Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Standard Liege (page 12, rumours of new bid)

Comments

• 2-1 up in the Champions League at Panathinaikos going into the second half.
  • vffvff
    edited August 2014
    Panathinakos have hit the bar twice with one header bouncing down onto the goal line but fortunately for Liege not over the line.

Another good shooting chance at the near post but the Greek forward fluffs it. Still pushing forward. The Greeks need 2 goals - 77 mins. Still 2-1 to Liege.
  • 80 mins. Greeks pushing forward. Luckily for Liege so far they have not got their shooting boots on. Liege defending stoutly so far but not holding the ball up front. It keeps coming back. Panathinakos need 2 goals in 11 mins due to the away goal rule.
  • How much money do liege get for qualifying into the actual competition?
  • vffvff
    edited August 2014
    Coming up to 90 mins. 3 mins extra time nearly up. Greek fans in good voice despite looking like going into the Uefa cup.

All over Liege have done it. They congratulate eachother.

Not sure if they have to play another game to get into the group stage or not. On balance a Liege victory is good as there will be more money for RD to spend within the network. Well done to Liege in any case. An away victory in Greece is a good result.
  • How much money do liege get for qualifying into the actual competition?

Not sure but the real money is in reaching the group stages as TV coverage kicks in... someone on here suggested that the Liege route to the group stages is incredibly hard.

Whichever competition Liege end up in, their extra workload in terms of two games per week will be between now and Christmas. Perhaps after that Ajdarevic or someone else pops across on loan to the Valley at a time when we need more players and Liege need less?
  • Will now play one of Athletic Bilbao, Arsenal, Bayer Leverkusen, Napoli or Porto in the Play-Off Round. It's then on to the Group Stages. Be fun to go to the Emirates if they draw Arsenal.
  • Will now play one of Athletic Bilbao, Arsenal, Bayer Leverkusen, Napoli or Porto in the Play-Off Round. It's then on to the Group Stages. Be fun to go to the Emirates if they draw Arsenal.

That's a tough next game. A Charlton meet up and support for Liege if they play Arsenal would likely be entertaining.
  • edited August 2014
    vff said:

Will now play one of Athletic Bilbao, Arsenal, Bayer Leverkusen, Napoli or Porto in the Play-Off Round. It's then on to the Group Stages. Be fun to go to the Emirates if they draw Arsenal.

That's a tough next game. A Charlton meet up and support for Liege if they play Arsenal would likely be entertaining.
    I'm up for that.
    in 2010 in SOuth Africa there was a guy who had a shirt which was half Spurs and half England - i tried to find out who did them but came up with nothing - however, i noticed some fans in Brazil with half-and-half shirts - would be fun to have a half Charlton,half Liege shirt for that game.
  • I'm in! As it happens I am due a work trip to Brussels soon so may try to snaffle tickets into the Liege home leg if the dates work.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm up for it depending on dates...
  • If Roland is a business man then surely now is the best time sell up...

Wouldn't give Liege much hope of beating any of that lot. How does the draw work though? Can they not play the likes of Besiktas, Lille or AEL who are still in it and would be much more beatable?

Wouldn't give Liege much hope of beating any of that lot. How does the draw work though? Can they not play the likes of Besiktas, Lille or AEL who are still in it and would be much more beatable?
    Nah UEFA cant allow that cos it means there is a risk of the big teams missing out on the Champions League.. meaning they dont get as much corp money!!
  • If they lose the play off round they go into the Europa League
  • Draw for the play-off round is on Friday.

1. Arsenal FC,
    2. FC Porto,
    3. Bayer 04 Leverkusen,
    4. SSC Napoli,
    5. Athletic Bilbao
    vs.
    6. Standard Liege,
    7. Lille OSC,
    8. AEL Limassol or FC Zenit,
    9. FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk or FC Copenhagen,
    10. Feyenoord or Besiktas JK

• Good win for them. Didn't fancy them at all after the first leg result. But they will do damn well to get past any of the next lot.
  • someone on here suggested that the Liege route to the group stages is incredibly hard.

In the UEFA rankings for 14-15, they are no. 82 in Europe, based partly on results in Europe over the last 5 seasons for all clubs from their country.

To put that in perspective, Birmingham City are still ranked 81 and Fulham 86.

If we had qualified for Europe last season via the FA Cup, we would be ranked 111th; above Feyenoord (129), FC Zurich (134) and Torino (136).
  • Those UEFA Co-fed rules are just crazy... Should be reset every season!!... League winners from EVERY country are to top ranked and so forth (with the smaller countries still playing the Qualifiers based on the National Teams ranking)
  • Those UEFA Co-fed rules are just crazy... Should be reset every season!!... League winners from EVERY country are to top ranked and so forth (with the smaller countries still playing the Qualifiers based on the National Teams ranking)

They dont want to take that risk , they want the bigger boys to be able to bully their way into the money league , year in and year out. Football favours status quo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Drew Zenit St Petersburg in the Play Off draw

That's them out then.

That's them out then.
    Why?

That's them out then.
    Zenit aren't the greatest team in Europe and if I were a SL fan, I'd fancy our chances
  • Beating them on their own pitch with my home team atm, loving it
  • Lost 1-0 today against Gent
  • Standard leige get £4.3m for mangala from Man City.over £21.6m for Roland with all the players leaving SL.
  • the womens team are doing well, just had a look on flash score for the kick off time for derby game tonight and noticed that the Standard Liege women's team are beating Cardiff in a champions League qualifier 8-0
  • Drew 2-2 home to Westerlo

4 Mins 1-0 Westerlo
    16 Mins 1-1 goal from Louis
    34 Mins 2-1 Westerlo
    55 Mins 2-2 goal from De Camargo
    70 Mins Westerlo down to 10 men
    71 Mins Standard miss penalty
    83 Mins Standard Miss Penalty

I also notice Ajdarevic was not on the bench, he has been for the last few games not sure if he is Injured, Dropped or being sold