Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• wtf (a) two hoovers in 12 months
    wtf (b) baby already?
  • He comes across well in that - he's got a sense of how lucky he is and was ready to move just to play. Hope he makes it to Brazil
  • Makes our last few years and relegation to league 1 even more bitter. Could have been a Charlton legend if only he was born a few years earlier.
  • Great interview. And it is amazing that he is still only 21!
  • Yeh great interview... Really got a sensible head on his shoulders

Cant believe the problems he had with buying a hoover in Comet though, although saying that had he put on Twitter that he'd brought a hoover from the most expensive shop he'd have got slated there too
  • A few lifers played in a CL match alongside his brother George who he mentions in that interview.

Was a good player indeed. His uncle wasn't though - kept getting caught offside.
  • Yeh great interview... Really got a sensible head on his shoulders

Cant believe the problems he had with buying a hoover in Comet though, although saying that had he put on Twitter that he'd brought a hoover from the most expensive shop he'd have got slated there too

In fairness, football fans seemed to get offended at absolutely everything that footballers do outside their job. Even if it is just shopping for a hoover!
  • George could've played for us too

• Great interview, seems a really top bloke.
  • Sponsored links:

• WSS said:

A few lifers played in a CL match alongside his brother George who he mentions in that interview.

Was a good player indeed. His uncle wasn't though - kept getting caught offside.

The Lino was a cheat!!!!!
  • rananegra said:

He comes across well in that - he's got a sense of how lucky he is and was ready to move just to play. Hope he makes it to Brazil

Really!? He has no chance of going to Brazil! Saw him at Norwich last week and he was, well, very ordinary and that was against Norwich! Sadly, there are plenty or others ahead of him in the pecking order for Brazil.

• rananegra said:

He comes across well in that - he's got a sense of how lucky he is and was ready to move just to play. Hope he makes it to Brazil

Really!? He has no chance of going to Brazil! Saw him at Norwich last week and he was, well, very ordinary and that was against Norwich! Sadly, there are plenty or others ahead of him in the pecking order for Brazil.

His display against Man City in the first half was top class and he completely dominated the game against Newcastle. I would say he's not far off and is twice the player Cleverly is...
  • rananegra said:

No chance? Do you fancy a little £50 charity bet if you are so sure?
  • rananegra said:

His display against Man City in the first half was top class and he completely dominated the game against Newcastle. I would say he's not far off and is twice the player Cleverly is...
    This. When he plays well, Swansea play well.
  • edited December 2013
    Shelvey would have to be close to the World Cup squad, sadly I fear he will fall victim to "Big Club Syndrome" and lose out to the likes of Cleverley.

Should be given a chance in the friendlies, we desperately need more attacking punch and ball retention in midfield and he gives both.
  • I think Brazil has come a year too early for him and also Hodgson is not likely to take a punt in that position. There is potential that the Brazil tournament will be an England fiasco, so it would not be a bad thing for Jonjo to miss it.
  • Kap10 said:

I think Brazil has come a year too early for him and also Hodgson is not likely to take a punt in that position. There is potential that the Brazil tournament will be an England fiasco, so it would not be a bad thing for Jonjo to miss it.

Potential? I think it will be an unmitigated disaster.
  • Shelvey is too young, it'll be like Walcott in 2006.

Build him up over the next two years with the qualification games and friendlies. Plus we do have a fair few centre mids at the moment. Especially attacking wise.

Build him up over the next two years with the qualification games and friendlies. Plus we do have a fair few centre mids at the moment. Especially attacking wise.

Not really the same. Walcott was 17 in 2006 and had never played for Arsenal. Shelvey is 21 and has made over 60 premier league appearance. If he was still at Liverpool he might have stood a chance .
  • Sponsored links:

Not really the same. Walcott was 17 in 2006 and had never played for Arsenal. Shelvey is 21 and has made over 60 premier league appearance. If he was still at Liverpool he might have stood a chance .
    Not really saying that he's not more deserving than Walcott was. More that he'd be stuck in that 5th choice position behind Lampard/Gerrard/Carrick/Wilshere.

Plus with Henderson, Lallana, Barkley all making strong claims, the centre midfield position is very tough.
    Don't ruin his confidence by making him sit on the bench all tournament, let him play in a few friendlies and build him up in the team. Rather than throwing him in the deep end ahead of other (possibly more deserving) players.
  • Kap10 said:

I think Brazil has come a year too early for him and also Hodgson is not likely to take a punt in that position. There is potential that the Brazil tournament will be an England fiasco, so it would not be a bad thing for Jonjo to miss it.

That depends on your expectations.
  • Kap10 said:

I have none.

If he was still at Liverpool he'd be warming the bench so he'd have absolutely no chance.
  • Think he comes across very well in that interview. Am pleased he's going about his career the right way, makes me proud to say he played for Charlton.
  • Kap10 said:

I have none.

Then you won't be disappointed!
  • Kap10 said:

I have none.

True, but everyone else will be.
  • Kap10 said:

I have none.

True, but everyone else will be.
    Sadly, yes, you are right.

The Sun and the rest will pump up our tires with all the usual bullshit and convince the easily led that we "have a great chance" and then slag everyone off when we fail yet again.

I think we will do well to get four points in the group, best I can see is 5 points with a win against Costa Rica and draws with Uruguay and Italy.

We are nowhere near the best sides so just getting out of the group would be an achievement.

Not sure of the draw but a Brazil - Spain final would be a cracker.

• Something about Shelvey i just love... maybe the aggression? To be fair he can be top player but i imagine the World Cup is too soon.