Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benefits Street

Has anyone else been watching this and what do you think?

I have no problem with people being on benefits that's not what gets me mad at this programme, it's how they are as parents, they are terrible! For example in tonight's episode what excuse did white dee have for not being one of the parents cheering on her daughter why she raced? Also, why don't any of them seem to clean their houses? It's not like they haven't got the time. I find it sickening, those poor kids don't stand a chance.

Comments

• Options
    Its compelling viewing but that dee is just a lazy gob shite

Its the smoking and drinking around them

Her 5 year old knew what a spliff was and she let's a crack head methodone addict into their lives

The houses are a shit hole and their kids are out of control

• Options

Her 5 year old knew what a spliff was and she let's a crack head methodone addict into their lives

Yep and the drugs, and the fact that 3 year olds are playing in the street. But that's ok apparently because it's a safe street because they all know each other and all the druggies and alcoholics watch out for each other! Times are hard too we have to feel sorry for them because after they've bought their fags (at least) there isn't any money left for food!
  • Options

Yep and the drugs, and the fact that 3 year olds are playing in the street. But that's ok apparently because it's a safe street because they all know each other and all the druggies and alcoholics watch out for each other! Times are hard too we have to feel sorry for them because after they've bought their fags (at least) there isn't any money left for food!
    White Dee seems to be able to feed herself ok.
  • Options
    Very sad progam with very sad lifes.
    I've watch the whole series, last nights I thought the most depressing.
    Its the children I feel soory for, their lives are broken before they've started.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    This is what Gravesham Borough Council turned my street into approx 2 years after I bought my property there, meaning my place is now worth around 25-30% less than what I paid for it 10 years ago, when other gaffs in the same bracket 2 mile away have gone up around 10-15%.
  • Options
    Can't take it seriously when the cameras are there. Blatantly acting up for the cameras imo.
  • Options

Can't take it seriously when the cameras are there. Blatantly acting up for the cameras imo.

Totally agree, but the place is still been made into a complete shit hole over the years and I'm not sure that's just for the camaras
  • Options

You'd think though if the house is going to be on tv you'd at least attempt to clean it, or at least clean the kids. The only one last night I felt remotely sorry for was the black woman who wanted to be a model. She seems a good mum and the only one in 3 weeks who seems to do any cleaning and the only one doing anything positive for her kids (she was reading with and teaching her son).
  • Options
    Think it showed that they're not all shite bags last night though! The girl (SB?) who having not got a job modelling, went to work in a takeaway. At least some of them have some gumption.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    White Dee's back must be in agony
  • Options

You'd think though if the house is going to be on tv you'd at least attempt to clean it, or at least clean the kids. The only one last night I felt remotely sorry for was the black woman who wanted to be a model. She seems a good mum and the only one in 3 weeks who seems to do any cleaning and the only one doing anything positive for her kids (she was reading with and teaching her son).
    this - the rest of them just make you want to put your foot through the TV
  • Options
    'sickening' 'lazy gob-shite' 'shit-hole' 'druggies' 'alcoholics' 'foot through the tv'

Mission accomplished.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

'sickening' 'lazy gob-shite' 'shit-hole' 'druggies' 'alcoholics' 'foot through the tv'

Mission accomplished.

Go and invest 90k in an area and take a knock of around 20-30k, because the street has been made into a shit hole.
  • Options
    'White Dee'??????
  • Options

'White Dee'??????

Yes mate, she is whiter than 'black Dee' hence the name
  • Options
    White Dee likes the Black Dee
  • Options
    White Dee also has MASSIVE chebs
  • Options
    Good post Sadie. It just confirms people's prejudices. The vast majority on benefits have previosuly worked, will work again in the future, or do work and can't make ends meet. Yes there are those that have never worked and have no intention of working, but they are the minority, yet everyone on benefits are demonised. I won't go into the reasons why...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    White dee looks like she would eat black dee
  • Options

The worse thing about the programme is that it paints people that are on benefits in a bad light. The vast majority of people that claim benefits do it because they need to as they have no choice. I claim I'm not proud of it but I'm not ashamed, I have 4 children, 2 of which have special needs and 1 severe who needs round the clock care. My husband has been out of work for a year and wants to work, despite having serious health issues that make getting a job difficult (employers don't admit it but health obviously plays a factor in who they employ) he still is trying. I am educated to degree level and had no intention of being on benefits. However, we don't smoke, we rarely have a drink, we never go out without the kids. We take them on regular outings, try to ensure they have at least a short break away every year, they are read with daily they are bathed daily, we never miss a production, a sports day, a parents evening, a dance show , a football match or anything that they want to show us. Whilst the kids are at school I clean the house, do the shopping, washing and anything else that I need to do. When the children are home it is 100% their time until they go to bed. This is being a parent, all this done on no sleep too.

Why does a programme documenting people on benefits have to focus on such vile people when they could/should show the big picture?

Because it would be boring Sadie. These programmes are just entertainment.
  • Options
    I feel sorry for the kids coming out of school with no hope of a job

Hundreds of thousands more in work but the jobless falling a fraction----more in work than ever before but still nearly 3 million on the dole-----------------work it out !! Dear Mr Brown said "2.5 million jobs British jobs for British workers (not Enoch Powell note) but over 70% went to NONE British workers.

Seen this week in a BrookStreet Employment exchange in Sutton "Immediate start electricians on building site must speak Polish"

Kids today have to compete with the whole work force of the EU and be prepared to take shit wages.

Labour have smashed the wage scale---but not going upwards going downwards with their deliberate mass immigration policy---Labour for the working classes LAUGHABLE.

Torys hate immigration---please do F__K Off its cheap Labour + bigger profit margins and one of the biggest lies spun ever . Tories LOVE immigration--they dont have to pay decent wages.

As for Benefit Street is tabloid TV but lets not say there arnt many streets like it out there.
  • Options

White dee looks like she would eat black dee

White Dee looks like she HAS eaten black Dee, with a side order of large fries.
  • Options

Nice to see the usual suspects passing scorn from their ivory towers on those less fortunate in society.
    Society should be ashamed that it allows such a disaster to occur. But it's the cheap option.

My niece would fit nicely into the street. Parents both teachers, she lost the plot while at school. Had mental health issues and was kicked out of school. Got pregnant with a decent but dumb kid. Moved on to a clever super nice heroin addict, with 2 more kids arriving. Like most in her circle drink and drugs got the better of her. She's been in court loads, mainly for shop lifting.
    The heroin addict is dead. My sister fought social services and fortunately has ended up as the legal guardian of the kids.
    My niece struggles along. She never got the support she needed then or now. She is bi-polar. She is still in the community because it's the cheap option. She should be in a mental hospital but it costs way to much.

I haven't watched the show but I'm sure mental issues, abuse, coming from similar backgrounds and a lack of opportunities has caused most of the residents to end up there. The spiral continues.

NB Not cleaning points to depression.

It is this sort of thing that I find makes the programme more than anything, sad. there are people there who are struggling, trying to make something of their lives (as seen by the lady working in the takeaway shop) and look after those around her. But then at the same time has hopes and aspirations to be a model. Whilst there is nothing wrong in having hopes and dreams, in certain situations it is important not to spend £20 of the £40 you have to live on, in entering a modelling competition. Someone has at some point told the lady that she could be a model, and has now made her think of nothing else.

There are other elements of the show which wind me up, and I find wrong with society, and people are right, it isn't a true reflection on what society is like, nor even like on James Turner street, but there are the chances to see that there is an element of community spirit within the neighbourhood (however bad it may be for people) better than there is around where I live.

Giving some of the people benefits that are shown on the show however isn't going to help them on its own. they need people, not care workers or social services, but people who are willing to help them and support them, in helping them with addiction, money related issues, and giving general support.