Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Running and Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    No marathon, no amazing Ironman achievement, but I'm dead chuffed with this

https://www.strava.com/activities/2356109034/overview
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Decent effort Sacha. 

Keep working now you have nailed the sub 30, sub 25 is your next big target. You'll be surprised how quick breaking sub 30 goes to smashing pb week after week.
  • Options
    Seems that the London Marathon ballot results are being released

Managed to get a place myself yet in two minds as to whether I've got the fitness to set a good time as dont want to run just for the sake of it - Has anyone else been successful so far?
  • Options
    I failed for the 12th consecutive year.  Paris marathon for me anyway - April 5th. On the topic, Eurostar tickets just released today.
  • Options
    I failed for the 12th consecutive year.  Paris marathon for me anyway - April 5th. On the topic, Eurostar tickets just released today.

No joy for me again, but will attempt the Brighton one I think (and possibly look into the Manchester one too).
  • Options

A rejection letter for me too....although they did send me a nice Virgin LM running top (given that I omitted to tick the 'give me my £40 back' box if I don't make the cut!!!)

have now applied via a few charities through work

• Options
    Do these get emailed? I've not seen anything
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Do these get emailed? I've not seen anything

Yep I got an email.  Also if you log into your realbuzz account you should see your rejection there. 
  • Options
    Just log into your account, you'll see yes or no on there.  So much quicker than waiting for the magazine or email.
  • Options

No joy for me again, but will attempt the Brighton one I think (and possibly look into the Manchester one too).
    Brighton is one of the worst that I know. The supported areas are great, but there's like 10 miles that really lack support... I've run it twice and both times ended up injured during the race. 

Go abroad, plenty of great ones. Florence is my top tip.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2019
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Just log into your account, you'll see yes or no on there.  So much quicker than waiting for the magazine or email.
    Not anywhere near as rewarding as seeing the cover of the mag though!
  • Options
    Unsuccessful! Oh well.
  • Options
    Me too
  • Options
    I have been accepted for a charity place for Children with Cancer. A nice Charlton based connection too with them being our shirt sponsors this year!
  • Options
    Unsuccessful as well
  • Options
    Paulie, Exile, BetterthanShaun etc

purely out of interest, do any of you regularly run? 
  • Options
    Seems that the London Marathon ballot results are being released

Managed to get a place myself yet in two minds as to whether I've got the fitness to set a good time as dont want to run just for the sake of it - Has anyone else been successful so far?
    8th year on the bounce I’ve missed out on the ballot tho I’ve run London 3 times for charity. Most charities demand you raise two grand minimum and I’ve made those targets purely because my employer matches and x3 whatever I raise. Good luck to those who are running it for the first time. My only advice is do the training otherwise it will turn from one of the best things you’ve done to one of the worse!
  • Options
    edited October 2019

No, but i am trying to find things to do to look forward to and keep me going, was gonna do a silly costume and probably take 7 hours lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I did my London nearly 30 years ago, and targeting 3hrs from my 4k starting position was mightily pissed off to be slaloming in and out of joggers, who had obviously lied about their target time. Took me about 3 miles to hit my sub 7mm average.

So if you are thinking of entering, don't inflate your fitness and spoil it for others.
  • Options

No, but i am trying to find things to do to look forward to and keep me going, was gonna do a silly costume and probably take 7 hours lol
    I wouldn't recommend that unless you're on a charity place and well trained.

Start training anyway, there's plenty of fantastic events throughout the year, you can start by targeting a 5k then progress over months to 10k, then half and full if you wish.

It'll do you some good from a mental health perspective to get out running even if it's only for 20-30 minutes a day. Join a run club and you'll be able to start with people of a similar ability and be able to look forward to the social aspects and support each week.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I did my London nearly 30 years ago, and targeting 3hrs from my 4k starting position was mightily pissed off to be slaloming in and out of joggers, who had obviously lied about their target time. Took me about 3 miles to hit my sub 7mm average.

So if you are thinking of entering, don't inflate your fitness and spoil it for others.
    This winds me up also... The amount of people at events all year round of all distances do it. 

Dont join the sub 21 group on a 5k if you can't run sub 7's. Don't go to the front of a park run if you can't run sub 7's.

Even at London I managed to overtake thousands starting in the 3:30 wave and ending up having to walk jog from about 16 miles I was still overtaking people when I finished in marginally over 4 hrs. If the injury hadn't hit, I should have been finishing around 3:15
  • Options
    I got the ‘commiserations, you didn’t get in but we still allocate an absolute sh*tload of places to ‘charities’ if you want to raise a ridiculous amount of money to pay a CEOs even more ridiculously large salary and other huge outgoings that rarely actually address what you’d really love your money to go towards...’

not bitter in anyway...
    Aha, glad you actually want to run one now :)  Just run one elsewhere, plenty around!
  • Options
    Wow..!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/athletics/49771509

This has just raised the bar significantly for elite distance running. 
  • Options
    Ran 15.62km (9.7miles) on Saturday.  I find using the watch set to KM much easier to pace as opposed to miles as the splits come quicker.  Anyone else find this helps them?
  • Options
    I missed out too, back to Edinburgh it is then 😊
  • Options
    Ran 15.62km (9.7miles) on Saturday.  I find using the watch set to KM much easier to pace as opposed to miles as the splits come quicker.  Anyone else find this helps them?
    Is this the same for measuring you dick in cm rather than inches, you come quicker?