Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old team photos of Alan Sanford, Dickie Guy, Terry Nelson & others ....

13»

Comments

• Options

Just picked this up as I am a new member,I played against beaumont,about 50 years ago,in I believe div 6 Metropolitan sunday league,they where far too good for that dividsion.I played with alan Sanford for a club called Whitworth,a year or two later,what a good player,but alas a shade temperemental,often taking early baths. saw alan about 2 years ago,not in the best of health,but still great company

Hello and thanks for your comments. Now you mention it I do remember the name Whitworth as one of the clubs we played against. Beaumont was a new club (formed from Greenwich Town Athletic Colts) so had to start in the bottom division. Sad to hear Alan is not too well; I wish him all the best.
  • Options
    Here is a photo of a photo of some of the Greenwich Town Athletic players. Adrian Hill paid me a surprise visit on Saturday and gave me these.
    Left to right is: Keith (White??) 2nd IX, next to him is big Harry 'H' Richardson 1st IX, Jimmy Gleason GTA manager, Dave Little 1st IX goalkeeper, Stan Spalding 2nd IX, in front holding glass is Adrian Hill 1st IX, directly behind him is Ronnie Moore junior 2nd/1st IX, head down is myself 1st 1IX, Wally Hill (Adrian's elder brother) 1st IX, behind Wally (hair & forehead) is Wally Peart 1st IX, in front Mickey Arnold 1st IX. This was taken at Adrian's wedding and I was his Best Man. I think these were the only photos taken of some of the GTA players. Happy Days.
  • Options
    Hello Kingy, very sorry for not getting back to you but haven't been on the site for some time. Thanks a lot for posting those photos, everyone looks so young, especially Jim Gleeson. Do you know anything more on what happened to him? I seem to remember his wife was very slim, with brown hair and glasses and they had one child at the time. He was a good artist and once I remember being in his shop and he was sketching cartoon characters of all you players in the first team. Didn't he knickname Dave Little "Gravy Little"?
  • Options

Hello Kingy, very sorry for not getting back to you but haven't been on the site for some time. Thanks a lot for posting those photos, everyone looks so young, especially Jim Gleeson. Do you know anything more on what happened to him? I seem to remember his wife was very slim, with brown hair and glasses and they had one child at the time. He was a good artist and once I remember being in his shop and he was sketching cartoon characters of all you players in the first team. Didn't he knickname Dave Little "Gravy Little"?

peas and gravy - Davey
  • Options
    Last time I saw Jim was in Gravesend. Never got to speak with him though which was a shame. I think that was back in the 90's but unsure of this. Yes, don't know how 'Gravy' knock name came about though. Adrian told me when he was here a couple of weeks ago that he still meets up with John Faulkner at the once a year Sutton Utd annual get together. Adrian's brother Wally is still about now in his 80's. I think Billy Grindley is now living in Spain somewhere. The last time I saw John Faulkner was when he was playing for Luton against Charlton at the Valley. When he was playing with us at GTA we nicknamed him 'porky' because he was so slim. Anyway he came over to take a throw in near the Charlton goal end, me being near the touch line shouted to him you'll never reach 'porky', which literally stopped him in his tracks! To this day he has'nt got a clue who shouted that, but he must have known in was a GTA player. Adrian's going to mention it to him at next get together to see if he recalls that. He also told me that Big Harry 'H' Richardson had died. Last saw Mickey Arnold at his wife's surprise 60th b/day party but have now lost touch with him. Other than that, don't know anything about anyone else who played for GTA.
  • Options
    Thanks for that Al; love your story about John Faulkner at the Valley. I remember playing with Billy Grindley in the Colts; he always reminded me of the Milky Bar Kid. Sad news though about Big "H".
  • Options
    Update to GTA. My mate Adrian Hill came & stayed with us over the weekend, so of course we had a catch up. Sadly John Faulkner is non too well. Mickey Arnold sadly died about 2 yrs ago, went to his sons wedding reception end of August. Did’nt Have any news on anyone else,other than Adrian’s brother Wally, now 81yrs. I mentioned the Beaumont game, which he confirmed was with GTA and he had the feeling it was his brother Wally that gave the bit of verbal, after the game. It was’nt Plum Lane that Beaumont played, not Jack Gillespie, sorry Martyn. But he agreed, that it was a good game to play in. Adrian lives in Sutton and often goes and watches them. Me? I now watch Sheppey Utd in the dizzy heights of the SCEFL on a Saturday, still wishing I was young & fit enough to still be playing.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about John. I was opposition scout at Luton Town, when he was Youth Team Coach and then became Assistant Manager to Jimmy Ryan, Hell of a nice chap and an excellent coach.
  • Options
    Sad news to start off 2018. I’ve just been told that my fellow team mate at Bromley & Greenwich Town Athletic, John Faulkner, tragically passed away on Friday. R.I.P John and sincerest condolences to John’s family. Sorry for posting such sad news, but John was a really nice guy and an excellent footballer and it was a pleasure and honour to have played alongside him.
  • Options
    Kingy said:

Sad news to start off 2018. I’ve just been told that my fellow team mate at Bromley & Greenwich Town Athletic, John Faulkner, tragically passed away on Friday. R.I.P John and sincerest condolences to John’s family. Sorry for posting such sad news, but John was a really nice guy and an excellent footballer and it was a pleasure and honour to have played alongside him.

Sad news. I have good memories of working with John.

I believe they had a minutes applause for him before Luton Town v Lincoln City yesterday. Much deserved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP John.
    Great Nostalgic thread, bringing back several memories of places i frequented as a kid (however, a few years later than the events posted herein).
  • Options
    Shrewsbury Park was (i assume still is?) a beautiful park.
  • Options
    Hi, I’ve just discovered this thread while looking up info on some of the teams my dad Terry played for. It’s great to read some of the nice things people here have said about him and even a mention of my grandad who I remember had a manager of the year trophy from his Greenwich town days.
    With regard to the FA cap that Martyn armitage mentions with such envy I can confirm it was certainly my dad’s most prized possession and luckily I’ve managed to keep hold of it over the years since along with a few other bits and bobs.
    It’d be nice to know that his friends from that time are still doing well and that he passed on to me his love of the game and it’s local history.