Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Billy Bonds

Comments

• Options
    I bet he is fitter right now than TWO Tony Watt's.
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:

I have driven past him on the way to work one morning a few months back. He was walking up Elmsted Lane. I had to do a double take. I am assuming it was his wife he was with. Must live in Chislehurst.

He does ... My mates next door neighbour
  • Options
    Meh!
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Perhaps he fancies coming back as manager? ;)

Seen him a couple of times recently in Bromley around the Glades.

Back as manager, could probably still do a job as a player!!!
    Seen him a couple of times in Charlton at The Valley.

But not for 50 years.

• Options
    In the 70's he used to stand on the east terrace with his dad i think watching charlton's midweek games, my mate on a couple of occassions asked him for his autograph, to which he replied not tonight sonny.

Assume he didnt want to sign for him in case he got others requesting one.
  • Options

Meh!

First time reading this thread, what do you have against him out of interest?
  • Options
    Talal said:

Meh!

I despise him. I loved his parents.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

iaitch said:

Perhaps he fancies coming back as manager? ;)

Seen him a couple of times recently in Bromley around the Glades.

Back as manager, could probably still do a job as a player!!!
    Seen him a couple of times in Charlton at The Valley.

But not for 50 years.

He has played charity games at the Valley, I remember one in 1993ish when you'd never have guessed how old he really was
  • Options

Talal said:

Meh!

How very odd Sadie.......never heard a bad word said about him.....quite the opposite in fact.
    Despise is a pretty strong word to use.....you might at least give us a hint of what has prompted you to convey a very "at odds" appraisal of his character?
  • Options

Talal said:

Meh!

Dreadful comment. Lovely bloke who to this day calls my mates widow to see how she is. Absolute gentleman does good for no publicity. What do you base this on?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I see that West Ham are naming with one of their stands after Billy. Great tribute to a totally committed footballer - even if he did leave us.

It follows the naming of stands after two other Hammers' legends - Trevor Brooking and Bobby Moore. And is especially good because of the way he lost his job as Manager. On that subject. anyone reckon that they will name the last one after Harry Redknapp?
  • Options
    Well done to West Ham.

Just a shame we can't do something similar and name a stand after Curbs.
  • Options
    Great player, shame we lost him
  • Options

I see that West Ham are naming with one of their stands after Billy. Great tribute to a totally committed footballer - even if he did leave us.

It follows the naming of stands after two other Hammers' legends - Trevor Brooking and Bobby Moore. And is especially good because of the way he lost his job as Manager. On that subject. anyone reckon that they will name the last one after Harry Redknapp?

Nice to see two of their stands named after Charlton supporters. Well done West Ham.
  • Options
    when Bonds left for WHU we unearthed Bob Curtis who was IMHO just as good as Billy.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

when Bonds left for WHU we unearthed Bob Curtis who was IMHO just as good as Billy.

Bob was a more than an able replacement but Billy was the real deal for me, all about opinions :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Both were very versatile - RB, CB or midfield - but I would say that Billy was known for his all action style, especially when played in the middle of the park and whilst Bob was similar in style, I will always remember him for his cultured right foot and ability in dead ball situations especially from the penalty spot.
  • Options
    Not surprising Billy one of my hero’s.
    Cannot remember the opposition but Bob scored a freak goal from about half way inside his own half ( a free kick). Scored into the “covered end”
  • Options
    RIP Simon
  • Options
    Nice one.
  • Options
    I remember when we played WH in the FA Cup at their place in ‘88. He was over 40 but bossed the game, along with Liam Brady (who scored a cracker).
  • Options
    Billy went to Eltham Green Comprehensive School with my cousin.
  • Options
    used to see him in the Charcoal Burner, Sidcup, back in the day - he never recognised me ...
  • Options
    I see Billy in Bromley quite often. He walks in from the Chislehurst /Bickey direction.
  • Options
    the nearest we have had to Bonzo since he left was John Humphrey - an almost identical style of FB and probably the best FB we have ever had. We could have a separate thread on full backs alone but if we were talking about the most cultured FB then that would have to be Mark Reid and to a lesser extent Scotty Minto. Funny though when Scotty was playing for our youth team I though the FB on the other side was the one who would make the grade but he disappeared without trace - his name Paul Bacon.