Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC & Sky lose FA Cup rights

edited March 2007 in General Charlton
BBC & Sky have lost TV FA Cup rights to ITV and Irish company Setanta . BBC have also lost the England home games.
I hate ITV's football coverage and certainly will not be subscribing to another satellite company. Bugger!

Comments

• "one Michael Grade, there's only one Michael Grade"
  • agreed, as much as i don't like the concept of Sky, i know what i get with football coverage, and with Sentana getting involved, its either going to mean another pay out, or more trips to the pub....
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]"one Michael Grade, there's only one Michael Grade"

True- lets hope a footy fan can have some influence on the distinct lack of quality in ITV's football production though!

IMHO- of course
  • edited March 2007
    Do you reckon Robbie and Andy are going to get a new pitch side table from MFI for this?
  • edited March 2007
    At least we're likely to get a "proper" presenter on ITV in Steve Ryder rather than Gary Lineker (and he's a Charlton fan!).

I was under the impression he only went to ITV to cover the Grands Prix, but having anchored the World Cup last year, hopefully he'll get the FA Cup job too.
  • I like Steve Ryder, miss him at Augusta. I like Gary Lineker too though.
    Just no Jim Rosenthall...PLEASE!
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]I like Steve Ryder, miss him at Augusta. I like Gary Lineker too though.
    Just no Jim Rosenthall...PLEASE!
    I think Rosenthall's gone "part-time" now and just does the boxing.
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    I think Rosenthall's gone "part-time" now and just does the boxing.

I'd like to box him, I'd go straight for that ridiculous nose!
  • A few first thoughts.....
    "There will also be more airtime for other FA competitions and teams, such as The FA Community Shield, The FA Trophy, FA Vase and FA Youth Cup, all of which will now be covered in greater depth by Setanta Sports."
    Is anyone really going to subscribe to this channel? They nicked the US PGA tour from Sky this year wich peed me off but even so I'm still not going to pay for more than I do already.

"The women’s game will benefit from enhanced programming including live ITV1 coverage of the Women’s FA Cup Final."

On second thoughts......! ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• These people must have done some Market Research?
    With TV advertising revenues falling massively in the last couple of years Senanta must be very confident of new subscribers. I just cannot see it.
  • What happened the last time ITV went large into the football market?

On-Digital?

Exactly! Some clubs are still paying for that fiasco.
  • In a way I'm gutted as I just cant stand ITV football coverage.

The only good thing to come out of this is to see even less of Gaby Logan on BBC. The woman doesnt have a clue about anything to do with football and shouldnt be allowed anywhere near football ever again.
  • Iwatched the Newcastle game on Setanta out in NYC and the coverage was terrible.

I don't know if it is standard but i'm presuming it will change as there were no interviews after the games, no analysis, no nothing.
  • I LOVE GABBY YORATH!!!
    I'D CERTAINLY PAY A MONTHLY SUBSCRIBTION FOR HER!!!!
    YUM YUM!!!!
  • you'd pay good money for a piece of that
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]I LOVE GABBY YORATH!!!
    I'D CERTAINLY PAY A MONTHLY SUBSCRIBTION FOR HER!!!!
    YUM YUM!!!!

She was at my office doing a talk recently as part of our "diversity week" - it was the only sold out event of the week, wonder why?!!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]
    "The women’s game will benefit from enhanced programming including live ITV1 coverage of the Women’s FA Cup Final."

On second thoughts......! ;-)
    So....exactly what the BBC show at the moment! ...and no mention of the Women's League Cup final which is currently shown on Sky.

Also, according to the "who gets what" list on the FA website, England won't be playing any Away Qualifiers during the period of the contract, or at leat they're not being televised.
  • Away qualifers aren't controlled by the FA, they are sold as and when by the opposition country
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Away qualifers aren't controlled by the FA, they are sold as and when by the opposition country
    D'oh! (hangs head in shame...)