Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Weegie Words

So my username comes from the fact I live in Glasgow, and Glaswegians are affectionately dubbed "weegies"...(or maybe not so affectionately in some cases!)

Well, the local evening paper has just published a list of "weegie words" - I take particular pride in number 32:

32. Weegie word: nigel

Translation: used to describe someone with no friends or when a situation is thrust upon you which means you end up being left alone.

Usage: Aye, I started ma new joab the day, I am pure nigel nae pals, naebody will talk to me.

The full list is here, just in case they crop up in my future posts:

eveningtimes.co.uk/opinion/u/the-weegie-words-20-terms-that-prove-you-come-from-glasgow.1391427597

Comments

• Options
    Ha, ha, great stuff, I said that line out loud as well and sounded like a proper Scotsman :-)

I can't wait to see "Leroy Words"
  • Options
    Love that Weegie. Got a couple of good weegie pals as well.

They use pretty much all of those! 'Pish' and 'proper greetin' are my faves. To see all in one place if you've not seen it, have a watch of Still Game. One of my fave comedies and massively underrated.
  • Options
    Used to work with a Scottish fellow who always used to tell me to "shut my Geggy". One would presume he means mouth??
  • Options
    New one on me, Brendan - so your guess is as good as mine!
  • Options

New one on me, Brendan - so your guess is as good as mine!

Let's hope he meant mouth, eh Weegie!! ;-)
  • Options
    red_murph said:

Love that Weegie. Got a couple of good weegie pals as well.

They use pretty much all of those! 'Pish' and 'proper greetin' are my faves. To see all in one place if you've not seen it, have a watch of Still Game. One of my fave comedies and massively underrated.

And its predecessor "Chewin the Fat" is great too and has a bigger range of characters. Helps if you are Scottish though!
  • Options
    Yep. Geggie (to give it its correct spelling :-) ) means mouth
  • Options
    I have a good friend who comes originally from Easterhouse in Glasgow. She flummoxed me once by saying" D'ye think my heed buttons up the back?". Great phrase though!