Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doncaster Rovers V Charlton Ath | Championship | 28 Jan 2014 | Preview, Views, News & Line Ups

edited January 2014 in General Charlton
The Introduction

After the glory of a cup run rarely equalled in the Club's long history thoughts turn to a "crunch" league game. It is too early to say this is a "must-win" when we are still in January but having slipped into the bottom three while otherwise engaged at Huddersfield there is no doubt that this is a "relegation six-pointer" (this weeks preview is sponsored by the excellent http://footballcliches.spreadshirt.co.uk/ @FootballCliches)

Coming away from the Keepmoat with at least a point will be a huge boast given that we'll still have two games in hand over the Vikings.

Staying up in the wilds of Yorkshire since Saturday rather than enduring long trip home and then back, the players should be well rested and Powell will have the opportunity to integrate the new squad players including those academy players, such as Lennon and Poyet, pushing for a start. It is also perhaps a sign that the penny pinching days are over.

The Opposition

Having rescued a point v Blackpool, Rovers have taken four points from their last two having previously only won once since losing two - zero at the Valley at the tail end of November.

Billy Sharp, who seems to have a revolving door transfer arrangement with Donny, scored a late equaliser on Saturday but Macheda and Robinson, their usual goal threats, were missing.

Player to Watch

Veteran Richie Wellens keeps Rovers ticking over but he was effectively snuffed out during the Valley win. Whoever plays in midfield will have to do a destroyer job first before allowing us to play.

The Line Up

Decisions, Decisions.

Having "rested" Yann and with Sordell failing to spark it seems inevitable that, if fit, the big Breton will be leading the line alongside goal machine Simon Church.

In the midfield Cousins is likely to start alongside Stephens but Astrit Ajdarević staked a strong claim to also start. Solly's continued absence means the the strongest wide right player we have is forced to drop back. Wilson's assist for Church shows the attacking option we lose playing him at RB. Unless the pocket rocket returns that right side midfield slot is still a problem.

At the back Wiggins will be sitting out the last game of his ban so the choice is an injured and ineffective Evina (how much the two are linked is disputed) or Harry Lennon. The new boy is left footed for sure but really a centre half. Dervite could also move over to full back allowing Wood to come back into the middle but this is not an option that CP has taken in recent times.

In goal man of the match Alnwick would seem a shoe-in if it were not for "rumours" that Thuram has to start. That wasn't the case v Hudds but that was a cup game. We should know how much truth that theory holds at about 7.00 pm on Tuesday night.

Alnwick

Wilson Morrison Wood Dervite

Harriot Cousins Stephens Ajdarevic

Kemorgant Church

The Prediction

Having played them off the park at the Valley we shall see our first double of the season

1 - 0 to the Addicks (Church 61)

Comments

• Options
    Take a point
    Can't see it tho and can't see us scoring
    Payback for Donny
    We lose 2-0
    And all the fucktards who've not said a word since we beat Hudders will be slagging SCP off again zzzzzzz
  • Options
    Need a result - Donny will be really up for this.
  • Options
    Whoever Powell picks to play out wide it'll be seen as an obviously wrong decision unless we win.

Unlike Dervite, Wood is left footed and has played some games as a left back. Fox is a natural left back and had a run of games in League One, while it sounds like Lennon did well there yesterday.

It's the choice between an experienced but slower CB out of position, a young centre back that did a job for an hour in a cup game, or a young left back that didn't even make the squad yesterday but is slightly older and more experienced. Not sure what I'd go with.

In midfield I'm not sure Harriott or Green deserve a start, but we have little choice. Jackson shouldn't really be playing out wide and Ajdarevic sounds just as slow.

Up front good to have Sordell back as an option but following his goal has surely got to be Church alongside Yann in a 4-4-2.
  • Options
    Whoever Powell picks to play out wide it'll be seen as an obviously wrong decision unless we win.

Unlike Dervite, Wood is left footed and has played some games as a left back. Fox is a natural left back and had a run of games in League One, while it sounds like Lennon did well there yesterday.

It's the choice between an experienced but slower CB out of position, a young centre back that did a job for an hour in a cup game, or a young left back that didn't even make the squad yesterday but is slightly older and more experienced. Not sure what I'd go with.

In midfield I'm not sure Harriott or Green deserve a start, but we have little choice. Jackson shouldn't really be playing out wide and Ajdarevic sounds just as slow.

Up front good to have Sordell back as an option but following his goal has surely got to be Church alongside Yann in a 4-4-2.
  • Options
    You've done this preview well in advance. :-)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    When Evina went off injured, Powell had the option of bringing on Wood and moving Dervite to left back. He chose to bring on Lennon and his choice was fully justified. Lennon should play at left back with Dervite and Morrison in the centre.
    The right back and right midfield position depends on Solly's fitness. I think that he will be fit and that Wilson will play right midfield.
    Adjarevic has no way done enough to justify selection in front of Jackson (though he does show signs of promise and will hopefully come good) and if Thuram is preferred in goal to Alnwick then the new owner is picking the team and we all might as well start collecting for Chris Powell's leaving present.

Doncaster has a good variety of strikers and the team is both dangerous and coming into form. The defence is vulnerable though, and the midfield is merely serviceable.
    A VERY hard one to call. Given the win on Saturday and the great spirit that the team seems to be in right now, I am going for a narrow win, but would be happy(ish) with a point

Doncaster Rovers 0 v CAFC 1

Alnwick .. Solly, Morrison, Dervite, Lennon ...... Wilson, Cousins, Stephens, Jackson .... Kermorgant, Church
  • Options
    We win 0-1. Terrible game.
  • Options
    Son of Curbs.

Wood comes in at CB, Dervite moves to left back.

I wonder if Fox is coming up on the train?
    We need a proper LB, at the very least on the bench.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Two days?

When was the last time you did a preview anyway?

Could be worse, you could be AFKA who just farms his out to celebs

: - )
  • Options
    we shud win but i imagine this game will be crap
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably a 1-1 draw but have a sneaking feeling we may win 2-1
  • Options
    Just pray to god this game lasts the full 90 minutes and is not called off in the mean time,otherwise i would have driven for 9 hours for nothing.Having said that this game is A 6 POINTER make no mistake about it,while we try to gain at least a point Millwall and Sheff Wed play at The New Den .This half of the season is going to be an interesting one and the next 6 matches in this division will decide in which league we will be playing in next season.
    Coming up over the next month Charlton v Birmingham,Charlton v Barnsley.Sheff Wed vBarnsley,Yeovil v Millwall.Doncaster v Barnsley,Millwall v Bolton,Barnsley v Millwall and Yeovil v Doncaster all before we play Barnsley at home.
    Something has too give,look forward to the ride and trust Charlton can come out on top of this little lot of teams.
  • Options
    We will
  • Options

WSS said:

Two days?

Look at the date you've put...

• Options
    WSS said:

WSS said:

Two days?

Look at the date you've put...

you could have just edited it! : - )
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Just pray to god this game lasts the full 90 minutes and is not called off in the mean time,otherwise i would have driven for 9 hours for nothing.Having said that this game is A 6 POINTER make no mistake about it,while we try to gain at least a point Millwall and Sheff Wed play at The New Den .This half of the season is going to be an interesting one and the next 6 matches in this division will decide in which league we will be playing in next season.
    Coming up over the next month Charlton v Birmingham,Charlton v Barnsley.Sheff Wed vBarnsley,Yeovil v Millwall.Doncaster v Barnsley,Millwall v Bolton,Barnsley v Millwall and Yeovil v Doncaster all before we play Barnsley at home.
    Something has too give,look forward to the ride and trust Charlton can come out on top of this little lot of teams.

If Charlton can take care of their own results then that puts points on the board, regardless of how the other strugglers do.

When the strugglers play each other, they can't both win - and often a draw can be a satisfactory result from our perspective, providing we've won a point or 3 ourselves.

CP, being the son of Curbs, will perhaps give priority that we don't lose when we ourselves play another struggling side, especially away from home.

It's all to play for - and in our own hands.

• Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options

Comfortable away win 4-0.

I hope your right this week more than any other week.
  • Options

REALLY not bothered if we've driven all that way to watch a terrible game as long as we score more goals than the opposition.

COYA !!!!!!

• Options

REALLY not bothered if we've driven all that way to watch a terrible game as long as we score more goals than the opposition.

COYA !!!!!!

Can we have a prediction please, fanny?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

COYA !!!!!!

Solly, stonewallpenalty but don't think I've ever made a prediction on here & won't change that now.

Just one of my funny quirks....

• Options

COYA !!!!!!

Solly, stonewallpenalty but don't think I've ever made a prediction on here & won't change that now.

Just one of my funny quirks....

Fair enough. I just know you have been most the games and are in a position to give an informed prediction. I haven't been since Sheff wed.
  • Options
    Fox has been drafted into the squad since Saturday and the injury to Evina.
  • Options

COYA !!!!!!

Thought you would have stayed up there after the Huddersfield game and have a few Yorkshire puddings?
  • Options
    Not losing to this lot is paramount.

A win would be orgasmic.

(I live a sad life:-) )
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Good analysis , personally I do not like playing with inverted (wrong footed) full backs , so I this this as a choice between Fox , Lennon or Wood.

Morgan Fox has been close to playing before and was an unused sub twice last season. On the few occasions I have seen him play he has impressed me and crucially it is his natural position and he is effective going forward in the same way that Wiggins is .Harry Lennon is also a great prospect and is left footed but he is a centre back. Clearly he has become our 4th choice following Cort's injury which is why he has made the bench recently and got his chance in front of Fox yesterday.

Wood is better in the centre in my view and I hope he is recalled as well, but I would not want him shoe horned into the left back slot for which I think he would be too slow for, we would never have considered his fellow left footer Llera for that role and I always felt that 2 of our other recent left sided defenders Grant Basey and Matt Fry were better playing in the centre than at left back .Thirty years ago we might have got away with it as Andy Nelson was fond of playing the likes of Lawrie Madden and Peter Shaw at full back in the modern day it is not tenable in my view.

• Options
    Just don't lose boys
  • Options
    Could be the game that defines our season. Very disappointed that we have not been able to strengthen and we may well yet rue the decision not to spend on a striker. If the Jermaine Easter rumour has legs then we are trying to do things on the very cheap and deserve all we get. Tough fixture at at any time but this is a must not lose. My gut feeling is Donny 1 - Charlton 0 and our fragility up front comes home to roost.
  • Options
    Think we will sacrifice width & play Astrid, cousins, Stephens & Jackson behind yann & church. JJ is a must start in such a big game. Tight game. 1-1
  • Options
    Would like to see us go back to 3-5-2. fits the players we have and can give us the extra man in midfield to tighten up in this important game.