Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zulu (the film 50th anniversary.)

Comments

• Options

Great film, made famous because it's the only film in which Micheal Caine didn't play himself

'The Cider House Rules', 'Dressed to Kill'?

As for 'Zulu', I'm not bothered by the historical innacuracies: it's called artistic licence. It's a film, and a good one for all that.

'Zulus, sir, thousands of 'em.'
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    That old boy up on the hill... He's counting your Guns

Just one thought... JUST ONE THOUGHT

The bloke counting the guns must be a high ranking official (they should know where he is because (1) Their native bloke points him out and (2) When the Zulus kept advancing they'd point with their spears to show where he was).

Why didnt the British send one or two men out in secret to get 'em!!

Leaders dead and the foot soldiers would have been fooked
  • Options
    Everyone's a general nowadays!
  • Options
    Fire at Will.......Why what have I done?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    It is absolutely a great film, however unfortunately a lot of people have often taken the artistic licence aspects as being facts about Rourkes Drift and will argue until they're blue in the face about them. "Haven't you seen the film"
  • Options

Simonsen said:

One for the military tacticians.....

Did the Zulus make a fuck of it?

4,000 of them.....why didn't they completely surround Rorke's Drift and all steam in, in one go? How many shots would the British get off successfully before being totally engulfed?

Game over in about 5 minutes.

They had won a much bigger battle in the morning against a larger force.

Roukes Drift wasn't that important to them, they'd lost a lot of men and a relief column was coming.

Taking nothing away from the bravery of the defenders but the British Army talked up Rourke's Drift to deflect attention from the very embarrassing defeat in the morning. It's mentioned in the film, something like "the army doesn't like two disasters on the same day as it looks bad in the morning papers"
    True, but the contingent of Zulu at Rorke's Drift hadn't been at Isandlwana. The guy in charge, Dabulamanzi kaMpande, ignored the chief's orders in making the attack and did a very poor job of it, despite the British doing what they hadn't done at Isandlwana and making a defensible perimeter (or laager as the Dutch called it, which is derived from the same word as lager, the drink).
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Makes it an even worse showing from the Zulus. All they were up against was a bunch of laagered-up Welsh/Brummies and still got turned over.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Makes it an even worse showing from the Zulus. All they were up against was a bunch of lagered-up Welsh/Brummies and still got turned over.

Is that why the brum naughty boys are called the Zulus?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Something else @Off_it might be interested in:

Sydenham VC holders

Sydenham can boast several VC holders. The earliest holder I could find was Private Harry Hook (1850-1905) who received his VC at Rorke's Drift, Natal, in 1879. He bought his discharge in June 1880 and came to live on Sydenham Hill. However by March 1881 he was working as a groom in Monmouthshire (he probably did similar work in one of the large houses on Sydenham Hill), so his links with Sydenham were short-lived.

Taken from the Sydenham and Forest Hill Blog
  • Options
    Our office in SA is in prime Zulu territory and near Rourke's drift so next time we visit we will be visiting the area.
    Some really interesting museums and military history dotted around too.
    Fascinating place
  • Options

That old boy up on the hill... He's counting your Guns

Just one thought... JUST ONE THOUGHT

The bloke counting the guns must be a high ranking official (they should know where he is because (1) Their native bloke points him out and (2) When the Zulus kept advancing they'd point with their spears to show where he was).

Why didnt the British send one or two men out in secret to get 'em!!

Leaders dead and the foot soldiers would have been fooked

Anf it would have made for a crap film!
  • Options
    ABC Bexleyheath with dad I think, I must have been 9 or 10. If I had a pound for every time iv seen it since I'd have about £30. My Fav film of all time.
  • Options

ABC Bexleyheath with dad I think, I must have been 9 or 10. If I had a pound for every time iv seen it since I'd have about £30. My Fav film of all time.

Mine too
  • Options
    just found out that Colour Serjeant Bourne lived on the same road in Beckenham that my dad was born on
  • Options
    Film was released in 1964 and I saw it at the age of 7... was bloody terrified! I'm sure it was Woolwich Odeon.
  • Options
    Remind me, who won again?
  • Options
    First saw ZULU in 64 at the cinema.. top of Blackwell lane .......best film ever ... also though ZULU DAWN was a good film ...
  • Options
    Certainly one of my top 5 favourite films. It's one of those films that you can watch over and over again and enjoy it just as much if not more on each subsequent viewing.

Stanley Baker is immense as Chard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of my favourite films - like so many others here. First saw it in 1967 in Athens of all places.

Have seen it too many times to count, but it always remains fresh to me. Unlike many other good films.
  • Options
    Factually nebulous at best and Caine miscast but I love that movie.
  • Options

Simonsen said:

Simonsen said:

One for the military tacticians.....

Did the Zulus make a fuck of it?

4,000 of them.....why didn't they completely surround Rorke's Drift and all steam in, in one go? How many shots would the British get off successfully before being totally engulfed?

Game over in about 5 minutes.

They had won a much bigger battle in the morning against a larger force.

Exactly. They should've been on a roll!
    Didnt help that they sacked their General after Isandlwana thinking he'd taken them as far as they could go.

It was downhill afterwards, partly because they kept relying on loanees from other tribes!!
    got a vision of chubby zulu leader with a scouse accent who tells the opposition what his tactics are before every battle
  • Options

I thought Caine was superb.

• Options

same here
  • Options
    The Odeon Eltham Well Hall. Saw it twice in the first week it was on, first with my mum midweek, and then my dad at the weekend. Still my all-time favourite film. Must have watched it 60 times in 50 years. Historically inaccurate but what the hell. Have a mate who is a direct relation of a VC winner that day by the name of Private Hitch.
  • Options
    lolwray said:

same here
    Agreed but wasn't he the working class boy cast as the Etonian gentleman officer ?

No offence intended to Sir Michael and his loyal fanbase.
  • Options

lolwray said:

same here
    Agreed but wasn't he the working class boy cast as the Etonian gentleman officer ?

No offence intended to Sir Michael and his loyal fanbase.
    It's called "acting" for a reason.

He was 31 playing the role of a 37 year old. IMHO he was very well cast.
  • Options
    Saw it at the Roxy Blackheath Standard when it was first out. Loved it then. Love it now.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Saw it at the Roxy Blackheath Standard when it was first out. Loved it then. Love it now.

That's where I first saw it too.