Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Crazy Cardiff - owner v manager

Err. Any bets on Malky McKay leaving soon? From sky sports:

Cardiff boss Malky Mackay's hopes of having some transfer funds to spend in January have been well and truly dashed.
Mackay said after Saturday's 1-0 win over West Brom that he would love to bring in three more players next month and would be speaking to owner Vincent Tan about his plans.
But chief executive Simon Lim released a statement on Monday criticising Mackay for his comments over the weekend and bringing the tempestuous relationship between the manager and Tan back into the spotlight.
The Scotsman was upset earlier this season when head of recruitment Iain Moody - now with rivals Crystal Palace - was replaced by young Kazakh Alisher Apsalyamov, and he has now been told he will have 'not a single penny' allocated for transfers.
He has been accused of over-spending in the summer when sizeable fees went on Kevin Theophile-Catherine, Steven Caulker, Andreas Cornelius and Gary Medel.
"Tan Sri Vincent Tan was extremely upset to read quotes from the manager concerning the possibility of new recruits, before he had been informed whether funds would be made available," Lim said.
"He believes that doing so unfairly raises supporter expectations, placing unnecessary pressure on the club.
"His view is that due to the funds already committed, including the originally authorised summer transfer budget of £35m that rose to £50m in total, including add-ons, the manager has been fully supported.
"The overspending of £15m has upset Tan Sri greatly, resulting in the removal on Iain Moody as head of recruitment. As such, he has stated that not a single penny will be made available in January.
"Having been the highest-spending promoted club and the seventh-highest spender in the Premier League last summer, the owner believes that the manager has been given the best possible chance of retaining our Premier League status."

So that's his card marked then!

Comments

• Football really is going crazy. McKay done a great job in getting them up and the way he is/has been treated is nothing short of appalling.
  • edited December 2013
    If the numbers stated above are correct - I can't see the problem. At least the fans know what's what.
  • Exactly , how much does he want
    Still he goes they go down and one less place for Palace to fall thru the trapdoor :-(
  • Mackay is an excellent manager. I reckon he'll be back at Watford soon.
  • Mackay is an excellent manager. I reckon he'll be back at Watford soon.

No chance, more likely if West Ham get rid of Allardyce he will be there.
  • edited December 2013
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/19/brendan-rodgers-blasts-vincent-tan-cardiff-city-owner

This from earlier today was big news but it's just been trumped by this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25457024

What a basket case. Looks like they're going to get rid of him any which way they can and for that I hope they get relegated.

"Cardiff City manager Malky Mackay has been told by owner Vincent Tan to resign or he will be sacked.
    In a letter emailed to Mackay on Monday, it is understood Tan listed in depth his grievances with the Scot.
    Tan criticised 41-year-old Mackay at length in a range of areas, such as signings, transfer budgets, results on the pitch and style of play.
    The Malaysian businessman also questioned the former Watford manager's record as a boss.
    Mackay has previously said he will not resign.
    A Cardiff spokesman told BBC Sport: "The club is not party to any letter sent from one person to another."
    The correspondence came on the same day the Malaysian businessman issued a statement through Cardiff chief executive Simon Lim criticising Mackay.
    Tan said he was "extremely upset" after Mackay revealed he was hoping to recruit three new players in the January transfer window.
    The ex-Scotland international, who was named Cardiff boss in June 2011, led the Welsh club to promotion from the Championship seven months ago, but his future became uncertain when head of recruitment, Iain Moody, was removed from his position in October.
    Tan's concerns surrounds a perceived overspend of the transfer budget agreed between Mackay, Lim and Moody.
    Cardiff broke their transfer record three times over the summer, signing striker Andreas Cornelius for £7.5m, defender Steven Caulker for £8m and then midfielder Gary Medel for £11m.
    The owner claims the total budget was £35m and that £50m was spent including add-ons.
    Mackay and Moody have denied those claims, insisting the £35m was solely for transfer fees and that Lim and Tan had no complaints about that rising with add-ons."
  • Palace are gonna get out of it, I can see it coming already. Lucky f#@kers, luckiest ever promotion last season and now everything's falling into place for a great escape this season. Sickening.

Not sad to see Cardiff suffer though. Sold their soul with minimal resistance when Tan came in.
  • Mackay will walk into another Premier League job,
  • http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/19/brendan-rodgers-blasts-vincent-tan-cardiff-city-owner

This from earlier today was big news but it's just been trumped by this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25457024

What a basket case. Looks like they're going to get rid of him any which way they can and for that I hope they get relegated.

"Cardiff City manager Malky Mackay has been told by owner Vincent Tan to resign or he will be sacked.
    In a letter emailed to Mackay on Monday, it is understood Tan listed in depth his grievances with the Scot.
    Tan criticised 41-year-old Mackay at length in a range of areas, such as signings, transfer budgets, results on the pitch and style of play.
    The Malaysian businessman also questioned the former Watford manager's record as a boss.
    Mackay has previously said he will not resign.
    A Cardiff spokesman told BBC Sport: "The club is not party to any letter sent from one person to another."
    The correspondence came on the same day the Malaysian businessman issued a statement through Cardiff chief executive Simon Lim criticising Mackay.
    Tan said he was "extremely upset" after Mackay revealed he was hoping to recruit three new players in the January transfer window.
    The ex-Scotland international, who was named Cardiff boss in June 2011, led the Welsh club to promotion from the Championship seven months ago, but his future became uncertain when head of recruitment, Iain Moody, was removed from his position in October.
    Tan's concerns surrounds a perceived overspend of the transfer budget agreed between Mackay, Lim and Moody.
    Cardiff broke their transfer record three times over the summer, signing striker Andreas Cornelius for £7.5m, defender Steven Caulker for £8m and then midfielder Gary Medel for £11m.
    The owner claims the total budget was £35m and that £50m was spent including add-ons.
    Mackay and Moody have denied those claims, insisting the £35m was solely for transfer fees and that Lim and Tan had no complaints about that rising with add-ons."

Hoping they get relegated because of what their mad owner is doing is pretty harsh on the fans Callum.

• Basically, this is just him looking to avoid paying his contract up. The bloke is just as bent as Carson Yeung - he'll be looking to use the club to clean his cash.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nothing at all against the fans. I just hope Tan fails miserably or it sets a dangerous precedent for crackpot owners.
  • Mackay to WBA
  • BIG_ROB said:

Mackay to WBA

Definitely... Bet West Brom are holding fire looking for anyone for a few days to see how that pans out
  • It's like a soap opera these days in the PL.
  • Makes TJ seem ultra reasonable. Just wish he was minted and gave a toss about us fans.
  • While I don't wish ill on the fans of Cardiff, a large portion of them seemed happy to let Tan walk all over their club's history and identity in the hope it would lead to the Premier League. You can't say they weren't warned of his character.
  • This could be us, that's what is so scary.

We know TJ wants his money back, we know he does not have an affinity with the club, so he could sell to anyone. RM said he would sell to people who had the best interests of Charlton at heart and look how that turned out. TJ isn't likely to try that....

This could be us.
  • While I don't wish ill on the fans of Cardiff, a large portion of them seemed happy to let Tan walk all over their club's history and identity in the hope it would lead to the Premier League. You can't say they weren't warned of his character.

Spot on.

Spot on.
    They had little choice. The club was in serious debt and VT piled in a load of money to bail them out. Changing the colour of the kit and the badge is acceptable when the alternative is no club at all.
  • Been issued an ultimatum reportedly - resign or be sacked. Miserable stuff
  • Sponsored links:

• He'll wait till Houghton gets the sack and go back to Norwich
  • The way he has been treated there is absolutely shocking. Compared to their owner, TJ indeed suddenly looks much better.....
    Davo55 said:

Makes TJ seem ultra reasonable. Just wish he was minted and gave a toss about us fans.

• MrLargo said:

Palace are gonna get out of it, I can see it coming already. Lucky f#@kers, luckiest ever promotion last season and now everything's falling into place for a great escape this season. Sickening.

Not sad to see Cardiff suffer though. Sold their soul with minimal resistance when Tan came in.

I really hope you're wrong about Palace staying up. I just can't see them not being one of the three worst teams come May though...
  • Also, rather than celebrating promotion in April a lot of their fans instead preferred to goad us after the whistle. Sod 'em.
  • MrLargo said:

Palace are gonna get out of it, I can see it coming already. Lucky f#@kers, luckiest ever promotion last season and now everything's falling into place for a great escape this season. Sickening.

I really hope you're wrong about Palace staying up. I just can't see them not being one of the three worst teams come May though...
    I think they have got the right man to give them a chance of scrambling out of trouble. If anyone can grid out 1-0 wins, it is Pulis. They play Newcastle at home and Villa away in their next two games - it will be interesting to see how they do
  • edited December 2013
    MrLargo said:

They're gonna/maybe stay up and the sad thing is they're becoming the biggest club (support wise) in South London in the process ..... They'll have bigger gates than us next season even if we're both in the championship ........ Sad times ....when will we next finish above the stripey ones ffs
  • edited December 2013

• RedPanda said:

Also, rather than celebrating promotion in April a lot of their fans instead preferred to goad us after the whistle. Sod 'em.

Well I can only remember the joyous Taffs coming up and shaking our hands and wishing us luck this season.

No animosity there whatsoever.

• RedPanda said:

Also, rather than celebrating promotion in April a lot of their fans instead preferred to goad us after the whistle. Sod 'em.

Lol. Because none of us goaded them when we sent them down a few years ago...
  • I wonder if Malky isn't playing the media a bit here. He's got himself into a nice no-lose situation. Evil, crazy foreign owner against poor British manager. Suspect the dialogue between them is in the dirt, but his outburst about needing investment, without a clearing it with his boss, is badly thought out. Although football is a hirem firem business it's one in which the former option generally comes with a pot of gold. Tan probably lives in a world where if an employee did something to severely embarass his organisation his feet wouldn't touch the ground. Will be interested to see who Cardiff would miss more in the long run.