Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bob Crow.

edited February 2014 in Not Sports Related
Bob Crow
Hero or villain ?
Would you want him representing you?

Comments

• Spanner, enough said.
  • Can someone explain to me how someone who earns £150k a year has access to a council house?

That's all I need to say. Scum.
  • Was hoping this was a RIP thread
  • Swisdom said:

Was hoping this was a RIP thread

Me to.
  • He does what he thinks is right for his members. He has a whip hand and uses it effectively. He does to employers customers exactly what employers do to workers when they hold all the cards.

• Wish he was my union rep to be honest
  • As an employee you would want someone like him representing you. He certainly gets what he can for his members.
  • How about take one off the Millwall supporter and build one less?
  • Sponsored links:

• Brilliant article by Littlejohn on him today.

Even some of the staunchest Labour voters must be embarrased by him.

I am sure he is a good union rep, but when only 30% of his members agree with him you have to question whether he is working for his members or trying to get one in the eye of those nasty Tory Eton toffs.
  • Dinasour.
  • Spanner, hypocritical scumbag.
  • On a £150k salary he should be able to buy his council house.

Now that would be a Spanner in the works.
  • I don't agree with what Boris is doing BUT around 70% of the membership either voted no to strike action or didn't vote at all. Not much of a mandate for strike action.
  • Total scum bag
  • I don't agree with what Boris is doing BUT around 70% of the membership either voted no to strike action or didn't vote at all. Not much of a mandate for strike action.

It's a nonsense argument, for example only 38% of Londoners voted in the 2012 mayoral elections, does that mean Boris lacks a mandate to be Mayor, because 62% didn't vote? Or did he have a bigger mandate in '08 when 46% of Londoners voted.

• Striking in general is something I dont agree with, so being the worst of the worst, Bob Crow doesnt sit easy with me.

I dont have the option of staying at home and going on strike if I want a pay rise, or I dont like the way my dept is being run. I am bloody lucky to have a job and just have to get on with it.

Dont want this turning in to a political thread so best leave it there!
  • Sponsored links:

Agreed, but that is the same with voting in Governments rarely do the people who run this country have a majority (I am assuming that the combination of ConDems does have a majority of those that voted but not those that are eligible to vote). If people do not agree with the strike, which presumably means they will lose wages, Then they should get off their butts and vote.
  • edited February 2014
    Kap10 said:

I don't agree with what Boris is doing BUT around 70% of the membership either voted no to strike action or didn't vote at all. Not much of a mandate for strike action.

Agreed, but that is the same with voting in Governments rarely do the people who run this country have a majority (I am assuming that the combination of ConDems does have a majority of those that voted but not those that are eligible to vote). If people do not agree with the strike, which presumably means they will lose wages, Then they should get off their butts and vote.
    Agree with this but still think Crow is an utter

• edited February 2014
    We've had this discussion before, I think. In general I'm a supporter of the Trade Union movement and was a member of Unite.(Depressingly, that useless outfit thinks I still am despite my resignation many years ago!)
    Crow's members and some on here think he is doing a great job. I disagree.
    For the actual current membership, right now, maybe, but for the future size, position and effectiveness of his Union he is being a bad servant.
    First, change happens, even, eventually, for a Luddite like Crow.
    It is pointless protesting about keeping something that no one uses. Ticket offices and their staff are a total and complete waste of resources. Oyster and the internet has made them irrelevant.
    Second, Crow's on-going battles with TfL mean that driverless trains will become inevitable. (They probably always were but Crow, almost single-handedly has ensured it will be sooner rather than later.) He is killing the goose that lays the golden egg.
    Third, Crow's "strike first negotiate second" stance is very bad indeed for London's economy.
  • To be honest I think what Boris is doing is fair enough, you probably don't need anywhere near as many Ticket Office staff because of Oyster cards and automatic terminals - not to mention the looming revolution in Mobile Payments.

But there is no point the Tories whinging and bitching about Crow and his power, if they want anything to change they will have to take him on - but have they got the balls to do it or is it easier to strike a deal and have a quiet life?
  • Striking in general is something I dont agree with, so being the worst of the worst, Bob Crow doesnt sit easy with.

You do not agree with working people having the ability to strike?
  • edited February 2014

Striking in general is something I dont agree with, so being the worst of the worst, Bob Crow doesnt sit easy with.

You do not agree with working people having the ability to strike?
    I can't strike and wouldn't want to.

Are the candle makers still on strike following the invention of electricity?
  • Up the workers
  • The 'people didn't vote' argument does really hold much ground, there wouldn't be a government if that was the case.

He's probably the 'best' in a very unpopular line of work, so he's going to be demonised by most. Bet the people in the union love him though.
  • I go back to a point I made earlier. If a Vauxhall worker goes on strike then apart from a few people getting their new cars late it is the employer that suffers from the lost production. Its a union-employer argument. In the case of Crowe, its the millions of customers that pay not the TfL management. Its the union against the people - not what unions are about, surely?
  • Striking in general is something I dont agree with, so being the worst of the worst, Bob Crow doesnt sit easy with me.

I dont have the option of staying at home and going on strike if I want a pay rise, or I dont like the way my dept is being run. I am bloody lucky to have a job and just have to get on with it.

Dont want this turning in to a political thread so best leave it there!

I got this far and had to stop reading.