Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++The Manager and the Rest of the Season - YOU DECIDE+++ (Results on Page 6)

edited January 2014 in General Charlton
Lets take a step back from all the getting dredged down into an opposing debate.

Lets have one thread that does not quote, or reply to a previous view. Lets just simply have your view, and your view alone for everyone to consider.

If we are not already beyond it, we are at the most crucial of times that is likely to determine the rest of the season.

Select which one below most clearly represents where you are at this point in time, AND GIVE YOUR REASONS WHY. If you have to respond to someone's point of view, do so in one of the other existing threads.

A. We pay off Powell and the coaching team before the end of the window,
B. We award Powell a new contract before the end of the window
C. We continue the current unsettled status quo
D. You genuinely don't know what to do for the best
E. Something else

Look forward to reading everyone's thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    B). Along with new contracts to the players He would like to keep.
  • Options
    B but only if he is backed fully and this is because he has proven beyond any doubt when given funds to purchase his players he can do great things
  • Options
    B. He's not perfect and he makes mistakes - like every other football manager in the world. I think I'm right in saying that data shows that it's a myth that new managers make a big difference, unless there is accompanying major change within the club, which there probably won't be.
  • Options
    D)
    Think we need to keep him while we sort out a few contracts and signings but if we don't start getting a few wins then he's got to go, because I'm getting worried about he's tactics and playing people out of position.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    D. I want it to work with Powell, but an losing faith with him rapidly.
  • Options
    B and with full backing from the owners! New contact shoes their commitment to him. Give him a budget whether it's for loans or purchases and let him get on with it.
  • Options
    B.
  • Options
    D) don't know what to think anymore! All I know is that things need to change somewhere or we are down. Where that is I can't say.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    B) The players, squad, future signings and backroom staff need stability.
    Besides which, he's a bloody nice bloke ;)
  • Options
    B) For me the main (note - not only) reason for our current poor league form is the uncertainty that hangs over pretty much every single person at our club. I think the ship is unsteady, rather than sinking and a new deal for Powell and some of the players, even for 18 months, would go some way to steadying that ship.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    E - we don't allow CP a new contract but we let him improve the squad and try to keep us in this division. Then at the end of the season his contract position can be properly reviewed. I can't see how or why we should expect RD to reward him with a new contract now as he hardly knows the guy. The team needs investment and now. If CP is allowed to bring in a few new faces and we get relegated he can hardly complain if he is sacked. If we stay up with much improved results AND performances then he can quite rightly expect a new deal and further resources for strengthening. Any players wanting new contracts should damned well start earning one - it's not a right, you have to perform to get one. Some are not doing that imo. CP needs to take a long hard look at himself too and stick to what he know best. Too much tinkering, too many baffling selections, bizarre formations. Square pegs in square holes and stick to one system. Over to you CP.
  • Options

Back the manager with MONEY (remember money?), not carlos kick a ball's midway through the season. That is a joke policy in my book.

You'd have thought Richard Murray knew this by now.....
  • Options
    B
  • Options
    B

I think our best chance of safety this year is by adding a few quality players and some stability to the squad we already have. The best way to do this is to give Powell a contract and let him sign up the players he wants to keep (Yann, Wiggins) while backing him in the window.

The players we have will not play any better or give any more for the cause under any other manager than they will for Powell. He brought these players to the club and has already earned their respect. In many cases he resurrected their career (Yann, Morrison).

Another manager will not get any more out of these players than Powell will if their contract status stays the same. If complete overhaul is needed then the summer would be the best time to do it, not when we’re already facing a battle to survive. I don’t think bringing in a whole new squad with a new manager will give us any better chance of safety.
  • Options
    B. Although CP has dissapoonted me with some decisions this season. Frustrating thing for me is he always seems to set the side up to nullify the oppo. I want us to have our own style of play and impose it on the oppo, put them on the back foot. The few times we have done that we look a decent side. Having said that, he might want to but doesn't believe he has the players at his disposal, that's why he deserves a chance with a better squad. After all we have been through in past few years we need stability and CP does give us that !
  • Options
    D

• Options
    edited January 2014
    D

I would love it to be B, but do not believe it would really solve our problems.

I support Powell but think he may be on borrowed time with RD and even with a new deal, a bad start to next season (whatever league we are in) will result in the same discussions. He has been undermined by RD imo with the Liege cast-offs and the lack of real investment and new contracts means we are only going one way.
  • Options
    B - It would give the team, manager and fans a new injection of enthusiasm once it is sorted. We need it now more than ever.
  • Options
    B) with the backing of some quality signings.

The way I see it - we are still only 1 or 2 points off the teams above us with a game in hand. This is a long journey on a Tuesday night for a relatively poor Barnsley side. We also have a decent goal difference against the teams around us.

Powell has as much chance of keeping us up as a new manager who may take time to settle in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    B how hard will it be to see SCP doing well at another club after being able to buy some players. He is the man for us Charlton through and through and has my support 100%
  • Options
    B for me too because he proved more than up to the job when tasked with putting a squad together to get us out of Div 1 and being competitive in the Championship. He makes mistakes but essentially it is not his fault that he is now expected to maintain our status with that same squad which is both two years older and weaker in its depth.
  • Options
    E). I don't think it matters where I am. It all depends on where Roland is and where CP is. If they are already at loggerheads, it regretfully might be better to get on with option A) and hope a new regime can get us out of trouble with its own ideas/players etc. If Roland is going to stick by CP whether we survive or not with a view to get things on track next season, I would suggest B).

Things move fast in football - a week in football can be more like a year in any other business. I think we are all frustrated at not knowing where things are going. 11pm on Friday night may give us some clues, but I suspect this will all unfold slowly.
  • Options
    B, but the league we're playing in next year will depend on the money he's allowed to spend now. The uncertainty over Powell is disrupting the team. I think A would be catastrophic personally, but probably better than C.
  • Options

Chris Powell is a good manager. He is a good coach. His problem is that he was let down by the previously regime. The lack of investment in the team and the Valley pitch over the last two seasons has been nothing less than scandalous. He did brilliantly to finish in mix for the play-offs last season. A couple of half decent recruits would have made all of the difference. He still has the ability to take us forward but Roland needs to put his hand in his pocket and not shuffle his pack of cards and give us players who make up the numbers at his other clubs.
  • Options
    B. I don't see that we really have any other option. It's either award Powell and his staff with new contracts which would hopefully follow by Kermorgant, Wiggins, Stephens and Morro doing the same, then bringing in some fresh faces over the next few days. Or Powell goes resulting in other players refusing to sign new deals, no new players willing to sign for us not knowing who the new manager will be and getting relegated.
  • Options
    B. Because if he goes, by the time Roland has "his" man in place, it will be too late - we'll be bottom of the table and have no hope of avoiding relegation.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    C/E, with a review of the matter at the end of the season. The owner should give CP a clear idea of how things stand going forward, they should then (at the end of the season) discuss how to progress the matter. In the interim CP should be allowed to do the job and receive support.

• Options
    D

My main concern is that whilst he is a great man and a Charlton legend CP could well be a league One manager at best who will always struggle higher up the ladder.

It was often mentioned on this site when we ran away with League 1 that it was a "Pub League" so for that reason my eyes are not blinkered when I look at CP's success that season.

It is also often mentioned on this site (today in fact) that "This player is League 1 standard" and "He might be doing it in League 1 but he wont be able to step up" all of which leads me to believe the same can be applied to managers as well.

Until he is given the funds to strengthen the team to a half decent Championship squad we will never know however I feel that time is running out simply because RD does not appear to want to spend.

• Options
    B. I see that last night was just the crystallisation of the problems that have been there for months, most are not of Powell's making. RD needs to make a clear statement (in offering an 18 month contract) that CP is his man. He can get on with the job of quickly integrating new players with confidence (there surely will be new players?!).

If RD feels that CP is not his man then, whilst I disagree with that viewpoint, he must go today.

In short, any uncertainty over CP's position is another complication that isn't helping.