Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• and we thought we had problems! Shocking.
  • No wonder Gartside wanted to get rid of relegation from the Premiership
  • Relying on one bloke to keep pumping the money in - risky but like so many clubs.

The days of Big Sam and reaching Europe must seem like years ago now.

Spent quite a bit on wages haven't they and thought Bolton might be in contention for promotion.
  • they need to go bust to recover from that, its an impossible recovery without admin
  • they need to go bust to recover from that, its an impossible recovery without admin

Or promotion.

It isn't an issue as long as the debt stays with the owner and they cut back spending to meet FFP rules.
  • Appalling state of affairs. So am I right in thinking that the parachute payments they received just about covered their costs - players on big contracts etc? Although these payments next season will rise dramatically players and their agents will know this and will just hold out for bigger deals.

Should we expect a Bolton fire sale in January to shed some of their wage costs?
  • .... and they have a nightmarish FFP problem. Could be relegation candidates next season if not this.
  • ironic isnt it that the prime motive for lennie and freedman going there was more money !

• Maybe we could buy sordell!!!

Can't see any other solution. What a sad state of affairs that the possiblilty of relegation from the Prem means the very existence of your club is put into jeopardy. Or that you spend very little, keep a predominantly Championship level squad if you go up with the probability of relegation not really impacting upon your finances too much.
  • Sponsored links:

• we could get sordell for feck all!!!

Maybe we could buy sordell!!!

• edited December 2013
    They were an established premiership club like us and Coventry. It highlights how broken the game currently is due to a wealth disaprity between the Premiership and everywhere else. I think it has reached the point where the risks are too great for a mid sized club without mega rich owners to try to push on to a higher level in that league.
  • They were an established premiership club like us and Coventry. It highlights how broken the game currently is due to a wealth disaprity between the Premiership and everywhere else. I
    think it has reached the point where the risks are too great for a mid sized club without mega rich owners to try to push on to a higher level in that league.

having said that Boltons exposure to debt was very high even when they were in the premiership ..

• But in the premiership it was sustainable. The problem in football - one catastrophic incident like relegation can now ruin a club for 10 years, even longer!
  • Bolton were losing £20m a year in the Premier league with a turnover of nearly £60m.

They've been run irresponsibly for years - all made possible because they've been bankrolled by Eddie Davies.

Their current wage bill is £32.7m and that's the lowest it's been since 2007. Crazy.

• They were an established premiership club like us and Coventry. It highlights how broken the game currently is due to a wealth disaprity between the Premiership and everywhere else. I think it has reached the point where the risks are too great for a mid sized club without mega rich owners to try to push on to a higher level in that league.

But isn't it also the case that most clubs now can't even afford to just stay in the championship as their losing millions just trying to stay there? Ridiculous state of affairs.

But it doesn't matter. The Premier league is the best in the world and sky have been fantastic for football.
  • Sacking Coyle and appointing Freedman cost them 60% of their annual gate receipts...
  • DRAddick said:

They were an established premiership club like us and Coventry. It highlights how broken the game currently is due to a wealth disaprity between the Premiership and everywhere else. I think it has reached the point where the risks are too great for a mid sized club without mega rich owners to try to push on to a higher level in that league.

But isn't it also the case that most clubs now can't even afford to just stay in the championship as their losing millions just trying to stay there? Ridiculous state of affairs.

But it doesn't matter. The Premier league is the best in the world and sky have been fantastic for football.
    True FFP is essential isn't it?
  • Wonder what debts QPR will have if they Miss out?
  • promotion wont fix that henners, going up increases the cost of players wages and match day outgoings, yes sponsorship tv money and add ons go up but it wont reduce that debt unless it was all pumped into doing so

Bolton don't go up this year - ten looming
  • Sponsored links:

• Sacking Coyle and appointing Freedman cost them 60% of their annual gate receipts...

'kinell. :/

• I'd give money to Bolton to keep Sordell!!!!!
  • If you don't breakeven in the PL, and are not a Top 6 side, then it's a recipe for future disaster, as at least half of the PL should expect to be relegated in the next 10 years, if not sooner. And if you're making losses in the PL, the losses you make when relegated will be horrendous
  • just wonder when this madness merry-go-round will hit the buffers ?? One day Sky will stop putting in their ££££ and then what ???
  • just wonder when this madness merry-go-round will hit the buffers ?? One day Sky will stop putting in their ££££ and then what ???

All us Football League sides can have a giggle when that happens.
  • At least we're paying his wages to sit on our bench and not theirs!
  • When Sky stop putting their money in we mght have a chance of getting our game back - but i doubt it - somebody else will replace them.
  • If you don't breakeven in the PL, and are not a Top 6 side, then it's a recipe for future disaster, as at least half of the PL should expect to be relegated in the next 10 years, if not sooner. And if you're making losses in the PL, the losses you make when relegated will be horrendous

This is what gets me about it. I know they've recorded horrific financial figures for this last year but even so, all those years in the PL and look where it's got them.....

• Quite a scathing read: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/31/bolton-wanderers-debt-increase

In the haemorrhaging of £50.7m over 12 months Wanderers become a member of the club no one wants to join by being the fifth to lose £50m-plus in a year.

Manchester City, who have done it four times, Chelsea (seven), Liverpool and Aston Villa (once each) are all entities with far greater finances and revenue streams than Bolton. To place the £163.8m owed in further perspective, only Chelsea, Manchester United and Fulham have more debt from the most recent available figures.

If they go into administration, as they likely will, that is a staggering amount to write off.
  • I see they chose to show a picture of the Bolton v Charlton game to emphasise the empty seats at the stadium!