Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Running and Marathon Thread

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:

3:31:47 in driving rain, cold winds and took a big fall at about 11 miles (taken out Mario Kart style by a banana skin.)

Bloody cheating Italian plumbers!!
  • Dazzler21 said:

3:31:47 in driving rain, cold winds and took a big fall at about 11 miles (taken out Mario Kart style by a banana skin.)

Well done fella, that's a very respectable time.
  • Confirmed chip time 3:32:08
  • Dazzler21 said:

Fuck yeah mate, get in!!!!!! That's a brilliant time!

I've only just opened this thread but as I started running again about ten weeks ago I'll start posting in here. Was training for a marathon before injury and illness hit a couple years back.
  • Have started trying to get fit.

I've never trained, I'm not quick, and my fitness is poor due to smoking/drinking but have found a buzz for it.

Thought I would struggle to even do a 3k to start with! It was no bother though - I suppose being 20 years old means it's not exactly hard to start and I have knocked around 5 minutes off my 3k time in 2 weeks to 15 minutes which was pleasing.

I've done a couple of 5ks and now I'm going to try and speed those up a bit and then start increasing the distances.

All that said, I'm also trying to bulk up a bit, so the shorter runs are quite useful as a warm up before I move elsewhere in the gym - any tips on how to better balance the two?

Eyeing up The Great South Run - think that's a very achievable goal.
  • Great South Run is an excellent goal

It was the first ever "race" that I did and is a perfect start to running 10-miles races because its a completely flat course - Wishing you the best of luck with your training

One thing I'll say though is keep an eye when the Great South is on... Should you drive down to Portsmouth then it can be a bugger of a place to get out of afterwards; one year I did it there were engineering works so no trains... Meant the roads were a nightmare and took me an hour just to get out of there
  • SDAddick said:

Dazzler21 said:

I've only just opened this thread but as I started running again about ten weeks ago I'll start posting in here. Was training for a marathon before injury and illness hit a couple years back.
    Thanks. Don't think I'll run many more Marathons the training is just too time consuming for my lifestyle.

Start with smaller events and build up if you have an intended time I hugely recommend the Asics training plans (available on Google)
  • my club's draw for london marathon places took place this morning at our xmas morning race and my name came out of the hat. now have Brighton followed by London a week later so suppose I should get training. I've run marathons without training before but 2 in 8 days is probably pushing it
  • I'm not running anywhere tonight after what I've drank and eaten
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

Dazzler21 said:

This thread has been quiet a while now.... How's your return to running gone?
  • Coincidentally I am registered for Brighton marathon, having cut my running back down to 2-3 4 mile runs a week.

I am also in the London ballot and hoping for a double header.
  • I'm still injured after the 2016 VLM. 2 years, 3 months and counting :(
  • JohnBoyUK said:

I'm still injured after the 2016 VLM. 2 years, 3 months and counting :(

Jesus that's a very nasty injury if that's the case!
  • edited July 2018
    Skipped some pages so sorry if I'm repeating but I got my place (a while back admittedly) by volunteering to do marshalling duties the previous year. An inspiring experience in itself without the pain. Not sure if it still applies.
  • Dazzler21 said:

JohnBoyUK said:

I'm still injured after the 2016 VLM. 2 years, 3 months and counting :(

Jesus that's a very nasty injury if that's the case!
    Hmm. Suspected hip flexor problem, then hernia, then double hernia, went to see two surgeons and both that not hernia and a groin tear. Then had a dodgy back and misalligned pelvis and here we are no better 2.5 years later. Pissed off dont come close. Gone from running 40 miles a week to watching shit TV in the evenings.
  • Just got back on to the running machine again for the first time since a knee injury in July... ambulance needed!
  • Did feel great though.

Satisfying, yet frustrating that I'm right back at the start.
  • Did feel great though.

Satisfying, yet frustrating that I'm right back at the start.

Well done fella. Just think in a weeks time, you’ll you’ll no longer be back at the start 👍🏻
  • Any recommendations for running lights please? Had a £15 headlamp from sports direct which was OK at first but batteries died last night mid run and had only used them for a few runs.

Also not very bright so need something a bit more powerful and reliable if anyone has any suggestions
  • Sponsored links:

• Good luck to anyone running the LM today.
  • Lovely day for running it seems... Not too hot but not too windy either
  • Tracking @Dazzler21 and he went through 10k in 48 mins, very impressive. 

Jacko in 50 mins
    I couldn't get near that even if I didn't have another 30k odd to go!
  • Jacko nearly done, on course for a sub 4hr finish
  • All done, well done Jacko 
  • Good luck to all the Addicks taking part in this morning's London Marathon, especially our very own @johnnie_jackson & @bentalbot2. Make sure you give us a wave as you pass The Valley!