Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alcorcon - Spanish club the latest in Duchatelet stable? (Ed. Yes)

Comments

• Options
    Hopefully someone Italian, maybe Genoa or Torino
  • Options
    I hear they have a good goalkeeper.
  • Options
    a small Kerry Dixon third from left, back row.

and Barry Gibb, front row right end.
  • Options
    So what's Roland's plans? Running one club and getting it to make a profit is hard enough, running 5 or 6 seems like madness to me.
  • Options
    Martomoto said:

Can see some similarities between the clubs - their 70's team front row centre is the Spanish Derek Hales and back row right is the Spanish Keith Peacock!

Wow, that keeper was a unit eh?
  • Options
    Does make you wonder what he's at. Perhaps by having a stable of clubs in different countries he thinks he can establish and utilise a wide scouting network to unearth some talent from all over Europe. He can then move it to the team of his choice at the time to progress them and then sell them on at a profit. A bit like playing cards with several packs - you could end up with a dozen aces - or maybe a dozen jokers!!
  • Options
    I don't think we'll get the jokers. We must be one of the jewells in his crown - potentially at least. But we could be seeing our fair share of overseas players coming in over the next few years.
  • Options

Martomoto said:

Can see some similarities between the clubs - their 70's team front row centre is the Spanish Derek Hales and back row right is the Spanish Keith Peacock!

John Humphrey second left bottom row. Im not obsessed, honest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks like Killer's long lost brother in the middle of the front row
  • Options
    It will be interested to hear the reasoning behind buying so many teams in different countries. It will be surprising if RD actually shares it with us though.
  • Options

John Humphrey second left bottom row. Im not obsessed, honest.
    Mark Stuart front left?
  • Options
    TBH the Championship is a bigger league than anything any of his other clubs are in; Standard Liege have the advantage of being a big team from a small country, thus regular European football. In terms of all the other teams outside Belgium, all have "potential", most have history, but only one can get promoted to the Premiership. (Alcorcon could be promoted to La Liga, but the record of really tiny clubs without a historic base in La Liga is not good). I think it will be interesting, though it's stating the obvious that there will be business decisions taken that we as fans won't like. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Pozzo family who own Udinese, Watford and Granada are at least part of the inspiration for RD.
  • Options

It's certainly interesting about RD's intentions, but I think it's also rather intriguing how he's paying for this spree.

Maybe the purchase costs are not great, although 4th Div CJ Jena is said to have cost him 2 mil. However, the development/running costs will not be cheap. Out of his half a billion Euros, how much is liquid and not booked for other expenditure ? Or is he borrowing on the basis that a huge throughput of young players is bound to turn up the odd Bale or a Messi ? Or does he have other investors bankrolling him ?

I thought from the start that we would be the apple of his eye, and I'm more and more convinced that is the case. I think we will see a lot of commitment from him. Better days ahead !
  • Options
    Agree, GHF.

I reckon he'll be thinking that if he can get Charlton in the Prem, then he has the conduit in place to filter through the TV money.

And of course the values of any of his players playing in the Prem would escalate too.
  • Options

I think if he is seriously caked-up we could be about to see some very pleasing developments. On the other hand, as part of a group structure there may be some attractive career prospects for our management and coaching staff, particularly the latter. Whose to say that tonight's win doesn't enhance Paul Hart's already impressive credentials, in a highly development-minded organisation ?
  • Options
    I think Paul Hart is superbly placed in his current role at Charlton. He knows British youth football inside out and his real value to RD and his project is to keep him exactly where he is
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

He'd need to buy quite a few more clubs first! 6 team league might get a bit boring

Better than the, effectively, one-team league they have in Scotland though!
  • Options

Martomoto said:

Looks like an extra from McVicar ;)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    rananegra said:

TBH the Championship is a bigger league than anything any of his other clubs are in; Standard Liege have the advantage of being a big team from a small country, thus regular European football. In terms of all the other teams outside Belgium, all have "potential", most have history, but only one can get promoted to the Premiership. (Alcorcon could be promoted to La Liga, but the record of really tiny clubs without a historic base in La Liga is not good). I think it will be interesting, though it's stating the obvious that there will be business decisions taken that we as fans won't like. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Pozzo family who own Udinese, Watford and Granada are at least part of the inspiration for RD.

That's what the Meridian Radio interview seems to suggest. Players could start out at Ujpest, go to Standard and eventually us (but presumably we'd have to be in the Prem for that to happen).

He now owns clubs in the bigger European leagues. A player might be worth say £5m at Standard but a good season the Prem with us or perhaps Alcorcon in La Liga could double that after a good season. If players can be developed and sold for big profits that money will keep the clubs running and Duchatelet won't have to put millions in every season.

In our last few seasons in the Prem as a club we tried something similar linking up with various teams mainly around Europe. We signed a few promising young players but none of them broke through. We had players from the Ivory Coast club ASEC out on loan but again that didn't work out for us. The difference here is these clubs have the same owner so there's no concern that a change of manager or owner will put an end to link up. This could also be on a much bigger scale, to compare to what the Pozzo family have done, Udinese have something like 25 to 30 players out on loan.

According to http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/udinese-calcio/transfers/verein_410.html they have spent nearly £13m this season but sold players for over £23m. The previous season £22m spent and £45m sold, 11/12 £18m spent £62m sold. I don't know how accurate that site is but it says they've made a profit on transfers every season since 05/06.

If this is the plan Duchatelet has probably been working towards it for the last few seasons. We've already got one loan from Standard who without our new owner probably wouldn't be able to sign. Going to be interesting to see where this goes.
  • Options
    Scoham, that sounds like a Euro wide version of New York Addicks Money ball idea.
  • Options
    Love of money or love of football? Clearly money
  • Options
    Hope we don't get their No.27 (even though he is a striker).
    Can't see many people wanting his name on their shirt - Dani PONCE !!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Agree, GHF.

I reckon he'll be thinking that if he can get Charlton in the Prem, then he has the conduit in place to filter through the TV money.

And of course the values of any of his players playing in the Prem would escalate too.

Been waiting for some one to say this as this is exactly what is going to happen.
  • Options
    They've signed biton from standard liege , who we was linked with
  • Options
    This is another relegation battle Duchatelet is fighting!! After their defeat against Real Zaragoza yesterday, Alcorcon have slipped into the bottom four in Segunda División. Wonder if any of our youngsters might head in the same direction. Guess the standard may be a little too high?
  • Options
    This is another relegation battle Duchatelet is fighting!! After their defeat against Real Zaragoza yesterday, Alcorcon have slipped into the bottom four in Segunda División. Wonder if any of our youngsters might head in the same direction. Guess the standard may be a little too high?
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

If was after a club from Madrid thats a similar size to us I think Rayo Vallecano are a better fit...

Except we havnt made it to Quarters of a European Competition.....yet .

• Options
    edited January 2014

CAFCTrev said:

If was after a club from Madrid thats a similar size to us I think Rayo Vallecano are a better fit...

Except we havnt made it to Quarters of a European Competition.....yet .

Yeah Rayo had a good little spell in La Liga in the early 2000's. Struggling this season though, heres hoping they can scrap to safety. Incidentally Rayo were Laurie Cunningham's final club image