Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Running and Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    training for the London marathon myself! very hard!
  • Options
    Have done 20 in training for Brighton in April. Did 18.5 miles in 2hr 40 on Sunday, am hoping to squeak in under 4 hrs so that I'm never tempted to sign up for this again.

Doing it for Demelza if anyone has any spare cash after donating to the protest fund! Though I guess anyone reading the Marathon thread is probably in the same fund raising boat.

https://www.justgiving.com/Tom-Kiely1/
  • Options
    Training for London also....but doing it in the sunnier climbs of Atlanta, Georgia. (Hoping that the heat, hills and humidity will hold me in good stead for flat London town at the end of April!)

This is marathon number 5 for me but hoping to break 4 hours for the first time, ran 20 miles on Saturday in 3hrs 1min....just hope I can hold it together those last few miles as I normally fall apart around 21/22 haha.

Any help on getting over that hump will be appreciated. I'm currently running negative splits which seem to be helping in the latter half of long runs.
  • Options
    Strangely enough 3hrs 1min is exactly my time for 20 miles so far! I was flagging pretty badly at that stage and I know I'm going to slow, just a question of how much.

Uncharted territory for me, but I'm expecting much the same as your experience ...
  • Options
    Apart from struggling with a virus for the best part of 3 weeks when I didnt run for 4 days then 5 days, I've probably trained more consistently for this than I have for my previous 5. I'm feeling strong, both knees feel fairly good so its so far so good but will mean absolutely nothing until we're at the start line!

Have run a good few long runs now but have been very conservative. 4 x 17m and 3 x 18m. 5 of the 7 have been after work, running back from Whitechapel to Petts Wood or Bexleyheath. Having a daughter at weekends doesn't suit marathon training so I have to mix it up.

The thing for me that has felt like it has made the difference are back-to-back long tempo runs of 10-12 miles. Running them on consecutice days is supposed to replicate the running on tired legs in the latter part of the marathon. The last 18.5m I managed at 9:15 min/mile pace (6 secs/mile off the magic sub 4 pace!) and ran the last 2 of it well inside so maybe it is working.

One thing I will say, half of the battle is in the head. I trained well last year for Brighton. I was on sub 4 pace to half way then the cramp kicked in and the 2nd half took 45 mins longer than the first. I still have that nagging doubt in the back of my mind every time I pass 13 miles now. Brighton destroyed me mentally and it took me a long time to get over the disapointment. I'm trying to distance myself from having the sub 4 at my set in stone target. All I want is to better my PB of 4:26.

FFS, I've just typed another essay, sorry!

• Options
    Great to hear other peoples story's....always better when you find out you are not alone haha.

Johnboy, I agree that back to back runs definitely help, I followed up my 20 on Saturday by running 5 on the Sunday. At the start of Sundays run my legs were like lead but by half way I was at 9:15 pace and by the time I finished I'd got it back to 9:08.

I know exactly what you mean about cramps ruining you mentally, I ran Cincinnati 2 years ago and at mile 19 was still on for a 3:50 finish....only to completely crash and finish in 4:20. I'm absolutely determined not to let that happen this time and if it means running slower than goal time for the first 20 miles and then seeing what I have left to try and push on then so be it.

London looks like such a crowded course....my only other doubt is the amount of weaving. Any past runners know how to combat that?

• Options
    8 days to go....how is everyone's taper going?

I've suddenly picked up a hamstring strain which is making me panic big time.
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

8 days to go....how is everyone's taper going?

I've suddenly picked up a hamstring strain which is making me panic big time.

Erm currently dosed up on flu meds and antibiotics. Havent ran for 5 days. Cracking taper lol
  • Options
    Wishing you all the best for London and Brighton - just back myself from Manchester. Apologies for the self promotion but if you like read about one aging addick's marathon experience at Manchester Marathon blog
  • Options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

For those looking for a program to follow I have used Hal Higdon's which you can get off t'internet. Pretty good structure and advice from one of the sages of the sport.

On another note I have just had a hernia operated on so out of the running for now. Anyone tell me how long is a conservative recovery time (and yes I realise it's a "how long is a piece of string" type question)? I had an umbilical hernia if that makes any difference. Right now shuffling down the road and tying my laces is a real challenge but for someone only four days after the procedure seems to be progressing ok.

Its been a while since we had a bump of this thread.

All through the VLM training I'd been suffering from what I thought were sore hip flexors. Got through the marathon ok, had a rest for 2 weeks but when I started up again, I literally could only managed 200m before I had to stop because they were so sore. Went on honeymoon for 3 weeks and even after that I was still seriously sore (ha, from the hips, the hips and nothing but the hips before anyone says anything!) Went to the physio and he wondered if I had a dodgy hip. Gave me some exercise for 4 weeks and it made no difference. He put me on the treadmill and knew within about 30 seconds from where I pointed to where the pain was coming from that I likely had a hernia. Turns out after the ultrasound, I've got a double hernia.

So I need surgery. Because of holidays over the next 6 weeks, I'm looking at mid September before I have it done privately. I'm absolutely petrified of needles, hospitals, blood, anything clinical, you name it I usually pass out so I'm starting hypnotherapy treatment this week to see if that helps me as I think I'm going to struggle mentally. Its killing me not running, I've only ran 3 miles since London :(

I'm absolutely dreading the op but it needs to be done. Eeek.
  • Options
    @JohnBoyUK I've been getting pains for a while while running which started to get much worse recently even when not running so I ended up in hospital yesterday getting checked out before I headed off on holiday today- I have a suspected hernia, scans to be arranged when I get back home but suspect I'm going to be in for surgery too

on the bright side I've been out for a 30 mile bike ride today and not felt a thing so at least I know I can still train even if not running much
  • Options
    rina said:

@JohnBoyUK I've been getting pains for a while while running which started to get much worse recently even when not running so I ended up in hospital yesterday getting checked out before I headed off on holiday today- I have a suspected hernia, scans to be arranged when I get back home but suspect I'm going to be in for surgery too

on the bright side I've been out for a 30 mile bike ride today and not felt a thing so at least I know I can still train even if not running much

The discomfort comes and goes. I walk around 5-6 miles a day what with the commute to/from the office and stuff. Some days are good and it wont bother me, then have 3-4 days where my groin is just so sore and today is one of them. Have been doing some gardening to make up for the lack of running and think I overdone it a bit yesterday. Have done a bit of cycling on the turbo and it felt reasonably ok and same on my Erg.

Really need to get my mojo back, have lost all motivation to train now. Think I just need to get the next 6 weeks out of the way, get the op done then worry about it all afterwards!
  • Options
    Meant to say, hope you get sorted @Rina
  • Options
    Any of my fellow Addicks running the Royal Parks Half?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Time to bump this thread as I stare into the face of my newest training plan and challenge... 21 weeks until Florence Marathon and I will be taking on the challenge of a sub 3.45 (dream would be sub 3.30)

Any tips from people that have run more than one would be hugely appreciated especially if you've matched/beaten a 3:30/3:45 time.

Many thanks

Darrel
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Time to bump this thread as I stare into the face of my newest training plan and challenge... 21 weeks until Florence Marathon and I will be taking on the challenge of a sub 3.45 (dream would be sub 3.30)

Any tips from people that have run more than one would be hugely appreciated especially if you've matched/beaten a 3:30/3:45 time.

Many thanks

Darrel

Run really REALLY fast is the best tip I can offer... :)

On a serious note... Good luck, I never managed to reach that time in Marathon distance
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Many thanks

Darrel

Whats your best HM time so far?!

3:45 is quick. Even some of the better, more experienced runners at my running club dont get even close to 3:45.

First tip, if its your first marathon, forget times, just concentrate on finishing it.

Build up slowly. Dont increase your overall weekly mileage by more than 10% each week otherwise you'll risk injury.

If you get injured, dont try and run the marathon, like I did the VLM last year. I should have pulled out but ran it with a torn groin. Am still recovering 15 months later. Run with your head, not your heart.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I was on target for a 3.30 in my first marathon back in 2013 when my IT band blew up. This years plan is to target 3:30 and be happy with anything under 3:45. Last year was intense in terms of distances but I actually finished the year slower than I started it. I want to finish 2017 as the fastest version of myself across distance.

It's not the first as stated above, but I hope it can be my last! (unless the london ballot pays out)

Cheers for the advice @JohnBoyUK.
  • Options
    In that case, off to Runners World for the 3:30 training plan you go.

Dont forget your intervals, they hurt like hell but they help so much!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @JohnBoyUK What did you do for cross training days? I'm no longer a member of a gym therefore I find this one a bit tough and it seems I need to apply to cross training 2 days a week and run 4 days a week :neutral:
  • Options
    For my last marathon, I didn't cross train at all.

I was following some plan where you run 4/5 days out of 7 and it was about cumulative build up in the legs as opposed to all out distance. I think I only ran 18 miles once and 16 miles twice in the build up, cant remember exactly now.

I'll dig out the data for you and have a look. Alternatively, go back a few pages, no doubt I've posted previously
  • Options
    So in my training I did Reigate Half Marathon, clocking a new PB... Which was nice.

1 Hour 36 Minutes 40 Seconds. After 7 miles I was on target for a 1:31-ish, really flagged in miles 10-12
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

So in my training I did Reigate Half Marathon, clocking a new PB... Which was nice.

1 Hour 36 Minutes 40 Seconds. After 7 miles I was on target for a 1:31-ish, really flagged in miles 10-12

Blimey, you'll be pretty much bang on your sub 3:30 for the marathon if you keep that up!
  • Options
    Reigate is a tough old course, really recommend it. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Anyone know when in October the London Marathon Ballot places are confirmed?

Entered for the 2018 Marathon and is my first attempt since 2009 (didnt run that year though) so cant remember
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    All applicants will hear the outcome of their ballot entry in the first week of October 2017.

It's the race that I just assume I won't get into these days and so I sign up then forget until people start posting their Sorry/You're in magazines.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Dazzler21 said:

All applicants will hear the outcome of their ballot entry in the first week of October 2017.

Cheers thats what I thought... Debating whether to run for Charity yet hate fundraising and hate the fact that the London Marathon is dominated by charities and that regular club runners barely get a sniff unless they too apply for a Charity place themselves!!

Felt so awkward doing it in 2007 because I (stupidly) entered a long completion time when I applied when meant I started quite a way back down the field and got stuck in traffic with people giving up and walking all over the place meaning I got trapped, also meant I was one of the few that I could see running around in my club colours rather than a Charity vest
  • Options
    Last year was the last running based fundraiser I will do.

It's tough as you feel you're harassing people for their money...

Then you come on CL and are left stunned and a little emotional about the generous, fantastic, friendly and supportive community we have.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Last year was the last running based fundraiser I will do.

It's tough as you feel you're harassing people for their money...

Then you come on CL and are left stunned and a little emotional about the generous, fantastic, friendly and supportive community we have.

Yeah is probably why I wont bother trying for a Charity place.

Its a shame because come the Hastings / Tunbridge Wells Half-Marathon and countless 10km / 10-mile events around Kent that I'd done, the number of entries was minimal (I know they have limits themselves) yet for some reason the London Marathon is one of those things EVERYONE has to do in their life, they're like the plastic fans you get when Charlton were in the Premier League!!