Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Estate Agents / Moving Gaff

The last time i upped sticks was before the internet was invented , i understand the 'average' person in the uk moves home every 7 years , because i haven't done it for a while , i just wondered if anyone had any good tips.

I've watched a lot of the location location programmes , and i've registered with all the estate agents in the area that i'd like to move to , although there's not a lot available at the moment, but there's one particular agent that is frankly a right pain in the arse , and far too pushy , i'm finding it a struggle to stay polite , just wondered if anyone had moved home recently and had any tips or was in the same boat and wanted to share their experiences.

Comments

• where are you looking to move to - and from for that matter.

They are all pushy unfortunately. I tried to sell 2 years ago and ended up renting my house out. I still get monthly calls from 3 agencies seeing if I am still looking. They are mostly idiots.

My cousin set one up last year in sunny Dartford. He wanted to get away from Spicer McColl because of their dirty tactics and bullsh1t. I said that his best bet is to be honest and he'll be alright. Seems to be working out for him so far.

• stay put its the biggest ball ache ever
  • We went to see one house and the house owner couldn't understand why we were at his house , he had been told told by the estate agent that as far as he knew his house was sold and going through fine, the estate agent told us that the move had fallen through and was now back on the market , its hard to know who to believe , i tend to er on the house sellers side.
  • stay put its the biggest ball ache ever

This, a thousand times over. We moved 3 years ago and I literally made myself ill with the stress of it. The house buying system in this country is a fucking joke. Any political party that vowed to reform the system would get my vote.

• Estate agents are more than a pain in the arse they are tumours.

Don't worry about upsetting these idiots let some steam off at them next time they phone up.

Use an Internet company to sell your place a bloke on here does that.
  • Carter said:

Estate agents are more than a pain in the arse they are tumours.

Don't worry about upsetting these idiots let some steam off at them next time they phone up.

Daughter & family moving to E Sussex next Weds & if we decide to follow, will DEFINITELY sell privately.

• edited January 2014
    use Right Move and Zoopla to search for properties and when you find something you like have a look at it on Google Street View, then if you still like it go for a drive on the area and if you still like it make an appointment to view.

there is so much you can do these days without going near the dreaded estate agent, I have a part time job showing people round properties for an Estate Agent and my advice when viewing is get as much information from them as possible and give away as little as possible.

remember that the agent is being paid by the vendor not the purchaser

good luck
  • Carter said:

Daughter & family moving to E Sussex next Weds & if we decide to follow, will DEFINITELY sell privately.

I'd never sell privately, I've seen a number of deals go wrong that way and estate agents can provide a good service, Ok at a price, but then if they sell your property then often it is worth the fee
  • We went to see one house and the house owner couldn't understand why we were at his house , he had been told told by the estate agent that as far as he knew his house was sold and going through fine, the estate agent told us that the move had fallen through and was now back on the market , its hard to know who to believe , i tend to er on the house sellers side.

You can generally tell when an Estate Agent is lying - Their lips move.
  • Carter said:

Definitely this. There's a fair few companies now that stick it on the major property websites for you and deal with calls from interested parties. You do the viewings yourself. They usually charge a low, flat fee and have less means (and less motivation) to be lying, incompetent crooks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Depending on location, an estate agent barely needs to lift a finger to get a house sold. Many go under offer within a fortnight in many areas of London, if not sooner!

Conveynacer is an almost bigger rip off too.
  • Not forgetting the biggest rip off of all , Stamp duty
  • Due to exchange contracts this week.

and previously managed an independent estate agents.

it is a fantastic time to sell, and during the next 18 months I would only expect it to get better.

The assumption that all estate agents always lie is rubbish. If your open and upfront with what you want and are looking to achieve, im sure youll find they reciprocate. Its all about managing each others expectations.

My key tip would be do not look at any houses to buy until you have accepted an offer on yours. So many times have I seen people fall in love with a property only to lose out due to their currwnt property not selling on time.

good luck with whatever you decide.
  • At every step its a pain in the arse. Right from the start looking bit through to the paying the 1st months mortgage bit.
    A very stressfull period of life.
    I sold my house, rented for a few months and then found a place to buy. An expensive way to do things but if you have no chain behind or in front it can be an advantage. I bought my current house in 4 weeks this way. Also it allowed me to do a bit of decorating before moving in.
  • For those buying a property and especially those who want to do it themselves, make sure you insure the property from the moment you exchange contracts. Do not wait until you have moved in because you are responsible once you have exchanged. In addition, if the property is not inhabited, explain that to the insurance company as it may affect the insurance contract.

• My key tip would be do not look at any houses to buy until you have accepted an offer on yours. So many times have I seen people fall in love with a property only to lose out due to their currwnt property not selling on time.

Really? I'd have thought it's key to start looking asap, get to know the areas you're looking at, see potential houses so you can begin to understand the things you don't & do like in the various properties in the area etc etc. Also get to build up relationships with local estate agents. You may find your perfect house and the vendors are still to find somewhere anyway, so time isn't as much an issue.

Sounds odd waiting for your house to go under offer before even starting looking. Not appealing to those buying your house if you're yet to even begin your search.
  • I worked in the property industry at a terrible time, but it wasnt uncommon for a property tobe on the market for circa 6-8 months.
    its worth familiarising yourself with the area and see 3-4 properties with different drawers, either price or location etc.
    you may also find an agent very reluctant to spend all day with you doing 6-7 viewings if your not in a position to buy as it could potentially be a waste of their time.
  • Moved nearly 5 years ago and got nothing but the runaround from the agent - playing us against other potential buyers etc, all to make a few extra quid! They are the most spineless bunch of creeps I have ever had the misfortune to deal with! Driven solely by greed, they do not care what they do or who they stomp over to get a fast buck! No morals, no scruples, no integrity, no credibility! Utter scumbags.
  • Go on. Tell us what you really think of them!
  • - Screen the properties you want to look at 1st - have a driveby, nothing worse for you and the seller if, even before you step through the door, you know you won't want it

- take what the agent tells you with a pinch of salt

- list out your criteria of things you want including all the necessary questions like how old is the boiler, when were the electrics last checked etc etc - this list will keep you honest with yourself instead of getting carried away with one you just like the look of (it's very easy to talk yourself into a bad purchase)

- thoroughly research sold prices in the street/area - you will soon get a very good feel for what is the right price for the house/flat

- if there is one you feel you may want try and get some dialogue going with the seller - you can get more information this way and it can also remove the agent 'control' which can often be more of a hindrance than a help.

- when you offer leave yourself a bit of room to go up in price & don't be afraid to stipulate exchange & completion timescales. (usually one party wants to go slower than the other)

- don't feel pressurised into offering 'over the odds' for your dream home - there will be another dream home around the corner
  • Sponsored links:

• Some good advice , keep it coming , sorry DH , i wasn't having a pop at all estate agents , i guess like any industry there are good and bad , too say this fella was pushy was an understatement!

• - don't feel pressurised into offering 'over the odds' for your dream home - there will be another dream home around the corner

True...but not always for the same price. Properties in my road have risen between 8-13% since February.
  • Swisdom said:

where are you looking to move to - and from for that matter.

I had my eyes on Chelsfield , i hear TJ has a nice pad up for grabs! :-0
  • They key to not getting stressed out during the process is to assume, right from the off, that every single person involved in the process (the agent, the vendor, your conveyancer, their conveyancer, the mortgage broker, their mortgage broker, both lenders, the surveyor, the removals men, Uncle Tom Cobbly and all, including even yourself a little maybe when you start losing perspective...) is a useless f@#$wit out to throw a spanner in the works and cause you seemingly endless grief at very expensive rates.

Get yourself in that mindset and anything other than complete ineptitude will be a bonus and therefore a right result!

Or is that just my painful, bitter experience?
  • I worked in the property industry at a terrible time,

Glad I picked on you now :-)
  • edited January 2014
    If you think you don't need an estate agent, there's nothing to stop you doing it yourself.
  • I worked in the property industry at a terrible time,

Glad I picked on you now :-)
    Haha. I hasten to point out the past tense in my sentence. Everybody has to earn a living. Some do jobs they enjoy some dont. In a much better place now though.
  • Carter said:

Absolutely agree. Scum of the earth. Yet to meet one who didn't need their face caving in with 4 by 2.

The internet should have made these chancers obsolete by now - sheer intransigence on the part of homeowners keeps them in a job. The sooner everyone wakes up to that the better - 50,000 estate agents on the dole is a price worth paying.
  • Carter said:

Absolutely agree. Scum of the earth. Yet to meet one who didn't need their face caving in with 4 by 2.

The internet should have made these chancers obsolete by now - sheer intransigence on the part of homeowners keeps them in a job. The sooner everyone wakes up to that the better - 50,000 estate agents on the dole is a price worth paying.
    I'm an estate agent.

I'm a reasonably nice bloke who works for a living to feed my family.

Please don't generalise. By doing so makes you a narrow minded t*#$t.
  • Puts you in a minority of one so far.