Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Serie A

Comments

• Options
    More drama

Cagliari beating Napoli 1-0
    Mertens makes it 1-1 in the 85th minute

5 minutes added on
    93rd minute Napoli appeal for penalty
    95th minute ref goes to VAR
    97th minute Penalty awarded
    98th minute Penalty scored

Napoli win 2-1

Oh and IMO it was never a handball
  • Options
    Reports in Italy that Allegri is leaving Juventus at the end of the season.

11 trophies and 2 Champions League finals in 5 seasons

Conte rumoured to be returning to Turin.
  • Options
    3 games to go and Atalanta are in prime position for the Champions League.

Inters last few performances have looked very much like they are already on the beach, drawn their last 3 games which has made them catchable in 3rd if they continue to slump. They need to be careful, missing out on the CL would be a disaster and while unlikely they are only 4 points ahead of Milan and Roma in 5th and 6th. They do have Chievo (bottom and relegated weeks ago) this weekend but with Napoli next week they’ll need to get 3 points on Monday night.

Atalanta, as I’ve said before, their only chance of keeping key players, the front 3 most importantly is to get Champions League football. BUT even that probably won’t be enough to keep Duvan Zapata. He’s having an outstanding season, looks sure to score every time he gets in front of goal, a real presence on the pitch. But he’s 28 and I think he knows this is his best chance of going to a big club (he was at Napoli around 5 years ago but never really got a long spell in the team, he’s improved massively since), likewise Atalanta know he probably won’t be worth more than he is now.
    Personally feel if they can keep hold of Ilicic and Gomez losing Zapata would be manageable. Bit of a contradiction after raving about Zapata but the way Atalanta play he would probably be the easiest to replace. Although unlikely to find a replacement as good.

Milan and Roma (59 points) and Torino (57) will be hoping Atalanta on 62 slip up for the last spot but Lazio will be hoping for Europa at best after losing to Atalanta last week. Even Europa League would require teams above them dropping points. However Lazio do have the cup final to look forward to this midweek vs Atalanta. So they can get their European football fix with a win there. Lazio likely to rest players for the league game at Cagliari ahead of that final while Atalanta chasing top 4 don’t have that luxury.
    Roma vs Juventus is the big clash this weekend.

At the other end Empoli and Udinese are trying to avoid the last relegation spot. Udinese could make it a 5 point gap if they beat already relegated Frosinone and Empoli lose to Sampdoria led by the mighty Quagliarella, who at 36 is clear at the top of the scoring charts, now 3 ahead of Zapata and 4 in front of Ronaldo.
    Quagliarella has been a joy to watch this season, leads the line so well and brings others into play like it’s the simplest thing in the world. Not often a player for a mid table team is the leagues top scorer.

Quick mention for Spal too. They looked in big trouble not so long ago but they’ve won 6 of their last 8 games, jumped to 11th in the league and can start planning for another year in the top flight.
  • Options
    I live in Bergamo and have a season ticket at Atalanta. l am lucky enough to know many of the players and know the club well. I would agree with your thoughts on Zapata @stackitsteve. Certainly replaceable. Difficult not to score in a team with Goma and Illcic. The key to Atalanta's success has been Martin De Roon. Arguably the most effective defensive midfielder in Europe. His work rate, endevour and distribution gives the more attacking players a freedom they wouldn't get in other sides. 

The biggest loss for Atalanta would be the manager Gasperini. A dignified man who fits well with the mentality of the club. It will be interested to see what happens in the summer with him. 

Seri A let's not forget whilst getting more exciting is a poor league. This year in particular. Lyle Taylor would walk in to a couple of the sides lower in league. The Italians have a problem with player young players. Culturally the are risk adverse and giving a young player an opportunity doesn't happen often. Kean at Juve is a rare exception. They admire very much the English never give up attitude and our approach to attacking football.

In other news Brescia got promoted from Serie B, they have a talented lad called Tonali. You would here more of him for sure. The derby next year with Atalanta would be the first in a decade or so. The rivalry is fierce and possible unequalled in Italy. 
  • Options
    Atalanta beat Genoa and are now 6 points clear of Milan and Roma (who both have 3 games left).
  • Options
    I live in Bergamo and have a season ticket at Atalanta. l am lucky enough to know many of the players and know the club well. I would agree with your thoughts on Zapata @stackitsteve. Certainly replaceable. Difficult not to score in a team with Goma and Illcic. The key to Atalanta's success has been Martin De Roon. Arguably the most effective defensive midfielder in Europe. His work rate, endevour and distribution gives the more attacking players a freedom they wouldn't get in other sides. 

The biggest loss for Atalanta would be the manager Gasperini. A dignified man who fits well with the mentality of the club. It will be interested to see what happens in the summer with him. 

Seri A let's not forget whilst getting more exciting is a poor league. This year in particular. Lyle Taylor would walk in to a couple of the sides lower in league. The Italians have a problem with player young players. Culturally the are risk adverse and giving a young player an opportunity doesn't happen often. Kean at Juve is a rare exception. They admire very much the English never give up attitude and our approach to attacking football.

In other news Brescia got promoted from Serie B, they have a talented lad called Tonali. You would here more of him for sure. The derby next year with Atalanta would be the first in a decade or so. The rivalry is fierce and possible unequalled in Italy. 

Is De Roon the one that played for Boro? Didn't Boro buy him from Atalanta and then sell him back to them after 1 season?

Milan currently leading 1-0 so will be  3pts behind...if they win. Hope Atalanta qualify.

I didn't know their local derby was a fierce one. I went to a Lazio v Roma game and that game was crazy. Kicking off before the match, during the match and after.

• Options
    Same De Roon. Different animal in Italy. An absolute superstar in that Atalanta midfield.
  • Options
    I've been in Italy this weekend and managed to sneak off to SPAL 1-2 Napoli. It was a fun game, both teams could have scored more and the atmosphere was decent. SPAL had a tifo at the start and Napoli sang for 90 minutes without repeating a song - impressive. They also had a couple of huge bangers that shook the stadium. 

From Bologna it's 30 minutes on the train and 5 minutes walk. It's by far the most modern Italian ground I've been to (not been to the new Juve). I always talk up Milan as a base for groundhopping trips but Bologna equally has loads of places within 75 minutes. 
  • Options
    In the race for Champions League (and Europa League too)
    ALL of the teams involved won this weekend (Inter play tomorrow)

Sooo close, it’s definitely going to the last weekend of the season now.
    the top 4 play each other next week...Inter @ Napoli and Atalanta @ Juventus

at the bottom I said yesterday Empoli and Udinese were fighting to avoid the drop, incredibly they both enjoyed away wins this weekend which has really put the pressure on Genoa, who now sit between the two clubs and are only a point clear of safety.

At this rate the final weekend of the season there could be something on the line in every game
  • Options

Fiorentina have a new owner.

Rocco Commisso, who was born in southern Italy but moved to the United States when he was 12, said in an interview on Thursday that the deal was completed within three weeks of his signing a letter of intent to acquire the Florence-based team

Commisso declined to reveal how much he was paying; news media reports suggested a deal was struck at fee between $150 million and $200 million.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/06/sports/rocco-commisso-fiorentina-cosmos.html

Shows how quickly a sale can be made if the owner is asking for a fair price.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ex Shakhtar manager Paulo Fonseca announced as new Roma boss
  • Options

Manolas to Napoli is a huge signing.

Meret, Ghoulam, Koulibaly and Manolas in the back 5 is one hell of a defence. They have also signed Di Lorenzo to play right back but I don't know much about him.

Inter have De Vrij, Godin and Skriniar.

Juve have Bonucci, De Ligt and Chiellini.

Excited for Serie A next season already.

• Options
    Since BT lost Serie A coverage i have not been watching much. Really hoping Napoli can win the league as Juve every year is becoming too easy. Is that confirmed that they have signed De Ligt? If so i guess that is another title in the bag.
    Pleased for Atalanta that they qualified for champs league
  • Options
    Cannot believe nobody bigger came in for Godin
  • Options
    Since BT lost Serie A coverage i have not been watching much. Really hoping Napoli can win the league as Juve every year is becoming too easy. Is that confirmed that they have signed De Ligt? If so i guess that is another title in the bag.
    I fancy Inter to push Juventus hardest this season
  • Options
    I fancy Inter to push Juventus hardest this season
    Yeh maybe. If they get Lukaku as well that is a good squad. I just really have enjoyed Napoli the last few years and would like them to do it.
    Juve just add to their squad each year tho. Will be interesting to see how Ramsey gets on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I saw Juve signed Pellegrini with Spinnazolla going the other way to Roma. Strange one as Spinnazola is good.

Theyve also got another great free signing in Rabiot. God knows what they’re wage bill is like with the free’s they sign.
  • Options
    Rabiot for PSG? He went for free ?
  • Options
    Rabiot for PSG? He went for free ?
    Out of contract 
  • Options
    I saw Juve signed Pellegrini with Spinnazolla going the other way to Roma. Strange one as Spinnazola is good.

Theyve also got another great free signing in Rabiot. God knows what they’re wage bill is like with the free’s they sign.
    De Ligt is looking for 12 million a year....NET
    that would make him the 2nd highest earner at Juventus, behind Ronaldo who takes home 30
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I love the San Paolo's new seating. Looks like a totally different stadium. 

• Options
    RedPanda said:
    I love the San Paolo's new seating. Looks like a totally different stadium. 

Is that so they can play there in Europe this season or have they missed the deadline?
  • Options
    I believe Napoli were granted permission by UEFA to use San Paolo next season.
    I remember Atalanta were using Napoli as an example that they should be allowed an exemption too.
  • Options
    I remember Atalanta were using Napoli as an example that they should be allowed an exemption too.

Atalanta are using the San Siro because their stadium is being renovated.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Cannot believe nobody bigger came in for Godin

Not sure there are that many bigger teams than Inter. Especially now they look to be on the rise again with solid foundations. He knows he will start almost every match and most players would love to work under Conte.

Inter also just made a big signing in Nicolo Barella. If they can get Lukaku then I think they could really scare Juve this year.

Just look at what Conte did in 2016 with the worst Italian national team probably ever. He made Giaccherini look like Ronaldo and they nearly won the whole tournament!

Either way, very excited for the new season especially if Napoli get hold of James Rodriguez.

• Options
    dizzee said:

Atalanta are using the San Siro because their stadium is being renovated.
    Yeah, I meant Atalanta used Napoli as an example in their appeal. Sorry wasn’t clear.
  • Options
    Re James Rodriguez, saw an interview with his agent/advisor who said he and his family were settled in Madrid and Atleti were his preferred choice.

Blow for Napoli that, I imagine they’ll go back for Lozano at PSV now. I know they made enquires in January.
  • Options
    Any idea when the fixtures are out for the season?
  • Options
    cafc4life said:
    Any idea when the fixtures are out for the season?
    Fixtures out 29th July
    Season starts 24th August
  • Options
    Week 2:
    Rome derby and Juventus vs Napoli  :open_mouth: