Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Trials and tribulations of a footballing genius

edited March 2007 in General Charlton
Comes as no suprise to see Maradona in hospital again, this time for excessive eating, drinking and cigars. You know full well he is going to spiral from one problem to another. Gazza may be on the other side of the world to him, but they mirror each others trauma's uncannily. George Best has already paid the ultimate price for he is inability to live a clean living life.

So what is it that so commonly affects the mentality of the most naturally gifted footballers, that is so rarely repeated in the most talented individuals of other sports ?

Comments

• Unfortunately, AFKA, being good at sports does not mean that you have a brain or any self control. These guys just believe their own publicity and then get dragged into the wrong life style by all the hangers on that they attract.
  • edited March 2007
    You could find similar examples in american sport where sportsmen are highly paid, highly praised and excused are made for their behaviour "because they are winners".

Which reminds me Freddy Flintoff - Good lad when drunk at downing st after big win, bad guy when drunk on losing tour
  • too much money = beer, drugs, woman
  • [cite]Posted By: carlingaddick[/cite]too much money = beer, drugs, woman

Sounds like the Life to lead..!
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: carlingaddick[/cite]too much money = beer, drugs, woman

Sounds like the Life to lead..!

im trying to mate!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: carlingaddick[/cite]too much money = beer, drugs, woman
    Just the one woman Carling?? Surely you mean WOMEN!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: carlingaddick[/cite]too much money = beer, drugs, woman
    Just the one woman Carling?? Surely you mean WOMEN!!

whoops.. mis-spelt!
  • edited March 2007
    IMO this "troubled genius" tag is not restricted to sports.

Look at the vast majority of actors, artists, writers, comedians etc that stood / stand head and shoulders above their peers in terms of being innovative and if you dig deep enough there is a dark / troubled side to their personality
  • [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]IMO this "troubled genius" tag is not restricted to sports.

Look at the vast majority of actors, artists, actors, writers, comedians etc that stood / stand head and shoulders above their peers in terms of being innovative and if you dig deep enough there is a dark / troubled side to their personality

Dead right Dan, i give you Oliver Reed!
  • Hang on..............maybe its just blokes called Oliver
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Comes as no suprise to see Maradona in hospital again, this time for excessive eating, drinking and cigars. You know full well he is going to spiral from one problem to another. Gazza may be on the other side of the world to him, but they mirror each others trauma's uncannily. George Best has already paid the ultimate price for he is inability to live a clean living life.

So what is it that so commonly affects the mentality of the most naturally gifted footballers, that is so rarely repeated in the most talented individuals of other sports ?

I am trying to see if the reverse is true. By taking loads of drugs, drinking myself stupid and shagging around I hope to become a fantastic footballer.
  • [cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Comes as no suprise to see Maradona in hospital again, this time for excessive eating, drinking and cigars. You know full well he is going to spiral from one problem to another. Gazza may be on the other side of the world to him, but they mirror each others trauma's uncannily. George Best has already paid the ultimate price for he is inability to live a clean living life.

I am trying to see if the reverse is true. By taking loads of drugs, drinking myself stupid and shagging around I hope to become a fantastic footballer.

Just think Kets - If only you'd been any good with the treacles you could have been turning out for Charlton ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]IMO this "troubled genius" tag is not restricted to sports.

Look at the vast majority of actors, artists, writers, comedians etc that stood / stand head and shoulders above their peers in terms of being innovative and if you dig deep enough there is a dark / troubled side to their personality

Very true CD, sometimes the price of acheiving the peek of your chosen field is a little too high- even yesterday's Standard's headline was the regarding the Underground chief's battle with the bottle.

Back to the original subject though, it's very sad and unfortunately, i think you are right about Gazza following in his footsteps too- hope i'm wrong though! :-(
  • Hate to say it but my late Grandfather took one look at Gascoigne after the 1990 World Cup and said that "he'll be lucky to make it to 50."

At this stage you'd have to say he'll be lucky to get that far.
  • [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Comes as no suprise to see Maradona in hospital again, this time for excessive eating, drinking and cigars. You know full well he is going to spiral from one problem to another. Gazza may be on the other side of the world to him, but they mirror each others trauma's uncannily. George Best has already paid the ultimate price for he is inability to live a clean living life.

Just think Kets - If only you'd been any good with the treacles you could have been turning out for Charlton ;-)

Two out of three aint bad...!