Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alnwick to Leyton Orient (ed. SOLD)

Comments

• cs1986 said:

We will not have any perm Charlton players at this rate.. I want a team that look like they care not a bunch of mercenaries.

What happens if this guy up's and leaves..

All these guys will pull on the Red shirt and be glad to do so. They will all want to progress their careers and the best way is by doing well. I hate this shit that loans are lacking effort or motivation. They are all young footballers trying to get the best careers they can.

Do we suggest that our youngsters out on loan don't give a shit. Pigott ? Lennon, Fox ? No we don't.

As for RD upping and going. Then somebody else buys us and we move on. The last owners took us to the edge of oblivion and some of our sales now are directly down to their failure to secure contracts.

I refuse to slate RD yet because I see a man doing something positive. I have no idea if it will work out but it just might.

I am not saying loans lack effort/motivation I just want a team of actual Charlton players. That's whats good about Charlton a bond with players even though they are not the best.

We should be a bigger club than to be blooding a full team of youngsters surely.

I disagree, RD has had time to offer contracts but has not done so or has not offered correct value, his choice.
  • I suppose there is always the chance that CP has bought into this. He could be at desperation point with the current squad and be going along with RD's clearout. Keep himself at the club he loves and see how RD's project goes. Alternatively he could be sat at Sparrows lane with his head up his arse thinking strange thoughts like the rest of us.

I'd love some of what you're smoking mate. He was at desperation point with the current squad so instructed RD to see if he could get rid of Yann and Dale before the end of the transfer window and replace them with youngsters that he's never even heard of. Unlikely I think.
  • In my opinion, there's not much to choose between Hamer and Alnwick. Both have strengths and weaknessess. I have a feeling that Alwick was told he'd be second or third choice once Hamer was fit and his agent may have manufactured the move. Just a thought...

There is only one guy who is going to be number one and its the guy that cost us points at Middlesborough,
    harsh. As I doubt you were there AFKA, with all due respect, how can you comment on his performance?

Harsh maybe, but the reality is Alnwick is CURRENTLY our number one keeper, and has been over the last month. Our manager has had a new keeper sent to him that he did not want, and i believe, been told to play him. He did so at Boro, and regardless of whether he pulled off some good saves, made a howler that determined the result.

Alnwick come back into the side, performed very well. At Doncaster i have heard it suggested (entirely up to you whether you believe me or not) Powell was told to play Thuram by RD / RD's people, Powell went against it and played the player he wanted to play, Alnwick.

Three days later Alnwick is sold, and rumours circ that Powell was close to being sacked.

Thuram may well turn out to be a much better keeper than any we currently have, but that is irrelevent. He was not the choice of those whose decisions it should be who play and who don't.

Should Powell walk ?? Of course he should. His position has been completely undermined and is currently untenable.

However, you saw how the ridiculous similar farce at Cardiff turned out and Malky McKay refusing to hand in his notice in a similar situation. I wonder if Powell is mates with Malky by any chance...

Good friends by all accounts. Played together at West Ham and Watford and did their coaching badges together.
  • so now we're stuck with Thuram and/or Hamer .. Alnwick has been our most consistent player over the past month. The decision to out him is ridiculous. However, it might work out OK for Ben Alnwick, Orient could well take our place next season
  • stonemuse said:

In my opinion, there's not much to choose between Hamer and Alnwick. Both have strengths and weaknessess. I have a feeling that Alwick was told he'd be second or third choice once Hamer was fit and his agent may have manufactured the move. Just a thought...

There is only one guy who is going to be number one and its the guy that cost us points at Middlesborough,
    harsh. As I doubt you were there AFKA, with all due respect, how can you comment on his performance?

Harsh maybe, but the reality is Alnwick is CURRENTLY our number one keeper, and has been over the last month. Our manager has had a new keeper sent to him that he did not want, and i believe, been told to play him. He did so at Boro, and regardless of whether he pulled off some good saves, made a howler that determined the result.

Alnwick come back into the side, performed very well. At Doncaster i have heard it suggested (entirely up to you whether you believe me or not) Powell was told to play Thuram by RD / RD's people, Powell went against it and played the player he wanted to play, Alnwick.

Three days later Alnwick is sold, and rumours circ that Powell was close to being sacked.

Thuram may well turn out to be a much better keeper than any we currently have, but that is irrelevent. He was not the choice of those whose decisions it should be who play and who don't.

Should Powell walk ?? Of course he should. His position has been completely undermined and is currently untenable.

However, you saw how the ridiculous similar farce at Cardiff turned out and Malky McKay refusing to hand in his notice in a similar situation. I wonder if Powell is mates with Malky by any chance...

Why have you not talked about church's two howlers that he fucked up and did not score which determined the result?

because it is completely irrespective to my point. My point is the manager is being told what goalkeeper to play.
    but you don't know that AFKA ... it's just guesswork and supposition. If you are right, I agree ... but I'm not convinced yet. Let's see where we are at 11 pm.
    As said, just my view based on what i've been told. Everyone is entitled to their own view.

And as much as i like Powell, i would not believe a single word he says in the press or in public.

With the greatest respect AFKA your argument can't lose can it ? Selective choice of what you believe.

I suppose we're all guilty of that.

Can't lose? I'm not trying to 'win' anything. i'm just stating my point.

I think our club is currently a farce. We are attempting what appears to be a whole summer transition within the space of three days.

- Our manager (from what i've been told) is having little or no so in what is coming in or going out

- It now appears a strong possibility he is being leaned on on who to play. Certainly the case with the keep at Donny

- Our Chairman appears to have no idea who it is who is deciding who comes and goes

- Squad morale is said to be shot to pieces

- Regardless of what may come in today, We have offloaded a fair spine of the team with our currently best performing keeping, currently best performing midfielder, and at some point today our best performing striker and fans favourite.

There is no attempt to be selective, those are the stand out points to me.

Exactly this
  • The only player to come away from Doncester with any credit.

His distribution at Doncaster was at times poor. At one point we had been defending our goal, the entire Charlton team was in our half, and he elected to kick the ball as far as possible, the ball made the opposition penalty area and our nearest player was around the centre circle. This handed possession to Doncaster, who set up their next attack and kept the pressure on us.
  • Was there any news from the Richard Murray meeting?
  • I am a powell man through and through and I don't doubt he is having pressure put on to play thurum but if RD didn't come in how long until we lost all the players stated and ten points

I agree with this. The reality is with the squad pre-January, we were going down. So if we go down with the "new" squad, then there's no difference in outcome. At least this approach may give us a chance. Lets wait and see.
  • I trust Chrissy to do the honourable thing. Of course he has to lie and put up the PR front, surely we all understand that? I just hope that Chrissy will also do what's best for him, he really has taken way more shit than he has deserved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't sound very promising AFKA and if true really confirms my original comment when RD took over which was "Out of the frying pan into the fire" I was puzzled by the selling of Alnwick for me he is a better keeper than Hamer so he should have gone if we are top heavy in that department but your explaination makes some sense. This is begining to feel like a nightmare come true.
  • Maybe RD is a Palace/Millwall fan..
  • edited January 2014

The only player to come away from Doncester with any credit.

His distribution at Doncaster was at times poor. At one point we had been defending our goal, the entire Charlton team was in our half, and he elected to kick the ball as far as possible, the ball made the opposition penalty area and our nearest player was around the centre circle. This handed possession to Doncaster, who set up their next attack and kept the pressure on us.
    you're picking on ONE mistake as a justification for transferring him !!?? .. by that token all 15 should be sent down the road
  • Don't sound very promising AFKA and if true really confirms my original comment when RD took over which was "Out of the frying pan into the fire" I was puzzled by the selling of Alnwick for me he is a better keeper than Hamer so he should have gone if we are top heavy in that department but your explaination makes some sense. This is begining to feel like a nightmare come true.

we were heading for administration so whatever happens now is better than what would have happened so just chill out
  • edited January 2014

Don't sound very promising AFKA and if true really confirms my original comment when RD took over which was "Out of the frying pan into the fire" I was puzzled by the selling of Alnwick for me he is a better keeper than Hamer so he should have gone if we are top heavy in that department but your explaination makes some sense. This is begining to feel like a nightmare come true.

we were heading for administration so whatever happens now is better than what would have happened so just chill out
    yup
  • Why do we have the words 'absolute farce' in the thread title when that is not the view of all the fans?

Total over reaction. We have 3 decent keepers for this level of football, we've got rid of one for a transfer fee. He hasn't gone to Bayern munich or a premier league side, he's gone to Leyton f*cking Orient and has previously been let go by Barnsley. He is not the next Buffon or Casillas.

We've sold a player who is very easily replaceable, some people need to calm down.
  • stonemuse said:

In my opinion, there's not much to choose between Hamer and Alnwick. Both have strengths and weaknessess. I have a feeling that Alwick was told he'd be second or third choice once Hamer was fit and his agent may have manufactured the move. Just a thought...

Why have you not talked about church's two howlers that he fucked up and did not score which determined the result?

because it is completely irrespective to my point. My point is the manager is being told what goalkeeper to play.
    but you don't know that AFKA ... it's just guesswork and supposition. If you are right, I agree ... but I'm not convinced yet. Let's see where we are at 11 pm.
    As said, just my view based on what i've been told. Everyone is entitled to their own view.

And as much as i like Powell, i would not believe a single word he says in the press or in public.

With the greatest respect AFKA your argument can't lose can it ? Selective choice of what you believe.

I think our club is currently a farce. We are attempting what appears to be a whole summer transition within the space of three days.

- Our manager (from what i've been told) is having little or no so in what is coming in or going out

- It now appears a strong possibility he is being leaned on on who to play. Certainly the case with the keep at Donny

- Our Chairman appears to have no idea who it is who is deciding who comes and goes

- Regardless of what may come in today, We have offloaded a fair spine of the team with our currently best performing keeping, currently best performing midfielder, and at some point today our best performing striker and fans favourite.

That's all fair enough AFKA but let's be clear here - if RD had not come in then Stephens, Kermorgant and almost certainly Wiggins would have left anyway (plus maybe others too) and we would have been struggling to bring in ANY replacements.

TJ and MS created this mess and RD is having to deal with the consequences of their inaction over the last 18 months.

We should at least give RD a chance before painting him as a Vincent Tan - a comparison which is pretty unfair as RD has not said a word against Powell so far.
  • No, we've sold a player who has been performing well and who is currently first choice on merit. I'm in the "Farce" camp on this.
  • The only player to come away from Doncester with any credit.

you're picking on ONE mistake as a justification for transferring him !!?? .. by that token all 15 should be sent down the road

No you are choosing to misread my post. My post makes no comment on the transfer favourable or otherwise.

My post was in response to a post about his performance at Doncaster. I criticised one aspect of his play. I gave one example of this aspect. There were more examples available.

• Sponsored links:

• stonemuse said:

That's all fair enough AFKA but let's be clear here - if RD had not come in then Stephens, Kermorgant and almost certainly Wiggins would have left anyway (plus maybe others too) and we would have been struggling to bring in ANY replacements.

TJ and MS created this mess and RD is having to deal with the consequences of their inaction over the last 18 months.

We should at least give RD a chance before painting him as a Vincent Tan - a comparison which is pretty unfair as RD has not said a word against Powell so far.
    you're missing the main point here .. the players being brought in are essentially trialists from Europe .. those going going gone are experienced English pros who have done reasonably well this season ... why bring in Thuram when Alnwick has been in good form for the past few games (I don't know how many games you've been to lately.. are you over in Australia ?) .. RD has ulterior motives here, of this I am becoming increasingly more certain.
  • One thing we all agree on is that this squad needs refreshing. They did an outstanding job last year but the lack of investment and new players has caused them to stagnate. If we sell a keeper and still have two good ones at the club then we can invest in the positions we need to fill - selling Stephens and topping up his fee with the sale of Alnwick could get us a superior replacement for Dale with little depleting effect on our squad. Surely that's a good thing?
  • And what if it pays off and we stay up then what

We are in the bottom 3 we have loads of rumours doing the rds

So powell is being given players by someone else and being told u r the mgr and head coach do what your paid for

Ideal in english football (no prob not) but something had to change

Let's be honest though there's rumours players haven't covered them selves in glory with some of this

For the whole season I have heard and read the term dead wood well now we are losing both good players and dead wood

But you need to be willing to have some hope that powell is the man I think he is the mgr and coach I hope he is because if anyone can make these players better than how they arrived and they could be already better than those going

Its chris powell
  • We have barely seen Alnwick play so i'm not particularly bothered that we have sold him but one thing seems obvious now is that our new chairman is doing exactly what he did at Liege when he bought them , he's cashing in on the squad regardless of what the manager thinks.
    I don't like it one bit but if the ultimate outcome is what has happened in Belgium then we will soon forget the current fire sale. The problem is we are in very real danger of dropping into the third tier again.

That the chancer and the beard were bad for us and that we should be glad to see the back of them does not mean we have to accept anything that the new boss does uncritically or without any comment.

I'm going to wait and see how today pans out and then consider whether the bread has fallen butter side up or butter side down.

• One thing we all agree on is that this squad needs refreshing. They did an outstanding job last year but the lack of investment and new players has caused them to stagnate. If we sell a keeper and still have two good ones at the club then we can invest in the positions we need to fill - selling Stephens and topping up his fee with the sale of Alnwick could get us a superior replacement for Dale with little depleting effect on our squad. Surely that's a good thing?

sell the family silver to bring in some ASDA crockery ? .. I exaggerate .. but you get my drift
  • Why do we have the words 'absolute farce' in the thread title when that is not the view of all the fans?

Fair point. It is purely my own view and i should not allow that to impact on a thread i did not start.

Have removed it.

• For the whole season I have heard and read the term dead wood well now we are losing both good players and dead wood

Which of Kermogant, Stephens and Alnwick is dead wood?
  • Dale stephens 84 games 10 goals in the league

Yann kerm 89 games 29 goals in the league

although kerms record is alright a third of these games were in league 1, so hardly jaw dropping statistics
  • Thread titles being edited after 7 pages..........absolute farce.