Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Powell wants funds to strengthen.

Doubt the deal will go by the transfer window.
Charlton boss Chris Powell is hoping he will be given cash to improve his team's lot after seeing them draw 1-1 with Sky Bet Championship rivals Sheffield Wednesday.

It was a hard-fought point for Charlton, who confirmed prior to the game they are in takeover talks with Roaland Duchatelet, a Belgian businessman.

Powell explained: "The club are looking to push it over the line.

"Once it all goes through, if it does then, a new pitch will be the third thing I will ask about.

"The first will be tie up these players who have six months on their contact. I want to find out about the players' future - they deserve that.

"Then it will be about my staff and myself and also about the club because the fans need to know where we are going. Ultimately it is the fans' club but we need investment.

"It is my job to galvanise and gee up players who were at League One level.

"I want to push this club on and to do that we need to improve the squad.

"We are battling away as much as we can and that has brought us 23 points from 23 games - but we want that to be better."

"It's an ideal time - but until I have had discussions it is all conjecture."

The Addicks went ahead three minutes after the break through Dale Stephens, but were pegged back just before the hour by Connor Wickham.

Wednesday remain in the bottom three despite getting a draw at Charlton and impressing once more under caretaker manager Stuart Gray.

Gray is hoping to keep Wickham on loan from Sunderland and said: "They are happy for him to stay and play. The problem is you are only a phone call away from losing him.

"The board are in dialogue with Sunderland about keeping him.

"Connor wants to stay, he wants to play week in, week out. But who is to say someone won't come in with a big offer for him?"

Wednesday came close to an opening the scoring on the half hour when Roger Johnson hit a lopping volley onto the crossbar and Gray feels they deserved all three points.

He said: "We adapted better to the conditions and dominated from start to finish.

"We became a charity club by giving away a goal. But in fairness to the players they stuck at it and got the equaliser.

"I'm disappointed we only got one point because we deserved three.

"We had decided to flood the midfield, which we did - and it worked."

Comments

• Need money to strengthen ? .. A touch of the bleedin obvious .. us and every other club under the sun