Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What's your favorite memory at Charlton?

Recently there's been a lot of doom and gloom around here and divisiveness among the fan base. I figured i'd change that up a little by posting a topic about the thing that brings us together, our favorite team!

For me my favorite memory at Charlton was the first time I saw the team play. It was during Curbs last season in charge and I was in London with my mom and dad on vacation. We saw Charlton beat Middlesbrough at The Valley with 2 goals from Benty. We all thoroughly enjoyed the game!

Another of my favorite memories was when I won a fan contest on the old site and had a Charlton jersey shipped to me in the US from the UK.

Come on everyone, let's get some positive thoughts here! Up the Addicks!

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Probably the Boxing Day 4-2 against Chelsea. Also a midweek 2-0 against Liverpool, I think they were European Champions and Luke Young scored.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
  • Options
    From a footballing point of view it was the aforementioned 4-2 win against Chelsea on Boxing Day, I don't think it could have been better.

From a personnel point of view, there's a few which stick out, the 5-0 win against WBA in the (I think) the playoff year, my son was a mascot, just before that he broke his big toe and was plastered from toe to knee, seeing him hobbling out there with paddy Powell trying to stop him from going on the pitch as he might have damaged it, shame night proud mum who had never been to football, seat on her own slightly away from us was severely told off and threatened with forced removal from the ground as she not knowing the rules had brought a half go lager and seat in her seat peacefully supping away. Mind you I have great respect for those stewards, I wouldn't have tried to take a drink off my wife :-)
  • Options
    It's often forgotten that those who started watching Charlton in the 60's watched nothing but crap for the best part of 20 years. There was the odd success, but very rare. We seemed to be fighting an annual relegation battle and as a supporter who travelled the country we seemed to get beat everywhere. Then Lennie came along and we moved to
    Selhurst park and the unbelievable happened, we played every game away from the Valley and got promoted. To me, the promotion season changed the club I supported from losers to winners. What Lennie achieved was unbelievable.
  • Options
    I don't have a favorite memory, being British, but I do have three favourite memories. One is all the money I made on the turnstiles of the PNE promotion game - the entry was 95p, we weren't given a float by the club, so I had no change to give to people giving me a £1. The second is winning 0-2 in the snow at the toolbox. The other is the play-off final.
  • Options

...For me my favorite memory at Charlton was the first time I saw the team play. It was during Curbs last season in charge and I was in London with my mom and dad on vacation. We saw Charlton beat Middlesbrough at The Valley with 2 goals from Benty. We all thoroughly enjoyed the game!...

Wow, you picked the right game there American Addick. My memories of the Middlesbrough games are that they were the dullest bore-draws ever. You some how picked a gone 'un. Were you committed to supporting Charlton before the match, or was that a result of the win? Just wondering whether, if it hadn't been for Darren Bent, you could have been on OneBoro right now talking about Mark Viduka's wonder goal.
  • Options
    Monday 25th May 1998
  • Options
    Definitely 5 December 1992. Was in the covered end and in tears. Tears of pure joy!
  • Options
    Standing with my grandfather at the top of the east terrace the view was fantastic , in them days no canary wharf you could see for miles , in football terms the day we came back home v pompey the happiness that day was great .

So many great football memories at the home of football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Play off final at Wembley. I can re-watch that video over and over again!
  • Options
    Not sure if best memory....but the best I have felt leaving the Valley was Claus' injury time winner v Blackburn.

From the elation of 2-0, to the despair of 2-2 when Friedel scored FFS....then back up to elation....all in a few minutes.

Atmosphere coming out of the ground was amazing.
  • Options
    @Stig and @SuedeAdidas - spooky fellas :-0
  • Options
    Beating Palace 85/86 when Mark Reid took 3 pens
    First game back
    4-3 Pardew knee slide v Southend in 94
    Beating Ipswich in the Play offs
    First Game in the prem and thinking we would win the league
    4-2 v West Ham when Mills ruined Julian Dicks
    1-0 win against Arsenal
    Various wins against Chelsea and Spurs
    A load more during the 02-05 glory years which you forget over time
    The friday night against Palace
    Winning league one against Hartlepool
    Any games when I bring the boy and convert him to this life of misery
  • Options
    After years of suffering going back to the valley for the first game back, sitting in my seat in the North (where I used to stand), small crowd but fantastic atmosphere, actually brought a tear to my eye.
  • Options
    The 2-0 win at the Toolbox in December 1995 - unbelievable night, had everything.

Wembley 1998.

Leeds Play-Off at St Andrews 1987.

Chelsea 1-1 Away 1988.

Arsenal 2-2 Away 1989.

Norwich 2-1 FMC Semi-Final 1987.
  • Options
    Beating the league leaders Derby 2-0 in the sixties. At the end of the game a granny had a go at me because Treacy had roughed up McFarland. Amyone would have thought I had done it!
  • Options
    John Robinsons equaliser for 3-3 against United is the stand out premiership moment for me and tha Raza 30 yard screamer at Hillsborough in injury time the year we got to wembley.
  • Options
    Men in Black away victory over the Gunners!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brighton 7 Charlton 0. I was sitting in the home end (please don't get the wrong idea) and recall the rapturous celebrations from the travelling faithful when the addicks won a corner in the final minutes. I'm normally on my best behaviour when watching away games in home areas, but on that occasion gave it the big 'un, much to the amusement of those around me.
  • Options

Probably the Boxing Day 4-2 against Chelsea.

This plus Lisbie's hat-trick against Liverpool....

• Options
    Sitting in my dad's green Triumph 2000 for what felt like hours on end right outside The Horse & Groom whilst having the occasional bottle of coke and prawn cocktail crisps passed through the window to me.
  • Options
    2 (if I may be so bold!).
    My first ever game v Sheff Utd in Oct 76. My late Dad took me after (probably) feeling guilty that family friends had, a couple of weeks before, taken me to Arsenal for my first ever game of football. We sat in the old West Stand and I remember being amazed at the vastness of the East Terrace and how the fans looked so lost on it! Charlton won 3-2.

Taking my (then) 6 year old son to his first game (Exeter in FA Cup, 2003) and have carried on going with him ever since - and we love it! We live in Norwich (pretty much all his life) and he has had every opportunity to jump on another team's bandwagon. But no, he has stuck with Charlton, has been away mascot twice, and I love it when he gets peed off when results are pants - it shows what CAFC means to him.

(PS: I still sometimes get to Arsenal also - sorry GH - but it's in the blood! Bloody miss Highbury though!)
  • Options
    Mine was the ipswich playoff game at the valley in '98. When it ended I could not believe that I was going to see us at wembley! I don't remember much of the game, just the feeling at the end!

On the flip side my worst was the Sheff Wed game at the valley the next season. I still believed we could stay up, right up until they scored. then it sunk in that it was over!
  • Options
    League Cup v Crystal Palace 9 years ago. Oh and the Play off final was quite good as well
  • Options
    Jensen floating the ball ever sooo slowly over the head of Seaman into the net! It was the only time I've ever saw an action replay live!
  • Options
    Powell's goal against Coventry.
    A few last minute winners: Iwelumo vs Southampton 2007, Reid vs Southend 2010? and El Karkouri's free kick vs Blackburn 2006.
  • Options
    Seeing grass.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    One of mine was an away game at Sunderland I think it was NLA's first game outside London.won 2-0 and he was giving it large to the stand next to us. Then seeing his face as a couple of the lumps he was giving it to walked up onto our terrace. Must have been about 1990/91 ish where the years gone lol