Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Last night's meeting with Reg

2»

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]Yeah, the poet thing was a bit odd, wasn't it?

Especially the way he threw the books in the middle of the floor. :-0

My overiding impression was to be reminded that, although of course it is a business, the people running it are still fans.

Good to put more faces to opinions as well!
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]No Riscardo or anyone from NA which was a shame. They were invited. No one from Addickted either even though they had accepted the invite.

It was +1 hence the numbers.

No one invited me ...!!!!! This is the first I've heard of it. But I've lapsed on the blog over the last few months anyway ... it must be due in part to my up coming 27th ....
  • Clickety clique!

Steady on there lads, this thread is in danger of turning into a mutual monkey spanking session!
  • [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]
    No one invited me ...!!!!! This is the first I've heard of it. But I've lapsed on the blog over the last few months anyway ... it must be due in part to my up coming 27th ....

You were down on the list of invitees that we drew up. Sorry if the invite didn't reach you.
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]sounds like the whispers going around earlier in the week were correct.

At the end of this season, the club will be taking control of all all the non-official sites for next season, creating a new unofficial 'fan site' called Charlton United, run by the clubs marketing dept and press office.

You are joking, aren't you?

Aren't you?
  • ha, of course.

it was nothing more than an informal gathering, a chance to put a few faces to names. Only thing related to the internet that Reg referred to was in relation to image rights and potential problems of people using the charlton brand commercially, but that is all common sense really. The rest of it was just a general chat like a normal Q+A thing.

I think in general the club realise that independance is inevitable, necessary, that sites such as this perform a function and are largely beneficial to the club, and have a pretty relaxed approach to it.
  • So how about the Flagpoles and Bottled Beer AFKA? Did you mentiond the Bexleyheath shop too?
  • no really, what did he say???
  • Flags and B/H shop wasn't raised by anyone.

Club were all set to go with bottled beer but there was a problem with the beer supplier so not happening right now. Thanks for reminding me to chase this up.
  • If this relationship continues would there be a possibility of a bloggers day type event at the training ground allowing the sites to interview a player or two, that sort of thing?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]If this relationship continues would there be a possibility of a bloggers day type event at the training ground allowing the sites to interview a player or two, that sort of thing?

I think people are possibly reading too much individual stuff into what was talked about- I think Ben and Dave were keen to get the Bloggers and Peter together as a communication building thing. Rest assured that i am sure this sort of stuff may be/ have been discussed, but possibly not in such a open arena.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Club were all set to go with bottled beer but there was a problem with the beer supplier so not happening right now. Thanks for reminding me to chase this up.

Tsk. What's the beer supplier's problem?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Club were all set to go with bottled beer but there was a problem with the beer supplier so not happening right now. Thanks for reminding me to chase this up.[/quote]

Tsk. What's the beer supplier's problem?[/quote]

Don't know the details. I need to chase it up.
  • Could you ask if we could name the South Stand something as well Henry?

Sounds so boring just having points on the compass as stand names.
  • edited March 2007
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Could you ask if we could name the South Stand something as well Henry?

Sounds so boring just having points on the compass as stand names.[/quote]

WSS, I know you are young but it's a shame that you don't know the club's history.

Actually the away end doesn't have that name because of the compass point. It is named after Charlton's pre-world war one goalkeeper. He was a regular in those pre-league and professional days and worked at Sieman's Engineering Works in Charlton. He lost a foot in an incident at the factory but as football was a less mobile game in those days just switched from left back to keeper.

In 1915 he joined the Royal Engineers and fought on the western front. He his sight in a gas attack at Passchendaele in 1917 but despite this continued to play in goal when the club reformed in 1919. He always said he could smell the leather ball coming towards he. He was still in the squad when the club joined the league in 1921 but never made a league appearance. He became groundsman at the Valley until he lost an arm in an accident with the motor roller.

He continued to be active and was a keen mountain climber until he lost his life in a fall in the Italian Alps in 1928. The clubs first promotion in 1929 was dedicated to him by the players.

When I was lucky enough to have a son I of course named him after this great Charlton player.

WSS and you all you others, please don't disrespect the memory of one of our true heroes, Joe South.