Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Running and Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    Garmin Forerunner 110 or 210 if you want the footpod (for cadence analysis). Get a hr monitor as well
  • Options
    Bagpuss said:

Did Danson park run for the first time Saturday - were any of you guys there too? Usually do Bromley but Norman park's a swamp at the mo.

4th anniversary of Avery Hill on Saturday if anyone fancies it. Bit of cake available after too!

9am by the cafe.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Can anyone recommend a decent running watch?

Currently use MapMyRun but the GPS has been a bit hit and miss of late.

Just want something to track my time, route etc that I can upload to a database online.

I use either Endomondo on my phone, or the Garmin from my bike. The Garmin is more reliable from the GPS perspective. Any of the Garmin or Polar devices depending on what you want.
  • Options
    Jints said:

I'm gradually trying to build up to a 10K race. Doing couch to 5K and currently up to 3.5K, running 3-4 times a week.

A couple of things:

I seem to get seriously out of breath after about 3 minutes, much more than I'm out of breath iafter 15 or 20. Is this usual?

Really stupd question. What's the best way of carrying liquid around with you? I end up clasping a bottle of water in my hand the whole way through, whcih can't be optimal!

Nice one Jints. I've just done couch to 5k and it was brilliant for me. From walking 1 min, running 1 min (as a fat b**tard) to being able to do 5k was a real test for me. How good does it feel afterwards though?

I did a 5k run at the start of the week and had exactly the same thing, wasn't sure I could carry on after 5 mins (weird chest stuff going on) but slowed down a bit and carried on (I won't lie, it hurt) and regulated my breathing and it was fine in the end.

Now I'm no expert, but I find 5k without water absolutely fine. I drink a glass about 30 mins before my run and then have another glass with the Berocca stuff (that turns your piss orange) at the end after warming down.

The advice I've had on here from everyone was brilliant (John Boy & Leroy know their shit) and I now do non-static stretching and fast walking for 5 mins before my run followed by normal stretching afterwards. It's made a huge difference. PM me if you'd like the details from an amateur.

I'm now signed up for the BUPA 10k in May and slightly shitting it truth be told (it really is like a marathon for me as I've never done more than 5k), but I'll get there. I'm doing it for a few very close friends and family who have been diagnosed with cancer in the past year, unfortunately two of them are terminal. I'll crawl on my fat arse to the finish line if I have to.
  • Options

Garmin Forerunner 110 or 210 if you want the footpod (for cadence analysis). Get a hr monitor as well

Will the Forerunner 110 show me map of my route when I've synced the watch to the database?
  • Options
    @Red_Murph - I do little to no stretching before doing a 5km so if you find it to help, please feel free to share.

I am surprised how enthusiastic I have become about running. 6 months ago I could not have though of anything worse, especially in this weather.

Atleast I now know I am not alone!!!
  • Options
    Started biking around 18 months ago, was doing up to 250 miles a week in the summer and did a 300 mile ride over 3 days in September. Had always said there was no way im going to run as i had tried before and could not do anymore than a few yards.... Anyway went to the local parkrun (Newent, in Gloucestershire) and went just under 30 and ran all the way. Hang about i thought, i can do this :) So since then been a little obsessed, furthest 15 miles so far and running about 30 miles a week on average. NOT LOSING WEIGHT THOUGH!!! I'm told it's turning to muscle, i need to keep thinking that and not get obsessed by the scales. I do find however that my weight does not help with the knees and hips..
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

@Red_Murph - I do little to no stretching before doing a 5km so if you find it to help, please feel free to share.

I am surprised how enthusiastic I have become about running. 6 months ago I could not have though of anything worse, especially in this weather.

Atleast I now know I am not alone!!!

Exactly the same as me James, exactly the same mate.

Caveat of being a non-professional-fat-bastard-still. This is what I do (look at the exercise videos online on how to do it properly)..

Walking Lunges - 10 reps each leg

Leg Swings - 10 each side, two different types.

Butt Kicks - basically kick your arse 10 times with each leg

Pike Stretch - can't describe, look online mate.

Hacky Sack - as above.

Toy Soldier - A bit like the Monty Python funny walk, works tho.

Then I walk quickly for 5 minutes before the run. Do the run/jog. Walk after the run for 5 mins and do static stretches.

Hope that helps fella. Others will know better but it's a start maybe.

This was the video I followed and it seems good to me....

http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/a-dynamic-routine

Good luck sir, keep at it.

• Options

@jamescafc - sweatshop was selling the Garmin 110 for £89 last week, down from £150 I think. Not sure if they still are, might be worth a look. And yes, it will show you a nice map of where you been!

You cant go wrong with the Garmins. I had been using an old forerunner 405 for years until I upgraded to my shiny new all singing and dancing 620 just before Christmas.

I'd echo what Leroy says about the HR monitor strap. I touched on it on the 1st page that I wouldnt run or ride without a HR monitor now. Without typing an essay, google "training by HR", that'll give you something to think about :)

• Options
    jamescafc said:

Will the Forerunner 110 show me map of my route when I've synced the watch to the database?
    Just on this James. I have a Forerunner 110 and it's a very nice thing but does have issues with uploading runs etc. Even after updating the software. I like it, I get by with it but I think there must be more stable platforms out there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    red_murph said:

jamescafc said:

Just on this James. I have a Forerunner 110 and it's a very nice thing but does have issues with uploading runs etc. Even after updating the software. I like it, I get by with it but I think there must be more stable platforms out there.
    Agree. I have issues with it too. I think it's related largely to the stupid cradle design (I have the same problems with the 210 as I used to have with my old 110, so it's not related to an individual model). The contacts on the back of the watch seem to be extremely finicky and regularly mean that the watch isn't detected via USB when first plugged in. I've been able to alleviate this almost entirely by first making sure I rub a cloth or a t-shirt or something over the contacts, then plugging the cradle in WITHOUT it being connected to the PC, then, once it's snug in the cradle, connect to the USB port.

Still by far the most reliable and accurate GPS watch I've used (though it takes a while to pick up a signal sometimes, this is because of the relatively small size/power of the GPS chip in them - there isn't much you can do about that unless you get a bigger watch - and who wants to run with a bulky bit of kit on their arm?)

James - you just need to install the Garmin Connect software that comes with the watch, and then plug it into your PC when you've finished your run - upload to the Garmin Connect site and you'll get all your route analysis, HR measurements etc from there
  • Options
    The new 620 is bloody clever as it can detect your home or work wi-fi network and will upload as soon as you're in range as long as you've hit the stop button on the watch and there's an activity to upload. But then at £330-350ish, it really should offer you a massage with a happy ending after your stretching!

• Options
    Garmin 110 is great for starters. I too splashed for a 620 at Christmas - love being able to upload training programmes to it - working through a half marathon one.
  • Options
    Did the 'Last Friday of the Month 5k round the Serpentine today' Well organized race, about 300 people. Decent course round Hyde Park and all on tarmac.

• Options
    Carb-loading tonight for Brockwell Park 10k on Sunday. http://hernehillharriers.org/

• Options
    Good luck Bagpuss!
  • Options

red_murph said:

jamescafc said:

Agree. I have issues with it too. I think it's related largely to the stupid cradle design (I have the same problems with the 210 as I used to have with my old 110, so it's not related to an individual model). The contacts on the back of the watch seem to be extremely finicky and regularly mean that the watch isn't detected via USB when first plugged in. I've been able to alleviate this almost entirely by first making sure I rub a cloth or a t-shirt or something over the contacts, then plugging the cradle in WITHOUT it being connected to the PC, then, once it's snug in the cradle, connect to the USB port.

Still by far the most reliable and accurate GPS watch I've used (though it takes a while to pick up a signal sometimes, this is because of the relatively small size/power of the GPS chip in them - there isn't much you can do about that unless you get a bigger watch - and who wants to run with a bulky bit of kit on their arm?)

James - you just need to install the Garmin Connect software that comes with the watch, and then plug it into your PC when you've finished your run - upload to the Garmin Connect site and you'll get all your route analysis, HR measurements etc from there
    Agree with all this, I upload to strava as well as garmin connect. Anyone else on Strava? Could start a CL Strava club maybe.
  • Options
    Not on Strava, but I'm a fetchie
  • Options

Did the 'Last Friday of the Month 5k round the Serpentine today' Well organized race, about 300 people. Decent course round Hyde Park and all on tarmac.

I ran that route almost every lunchtime for about six months last year :) It's a lovely run.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    On the subject of hydration, it's really a personal choice. I prefer to hydrate before and after a run. If it's a less than an hour I choose not to carry anything because a) it impedes my running technique, and b) anything more than an hour the organizers generally provide drinks anyway.

There's a place in Chiswick (I'll try and dig it out if anybody wants it) where you can go and have your running gait and style analyzed. It's fairly expensive (about £125, two years ago) but they will spend half a day videoing your style on a treadmill and on the track and help you with advice to improve your technique. They will also give you help with choice of running shoe depending on whether you over-pronate or otherwise.

They will also put you through some serious warm up and cool down sessions backed up with documents of the exercises which you can take away with you.

I found it useful, as like most people, the last time I did any running was at school, and that was more sprinting than distance running. It certainly helped me improve my running style, alas not the speed.

Hydrating on the bike is easier because you can obviously carry drinks with you. Getting the technique right can be tricky, but I tend to leave the pull up bit on the bottle open, so you don't have to put your teeth round it and pull it up while you're concentrating on where you're going.

As for Gels, I've used them but to be honest I've never found them much use other than for a long bike ride when you're about to bonk.

A good diet and taking on the right fuel before and after your exercise is far better.

I don't know why, but after a competition or long bout of exercise I get a craving for KFC, something I don't normally eat.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

On the subject of hydration, it's really a personal choice. I prefer to hydrate before and after a run. If it's a less than an hour I choose not to carry anything because a) it impedes my running technique, and b) anything more than an hour the organizers generally provide drinks anyway.

There's a place in Chiswick (I'll try and dig it out if anybody wants it) where you can go and have your running gait and style analyzed. It's fairly expensive (about £125, two years ago) but they will spend half a day videoing your style on a treadmill and on the track and help you with advice to improve your technique. They will also give you help with choice of running shoe depending on whether you over-pronate or otherwise.

They will also put you through some serious warm up and cool down sessions backed up with documents of the exercises which you can take away with you.

I found it useful, as like most people, the last time I did any running was at school, and that was more sprinting than distance running. It certainly helped me improve my running style, alas not the speed.

Hydrating on the bike is easier because you can obviously carry drinks with you. Getting the technique right can be tricky, but I tend to leave the pull up bit on the bottle open, so you don't have to put your teeth round it and pull it up while you're concentrating on where you're going.

As for Gels, I've used them but to be honest I've never found them much use other than for a long bike ride when you're about to bonk.

A good diet and taking on the right fuel before and after your exercise is far better.

I don't know why, but after a competition or long bout of exercise I get a craving for KFC, something I don't normally eat.

Protein, fat and salt. That's why you crave it after a long run/ride.

I crave cola after a long ride. Slightly upsetting that if I ride for an hour I only have to drink one can of coke to have totally undone the last hours' worth of work!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    One of the most useful devices I've bought to help my swimming and cycling is this:

http://www.swimsmooth.com/finis-tempo-trainer-pro.html

When you swim you can stick it under your cap or attach it to the strap of you goggles and it emits a beep from which you can time your swimming strokes. It's variable so depending on how hard you want to train you can change it to suit your session.

Also, if you don't want to buy something like a Garmin with a Cadence sensor for your bike you can set this up to beep at the right time to keep your cadence in rhythm. Just stick it under your cycling helmet.

It will probably work with running too, but I haven't tried that.

Comes with a mount and full instructions but doesn't do anything like recording or splits.

• Options
    I am doing the Paras 10 at Catterick garrison on the last day in August.its 10 miles in boots and a 35lb back pack over the course the paras use. Ive been training quite hard for it already as I had let my self go after getting my second knee reconstruction. I got a timex gps watch with heart rate monitor and the associated software.Im finding this brilliant with it logging exactly where you have been how much height you gained and lost with all the splits you can think of added to being able to put in what youve eaten and it works out the calorie deficit.
    One thing Ive noticed that is affecting me as well as others is this first part of exercising my heart rate goes well up Im blowing out my rear end and coughing and spluttering then it all settles down.Does anyone know why this happens,apart from the obvious of being too fat and too old?
  • Options
    richie8 said:

One thing Ive noticed that is affecting me as well as others is this first part of exercising my heart rate goes well up Im blowing out my rear end and coughing and spluttering then it all settles down.Does anyone know why this happens,apart from the obvious of being too fat and too old?

As has been explained to me by the sports scientists I've worked with and my personal trainer, thats the main difference between starting from cold and from a proper warm up.

As you begin exercise from cold, your HR does go up high but then settles down.
    If you begin after a proper warm up, your HR is much more stable and then it takes the initial burst and then drop out of the equation.

Here you go, the HR plot from 2 x 5km runs I did

(1) From cold...

...you can see the sudden increase and then stabilization.

(2) As part of a brick training session, 1hr on the bike followed by a 5km run within 2 mins of getting off the bike, as you would in a Duathlon or Triathlon...

...HR pretty much picks up where it left off from the bike session.

• Options
    1 month until Paris (& Brighton) today. 2 long runs left for me. Wish it was tomorrow so I can just get it out of the way now.

Have just booked up to do the Amsterdam marathon on 19th October. Thought it would be good to keep another carrot dangling in front of me to keep the motivation levels high.

Am contemplating booking the Kent coastal marathon on 7th September. Not sure whether 2 marathons in 6 weeks will be biting off more than I can chew though. Probably is. May just opt for the half instead. Any thoughts???
  • Options
    Ran 21 on Sunday and both knees felt really sore after, unusually.
    Were still sore on Tuesday evening, so broke the new running shoes out of there box and done a gentle 5 miles, to the Gym and back.
    Club run last night, could feel the knee all the way around a gentle 10k course.

They're not painful, but sore. Does that make sense? I suffered from tendonitis of the patella last year in one of the knees and it feels like the early stages of that...
    Was talking to some of the more experienced marathon runners at the club last night and they said I'd be mad to run my last planned 20 mile race on Sunday. I've already done a 15, 18, 20 and a 21now, so they suggested sack off the 20 on Sunday, give it a week off to let everything settle down then run 13 miles at marathon pace 2-3 weeks before then just generally cut the mileage.

They've also given me the number of a physio/sports therapist/massage bloke who lives just around the corner from me, who I need to phone to make an appointment. Hopefully will be able to see him in the next couple of days.

As you can probably understand, I'm a little sh*t scared now. After 4 months of training my arse off, I pick up a niggle just before.

Any tips? Can anyone put my mind at rest? Have I done enough long runs to sack the race off on Sunday??? Eeeek.
  • Options
    Done myc achilles after my last run. Didn't feel anything after running but it was sore as hell the day after. A week on and it's not really painful but I can feel it and don't want to run on it.

Quite depressed. Was really getting some momentum going and improving rapidly. Feels like a step bakc and t'internets say it typically takes 4-6 weeks to heal.
  • Options
    Sorry to read about your injuries Jints and JohnBoy - I'm in the same boat - 6 weeks after turning my ankle I've come to the conclusion it's not getting better while I'm still running on it so I'm doing complete rest and ducking out of Paddock Wood half. Shame cos I should have got a PB but I'd rather get well and try for a 5k PB later in the year.
  • Options
    @JohnBoyUK‌ I'd say you've done enough and with 4 weeks to go any benefit from extra training week be minimal and certainly not with risking a DNS for. The advice you've been given sounds spot on, you've been putting your body through unaccustomed stress and rest is going to do you mute good than training st the moment. Next time you'll know your body better and
  • Options
    Other than the GNR are there any other MUST DO half or full marathons that are worth a trip from the States?