Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Driving Lessons / Pass Plus is it Really worth it?

Hi there my sons currently doing driving lessons at the moment , and i know its how long is a piece of string, but i just wondered how many lessons Lifers took before putting in for their first test , and whether anyone had taken the pass plus , and does it make a lot of difference to your car insurance, or is it more for road awareness / safety?

Many Thanks

MIA

Comments

• Options
    15 lessons and a few hours a week with the old dear saw me through pretty quickly. Didnt do pass plus.
  • Options
    i had 21 hours worth of lessons, no pass plus and i passed first time.my insurance has gone down in four years but its still a rip off and im 22 with nearly 4 years no claims,scout around for insurance ,sometimes if you quote prices to other companies they will beat offers aswel
  • Options
    I did the pass plus as soon as I passed my test. Which was now 9 years ago.
    I got 40% off my insurance for having it but I think they have scaled that right back now.
    Ring around some insurance companies asking what they give. Norwich Union was the best when I did it
  • Options
    The cost of insurance is a factor for inexperienced drivers who are more likely to be involved in a Road Traffic accident. For This reason Insurance Premiums are increased significantly for newly qualified Drivers. I would Suggest that the pass plus would be a good idea and as mentioned Ring round the companies and ask for a quote and mention taking the pass plus.
  • Options
    Have a look at the IAM - double benefits - skills AND insurance!.
    http://www.iam.org.uk/
  • Options
    Lost count on the number of lessons I had and passed on my fifth go. Truly believe there is nothing better than experience to improve ones driving.

I think in some country's (Sweden being one) you have to have done a certain amount of hours before you can take your test and an amount of those have to be in the dark.
  • Options
    Made about £20 difference to my boys premium.
  • Options
    When my son took his test I was told by my insurance broker that the pass plus only makes a difference on your first year's insurance.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

When my son took his test I was told by my insurance broker that the pass plus only makes a difference on your first year's insurance.

Yep £20 out of a £1900 premium. But any extra training is no bad thing.

• Options
    Best looked upon as something extra that will help with Motorway Driving, Dual Carriageways, driving at night and all weather conditions. The extra tuition is to help improve driving skills and how to drive more safely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Saga Lout said:

Yep £20 out of a £1900 premium. But any extra training is no bad thing.

It does help as it gives you motorway experience with an instructor.
    When I did it, my insurance dropped from £1100 to £650ish.

BUT it looks as though it may have changed alot in the last 9 years
  • Options
    That's another thing as well , the fact that no one drives on a motorway until after their test , utter madness.

Also as a van driver I find that when driving my car I use all three mirrors but a lot of people that drive cars only have that terrible habbit of looking over their shoulder whilst doing 70 on the motorway rather than use the wing mirror.
  • Options
    Pass plus is a brilliant thing. I did mine 7 years ago when I first passed my test, and it taught me a lot about motorway driving. It should be compulsory imo, as should the going on a skid pan.

All driving lessons do are teach you how to pass a test, not how to drive a car properly.
  • Options
    When I did my learning in Sidcup so many years ago all the instructors recommended using the Swanley bypass to familiarise learners with motorway conditions which was a good idea.
    Anyway, to answer the question 6 lessons, passed first time.
    Anyone who fails more than three tests clearly can't hack it and should have their licence taken away.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

When I did my learning in Sidcup so many years ago all the instructors recommended using the Swanley bypass to familiarise learners with motorway conditions which was a good idea.
    Anyway, to answer the question 6 lessons, passed first time.
    Anyone who fails more than three tests clearly can't hack it and should have their licence taken away.

Ha ha , I'd have agreed in the past but I reckon I'm a better driver for not passing until my fifth go. On my third I did everything right and was about 200 yards from the test centre and clipped a kerb and got done for a serious error.

When I finally passed the examiner said to me as we pulled up in a very stern voice "I'm sorry to have to tell you but.............you won't be seeing your instructor again as you've passed" . Git. :)

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Never had pass plus 45 years ago :0) taught by my old man, managed to get through on the first attempt with a backhanded 'you've passed but don't wait too long before proceeding at a crossroads' compliment from the examiner. When I told my Dad he said 'Don't worry about that, better to be safe than sorry anyway, I'll teach you how to drive properly now you've got your licence' with a wry smile on his face.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for all your tips and advice , its good to hear from people that have done it , i have no idea how much its costs but if it teaches him stuff like motorway driving , road safety then it can only be a good thing , i passed my test 27 years ago after 28 lessons , my sons instructor at the moment thinks he needs 40 , i don't know if he's milking it or whether because you have too do 2 tests now 40 is about the right amount?

I wish i'd done something like pass plus when i passed by the sounds of it as i totalled my car in the first 2 years , even though i passed my test first time , didn't mean i was a good driver.
  • Options
    I passed first time with no faults, did the pass plus and skid pan and still wrote off 3 cars in 3 years.