runners. But still its very therapeutic.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

What's a decent pace? I'm currently at just over 5mins/km at about a distance of 7k (on average). I tried to smash it last week and did 4m 11s in my 1st km. could I keep that up? Haha no chance.

For an idea of whether your pace is "Decent" you might want to check your age grade percentage. This is the percentage of the world record pace for your age and sex. Do a parkrun and it gets shown on your result.