Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Richard Murray

I wonder what he thinks of all the current going on's at Charlton. There were some suggestions that under the reign of TJ & MS he should walk as a show of support for those such as PV and SK and that he couldn't have been happy at the way the Club was being run, at some of the dubious business practices being used, at various decisions being made and the loss of so many valued, experienced staff.

Now he must surely be pained at the way CP is being undermined left right and centre. He no longer has any financial involvement at the Club. It doesn't look as if RD is listening to anything he might be saying so why would he be hanging around in such circumstances. I am not trying to be controversial here or start another inflammatory debate but am just curious as to the extent of his involvement and what he can actually achieve that benefits him being there.

Comments

• Options
    perhaps he is an island of calm in a sea of turbulence .. yet caught between a rock and a hard place .. he seems to be the go-between betwixt the new and ancient(ish) regimes .. I'm sure that whatever he does, no matter how left field it might appear to some of us amateur observers, he has the best interests of CAFC at heart, especially the survival of the (football) club
  • Options
    Perhaps he cares about the club and thinks he can use his influence for the greater good,
    perhaps he feels a responsibility for the mistakes of the past and wants to try and right the wrongs and then go out on a high,
    perhaps he wants to add some stability in this time of change
    or perhaps he's on an earn out :0)

• Options

he couldn't have been happy at the way the Club was being run, at some of the dubious business practices being used,

The rumblings about this and particularly the departure of SK in relation to these are really concerning me.

Is RM just there to keep hold of the cupboard keys?

• Options
    He certainly doesn't appear to be doing a great deal at the moment. Time to speak up and be heard. By the board, the manager, the players and the fans.
  • Options
    Does it occur to anyone that he might not really care anymore as long as he gets his money back?

Stop living in the past, people!
  • Options
    I really dont believe that Boggzy. He is a charlton fan like the rest of us i really cant imagine he just couldnt give two shits. If that was the case then he could well have sought to reclaim his debt already.
  • Options
    boggzy said:

Does it occur to anyone that he might not really care anymore as long as he gets his money back?

Have you ever seen him when Charlton score?

One thing for sure, he loves CAFC as much as the most ardent fan.

• Options
    boggzy said:

He'll never get his money back that he has put in over the years. And I can assure you that he still cares very much. And reads CL too much for his own good.

• Options
    Richard Murray is a real Charlton legend and to question his motives for still being at the club is discraceful
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How do we know he still has no money in us?

• Options
    OK, of course I know he's a fan. Part of me thought he may just not need the stress at his age, but I admit my comment was rash.

However, I don't think he's ever going to publically come out and address anyone's concerns (including his). I just feel doubtful that any of his advice would be taken on board by RD, and given some of his decisions taken over the last 8 or 9 years I'm not sure I'd want it to be, anyway.
  • Options
    Thought he grew up supporting Wolves.
  • Options
    How do you know he reads c life prague?
  • Options

Well if you are reading this Mr. Murray. I for one am in the RM is a legend camp.

Seconded!
  • Options
    Yes thanks for Dowie, Richard.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Yep RM Charlton Hero, will always have the greatest respect for the man who was such a big part in making Charlton the club i was proud to support as a kid and still am.

Edited to keep Airman happy, i hope ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I don't think RM's a legend:

1. a traditional story sometimes popularly regarded as historical but not authenticated (nope, that's Robin Hood)
    2. an extremely famous or notorious person, especially in a particular field (I don't think that's quite what you mean either)
    3. an inscription, especially on a coin or medal (made at the Murray mint, perhaps?)

• Options
    RM knows better than anyone just how close we have come to administration. He also knows who has offered to buy the club, their likely intentions and their financial clout. The perfect new owner obviously never appeared so he has had accept a compromise. That compromise has stabilised the club financially but has meant that Powell has less authority over first team matters. Like everything in life it's a balancing act. But at the end of the day, everyone at the club is getting paid and is still employed. Powell has to decide, can he live with it and go along for the ride, or does he walk away. If it were me, I'd give it a go for a while and see how it works out. Richard Murray may not like some of the things he is seeing, but I have no doubt that he is accepting it for the good of the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be perfectly honest, I expect the reason that RM is still around is because the club owes him so much money that he has a huge financial interest in the club. That and despite his mismanagement's he is Charlton through and through.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

To be perfectly honest, I expect the reason that RM is still around is because the club owes him so much money that he has a huge financial interest in the club. That and despite his mismanagement's he is Charlton through and through.

What are you implying? It's clear that the other directors were also creditors of the club. So either a new owner would have paid enough to clear those debts, or the directors would have agreed to write off those debts. If Slater was even half truthful when he claimed that he "transferred 1m/month" then clearly all directors were faced with taking a haircut if they were to find a buyer. If RM is still an outstanding creditor, that will be his choice. You presumably are familiar with the last company accounts, and there will be a new set, I think in the summer, which should clarify all of this.

As for his 'mismanagement', may I ask whether you had any interest in CAFC in 1991?

(edit) I now see that you've only been a fan since 2006. In which case you won't have lived through most of the Murray years, which brought success on a scale unprecedented for us older fans. So give him a break, eh?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Prague, I get the feeling if we ended up in the blue square southern (or whatever it is) under his stewardship, you would still dismiss any criticism of the man citing circa 1991.

It's 2014 now!!, which means AA has been a fan during the last eight years - *that* is precisely why he is talking about RM's mismanagement. Is he not allowed to make a (correct) judgment based on that? Or does he just ignore all the bad decisions in lieu of the history books?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Suspect he may be the equivalent of the lib dems in the coalition - doesnt have the final say on anything, but can offer a moderating point of view and put things into a historical context for those who are new to CAFC.

A good analogy, though he might not appreciate being compared to Nick Clegg :-)
  • Options
    I wonder, how on earth will the resignation of RM would help our situation?

IMO it would make the situation worse, not better.

The club (i.e. new owners) came out and said that they will be bringing wages down to an affordable level, so as to secure the long term viability of the club. They were/are in an awkward position with regard to the running down of contracts for key players; Yann and Dale were obviously part of that inherited problem. If the club made them an offer of an extension to their contracts (which I hear they did but have no way of knowing), then what more could they have done?

It is hugely disappointing to lose these players at any time, now we are fighting survival it is more so but, it is a gamble which ever way it is managed now. Paying more money than the club can afford on wages (I'm making an assumption here but, it seems a logical one) on one hand or replacing them with unknown quantities, when it is possible we will be relegated on the other. Both are gambles, I'd rather that gamble takes place with RM in situe.

The new owners obviously do not see our situation as an excuse to throw good business sense (or at least their version of it) out of the window, others might argue it has worsened our position, we will only know at the end of the season. Perhaps they all trust CP to get us out of it.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Of course everything he did in the earlier years should never be forgotten (and won't be). I just think the latter years should not be forgotten, either. I note, Peanuts, you list nothing from the debit side of the ledger. Also, the fact that things went 'tits up' as a result of his decisions, meaning that the 'taking on the burden' in 2010 was also a product of his own mismanagement.

Anyway, I think the subject of RM is where people hold very strong views one way or another, and debate isn't really likely to change any one's mind.
  • Options
    boggzy said:

Prague, I get the feeling if we ended up in the blue square southern (or whatever it is) under his stewardship, you would still dismiss any criticism of the man citing circa 1991.

It's 2014 now!!, which means AA has been a fan during the last eight years - *that* is precisely why he is talking about RM's mismanagement. Is he not allowed to make a (correct) judgment based on that? Or does he just ignore all the bad decisions in lieu of the history books?

I think you're being incredibly harsh on RM here. As far as I can see, Murray made one very poor decision in his tenure which was the appointment of Iain Dowie, which I will admit I was absolutely flabbergasted and fuming about.

Aside from this from an outside perspective (and with no knowledge of financial intricacies) it seems to me that things just didnt work out for us and this was not primarily down to RMs decisions. The appointment of Pardew at the time seemed the perfect one and was widely praised. He made a decent effort at keeping us up. We were then relegated in what seemed to be reasonable financial state. Removed higher earners, sold £20m plus worth of players, kept crowds up, and reinvested in the squad. The players we reinvested in were down to Pardew, who was responsible for football side of things, and seemed to have earned that trust. He also had the full backing of the supporters at that time. The players he signed seemed on paper to be sensible - Varney, Mccarthy, Zheng Zhi, even Mouatakil and McLeod. The fact they didnt work out is Pardew's fault not RMs. He made an error in appointing Parkinson which may have compounded our relegation but by that point it appeared that we were already in financial problems and damage to the footballing side had been done by Pards.

We then made a decent first of promotion at the first attempt, and then he sold up with us in the play offs at the second time around.

There are very few if any certainties in football. Richard Murray has on the whole done a superb job for Charlton Athletic and even now we are unquestionably in much better condition than when he became involved. Things haven't worked out in the last 7.5 years and that is partly due to some misjudgements from Murray but in my view they were not inexplicable errors - these things happen in football its a difficult and unforgiving sport especially in this ludicrous age when there are fine lines between huge financial disparities etc.
  • Options
    In short - it is all Iain Dowie's fault and he should be whipped, flogged and banished to live in Dundee and work in lower division Scottish football coverage.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    'Things haven't worked out in the last 7.5 years'

Oh right, thanks.