Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old team photos of Alan Sanford, Dickie Guy, Terry Nelson & others ....

Comments

• I only played for them for two seasons and am not sure of their origins. A guy called Jack (can't remember his surname) was the 'founder' and sort of Club Chairman. The players ran the coaching side unil Jim Bitterfill took over in about 1970. When I was there we trained in the Plum Lane School Gym one night a week. Henry Florey is another name I remember. Jimmy Ellis was a top quality 'keeper......one of the best I have played with/against at that type of level. The 'big rivalry' in later years (mid 70s) came against Samuel Montagu.......Steve Waite, Steve Ware, Gary Supple et al
  • Just back on the site again after a few months and pleased to see my article still raising some interest. Here's another photo of Plum Lane sent to me by my old Woodhill colleague John Claydon. M_A_T are you in there somewhere?
  • edited July 2014
    No, I'm not in here. Not sure why, as I played the second half of that season. Say Hi to John 'Jugsy' Clayden from me.......he was one hell of a centre forward. Alistair Rhodes
  • M_A_T did out turn out for Dartford?
  • edited July 2014
    Indeed I did. Dartford Southern League and Dartford Amateurs (Tunnel Sports) in the old Kent League.
  • Hello M_A_T, if you played for Tunnel Sports in the late 60's then we probably played against each other in the Senior Section of the Kent Amateur League. I played for BOCM in those days and I well remember what a good side Tunnel Sports were (too good for us). Small world eh?
  • edited July 2014
    Do either of you have any photos?
  • Unfortunately Ralphie there wasn't any photo taken in my 2/3 years with BOCM, even when we won the Senior League Cup (see earlier thread above for details).
  • Any of your other clubs? I have a photo of BOCM winning the Erith Hospital Cup which may possibly have been their last ever game.
  • Would be interested in seeing that one Ralphie and knowing when BOCM folded. When I stopped playing for them Denis Crawford ,ex Erith & Belvedere, was captaining the side. All the team photos I have left are on this article. The Kent Amateur League, Senior Section, wasn't a bad standard with the results published on a Sunday in the News of the World. I believe after I left BOCM, several more ex E&B players joined and they went on to win the league title. I remember us having a minor run in the FA Cup, getting past our first game but then losing to Faversham 4-0 after holding them to a 0-0 draw on our ground at Crabtree Manorway. I was one of the rare ones who actually used to work and play for BOCM. My good mate Terry Nelson, after being released by Millwall, played for E&B in the old Athenian League before moving on to Tooting & Mitchum in the Isthmian League. When Terry was playing for Millwall Colts along with Dicky Guy, they both represented London in a national cup competion where in a two leg final they lost to a strong Leicester side. Terry was awarded a cap similar to an England cap complete with tassel and I was always envious of this!
  • Sponsored links:

• I know they reached the final of the Kent Junior Cup in 1970 losing to Hempstead United who included Derek Hales, Frank Hewitt and Aidan O'Sullivan. (Can't work out how to post a photo).
  • Plum Lane and Greenwich Town Athletic - More Info

I played for Plum Lane 68-71 when we won the Kent Amateur Senior League and Kent Junior Cup. Names of the players I can recall from those days were: Jimmy Ellis (Goalkeeper), Henry Florie & Alan King (me) (Full Backs), John (Bugsy) Butterfield, Dave Palmer (Capt) & Alistair Rhodes (Mid field), Glen Squirrel, Johnny O'Brien, John (Jugsy) Claydon, Alec Fowler & Kenny Weatherstone. Others players of that era were Billy Brown, Jimmy Picton, John Reardon, Ray Barrow, Ronnie Rowe and 2 brothers who travelled from Enfield, North London to play, Barry & Gerry ????. Jack Gillespie was our Manager & he may well have lived in Plum Lane. Our kit was Claret shirts with light Blue sleeves, White shorts & socks. It was Dave Palmer, who I worked with, who persuaded me to leave Bromley and play for Plum Lane. I was at Charlton Boys school with Alec Fowler, where the entire school team were selected to represent Blackheath schools and played Woolwich Schools. The score was 1-0 to Woolwich I think? When we won the Senior League we beat Callenders Athletic (BICC) 1-0 to win the league by one point from them. Dennis Crawford & Brendan Greatorex played for Callenders who were also a really good side. However, I did'nt play in the Kent Cup Final as I was in hospital having my appendix out. But we won the final 5-1 beating Gateway. After the game the lads & Jack brought he cup into the ward where I was at St Alphege Hospital, Greenwich. We did train in a school hall 1 night a week, which usually consisted of 2-3 laps round the school hall to warm up, followed by 3 a-side for rest of evening. when we discussed tactics it was relatively easy. Get the ball to Glen, Jugsy, Alec & Kenny and leave them to score, which certainly worked for us. set plays usually revolved around Johnny (Obi) O'Brien, who would invariably look for Jugsy or Bugsy (quiet tall). Jack one year entered us for the London Senior Cup and unbelievably we reached the 1/4 finals, but lost to a team, Chadwell Heath from Essex. who lost their semi to the eventual winners, who I thought was Kingstonian, but on reflection I'm not sure about that?

I also noticed that another team I played for, Greenwich Town Athletic has been mentioned. This team was managed by Jimmy Gleason who managed AB Sports shops in Woolwich and New Cross. Jim was ably assisted by Ronnie Moore senior, who I think also managed Cray Wanderers at some time. Some of the players that I can recall in this team were: Dave Little (Goalkeeper), Tony Revell & Alan King (Full backs), Adrian Hill & his brother Wally Hill and John Faulkner (Mid field), Les Kemp, Wally Peart, big Harry 'H' Richardson, Peter Cauldwell and Keith Gardiner (Forwards). Junior players I can recall were Ronnie Moore junior, Billy Grindley, Bobby Deadman, Stan ???, Dave (Glassock)??? & Keith ???, all good players in their own right. Big Harry 'H' Richardson I believe also went on to become a Cray Wanderers Manager at sometime. Johnny Faulkner, who Adrian & myself 'poached' from Ravensbury FC and went onto bigger and better things with Sutton Utd, Leeds Utd, Luton Town & Norwich City plus others. It was a privilege to be playing with some really good players in both teams, Plum Lane & Greenwich Town Athletic and having & recalling some really good happy memories of days long since past!!!.
  • Kingy you have really jogged my memory with those names. I also played for Greenwich Town Athletic around your time but I was in the Colts team. We had in that team: Dicky Guy, Terry Nelson, Jeff Godwin (all Millwall colts) and Les Kemp. At the end of a successful season that saw us close runners up to a strong Catford Utd team and in a couple of cup finals, it emerged that Arthur Nelson and Ernie Warboys ,who were in charge of the Colts , were forming a breakaway club called Beaumont Athletic. We were all asked if we wanted to stay with Jimmy Gleason or join the new club; most of us chose to leave. Of course this really p****d off Jimmy who immediately dropped us all from the looming cup finals.
    The senior team you played in really were an exceptional side; my favourite players were Peter Cauldwell and Wally Peart. I seem to remember spending every Saturday morning that season in Jimmy's shop in Woolwich (my home town) where Wally actually worked. We had some right laughs in there and Wally always sold us things on the cheap when Jimmy wasn't around.
    I also have memories of a friendly that was arranged between us (Beaumont) and Plum Lane at , I think, the AB Sports ground in Eltham. We lost, I think 2-0, in a good close game but I remember Jack Gillespie being really nasty about how we thought we were a good team and how did we like losing.
  • AB Sports was the ground my Dad played at for a team called West Kent in the South London Alliance in the 50's
  • Yes, I believe I played in the 2-0 game you mentioned. I also seem to recall the colts leaving for Beaumont. It was the colts Ronnie Moore, Les Kemp, Billy Grindley, Dave Russell (not (Glassock), Bobby Deadman, Stan ??? & Keith ??? Who stayed with us and played the odd game for us. I also forgot to mention Brian Mason & Mickey Arnold. Our team was made up of a few senior amatuer players. Dave Little played in goal for Otford or Oxted. Adrian & myself were with Bromley at the time. I think Peter Cauldwell was a former West Ham colt or was wanted by them. Keith Gardiner was a formew Millwall colt. Tony Revell, Mickey Arnold, Billy Grindley came with me to Edgware Town in the Athenian League. Bobby Deadman was a former Arsenal colt. I think Ronnie Moore was with or went to Cray Wanderers (unsure of this), Brian Mason was with Dartford and I think he also went on to manage them. John Faulkner turned professional. Wally Hill, I think may have also played for Cray Wanderers when he was younger. Harry Richardson went on to manage Cray Wanderers. Yes, we were a reasonably strong team. The only team we had probs with was of course the very strong Valley Celtic team with Ray Hutchins junior & senior, Patsy Meagan & Dennis Sauce, plus a couple of others. We drew 1-1 in the 1st game with them, which totally shocked them. But the next game they beat us 1-0 with a late goal. Very good side though and were the team to beat. When We all started to drift away from Greenwich Town, I went with Wally Peart & a couple of others to a team called Clydesdale, who played ar Sutcliffe Park, with quite a few spectators coming to watch us play. Wally Peart & Peter Cauldwell has exceptional ball skills, so I canunderstand why they drew your eye. Am still in touch (Christmas card list) with a couple of the Plum Lane lads & a couple of the Greenwich Town lads. Out of interest what is your name & Man_About_Town name?...or is it not prudent to say! Alan Sanford also went to Charlton Boys, but was in the year below Alec Fowler & myself. But that year also had a strong school team as well. As far as I can recall the game with Beaumont was quite a good game & it certainly stretched us, even though we came out on top. Happy Days!!!
  • Addick 1965.
    West Kent Wanderers were in the South London Alliance league & as I recall it were a were useful side. When I was 15-17 yrs I was playing for my dads works team Johnson & Phillips & we played in the London Business Houses League. But our reserves played in the Sth London Alliance. I also think Blackheath Wanderers played in this leauge as well, who big Harry 'H' Richardson played for, along with twins Roger & Chris Berry. They, myself & a few others I mentioned all played for Brookmill Boys Club when we 14-16yrs. Gee this is all stirring up some great memories!!! Ask me what I did yesterday? and I have'nt got a clue!!!! Lol... Old age!!!
  • Yep Johnson & Phillips,Blackheath Wanderers,Unilever,Molins,Lessa,RACS,Standard Telephones,Old Roan,Greenwich(Woolwich) Borough,Brockley,Wilmington,Farnborough OBG to name a few of teams.
  • Kingy my name is Martyn Armitage and I would be a year younger than you as Alec Fowler and Ray Hutchins junior were in the year above me at Woodhill. I was in the same year as John Claydon who was our captain and centre half and he also represented Woolwich schoolboys (a nice guy and great footballer). In Alec and Ray's year at Woodhill was a guy called Jimmy McGrory who went on to play for Mayfield in the Met. Sunday afternoon league. I would put Jimmy on a par with John C as he could also play centre half or centre forward.
    I joined GTA colts as a right winger but soon converted to right back where I played regularly all that season. Beaumont started, like all clubs new to the Met Sunday League,in the bottom division. Of course we were too strong for those lower divisions, winning nearly every game, so we were quickly promoted upwards until after about 3 years we were playing in the top division. We had the Ruel brothers, Fred (Dulwich Hamlet) and Brian (ex Millwall apprentice and Tooting & Mitchum), Junior Crooks (Bromley) who you may have played with, and Dave Burke (ex Charlton colt) along with other names I have mentioned previously. Our home ground was at the Sydenham Cricket Club. One season we reached the semi-final of the London Cup where we lost to a team called, I think but not sure, Latham who were from Essex and had many Grays players in their team. We managed to throw away a 4-1 lead to enter extra time at 4-4; in the second half we conceded about half way through so had to go all out for an equaliser. We got sucker punched by two breakaways goals ending up losing 7-4; we were gutted as it was a game we should have won but that's the game we love, it don't always go to plan.
    Beaumont folded after about three years and half of us went to Woolwich Town where we were very successful, doing the double in our first season. In that team we had Larry Tait (ex Charlton apprentice), Brendan Greatorex, Paul Hedges and Kenny Weatherstone. We played our home games at Cray Wanderers ground.
    Sadly I read that Junior Crooks died in his early 50's of a heart attack whilst taking training at Tonbridge Angels. He was a great winger; I remember when Bromley had a good FA cup run and played against Swindon. Apparently Junior gave their left back called Trollope a roasting and Swindon wanted to sign him but he declined.
    Another coincidence is that Jimmy Gleason also took me along to Edgware where I played in a couple of pre-season friendlies. I wasn't up to standard so never made it but it didn't help when they decided to play me at double centre half in a 4-3-3 formation (me being a strapping 5' 5in tall!) against Chesham. Like you say Al, good memories.
  • Yes, I certainly remember Junior Crooks, although I think I left around the tome he joined, but he was a really really talented & good footballer. I can vaguely recall 'Armitage' surname, but do not recognise christian name. But with regards to Edgeware Town, you must have been the 4th player in the back four, as ot was Mickey Arnold, Tony Revell, ???? (Yourself) and myself, so the back 4 were all GTA. But the team overall were not very good and we went down a division. We even had to play all our home games away, as their were probs with the pitch and ground at Stag Lane. I was made skipper for that season, which was'nt the best season I ever had!!! I think we only won 1-2 games all season. But hey ho it happens sometime. Young Ray Hutchins I found out a few years back was best friends with my wifes cousin. Unfortunately he died a few years back, as did Tony Revell, who lived up the road cfrom me in Gravesend, Kent and we played together in local football there for a few years before he died. Overall though I've been lucky enough to play with some good players and playing for Plum Lane was the best time, even though I firmly believe GTA would have given us a run for our money!!!
  • The name Len Glover also rings a bell. I believe he played for Charlton & Leicester City, but I don't suppose its the same person?
  • Sponsored links:

• Kingy said:

The name Len Glover also rings a bell. I believe he played for Charlton & Leicester City, but I don't suppose its the same person?

Afraid not!

Although he was my boyhood Charlton hero hence the monicker.

Do you have any recollection of Shrewsbury Park in your Plum Lane days Kingy?
  • LenGlover said:

Kingy said:

The name Len Glover also rings a bell. I believe he played for Charlton & Leicester City, but I don't suppose its the same person?

Afraid not!

Although he was my boyhood Charlton hero hence the monicker.

Do you have any recollection of Shrewsbury Park in your Plum Lane days Kingy?
    The pitch had a bit of a slope !!!!!
    By the way I knew Jack Gillespie and I believe he used to play for Epsom & Ewell in his time.

• No to Shrewsbury Park, that was the season before I joined Plum Lane. They joined the KAL in 67. I joined in 68. I think we were the first team to get promoted in consecutive seaons, either as league winners or as runner up, until we got into the senior division. Here we got runner up in our first season, followed as winners the following season. We played home games on a pitch behind Eltham Palace.
    Jack Gillespie may well have played for Epsom & Ewell, but if so I was'nt aware of this. My mate Adrian Hill who I was with at Bromley & Greenwich Town Athletic, went on to manage Carshalton, Epsom & Ewell and also Banstead, after moving from Bromley to Tooting & Mitcham.
  • We used to play football in the hall at Plum Lane school in the evenings in the late fifties and Jack was running the Saturday team back then.
  • Wood hill Winger I've recently re-read these comments, especially the reference to the Beaumont v Plum Lane game which we played in. In fact it was'nt Plum Lane & Jack Gillespie, it was in fact Beaumont v Greenwich Town Athletic. It made me think about this because I could'nt see Jack Gillespie making derogatory remarks, as was'nt in his nature or character. From what I recall about that game was that Beaumont asked to play us (GTA). Jimmy Gleason agreed to it. However, at training he said 'we'ed better not lose this one, as we'ed never hear the last of it'! So the game went ahead as we both know. Jim told us he 'could'nt be there and it was probably best if he did'nt appear' at the game. So Ronnie Moore Senior and Wally Hill took charge for that game. Yes, it was 'grudge' game because of what had occurred previous, which you mentioned. As we were walking off after the game, I have it in my mind that it was Wally Hill that passed the remark you mention, not Jack Gillespie. So that clears that one up for me. I kept thinking I don't recall us (Plum Lane) playing Beaumont, because we all played for different teams on Sunday's.
    Another correction I should make is that when we (Plum Lane) won the Kent Junior Cup, we did'nt beat Gateway, we in fact played the final at Gateway ground! Can't recall who we beat though, but the score was 5-1 to us. Sorry for the previous mis-information provided, my excuse is 'sign of old age'!!!
  • Kingy said:

Wood hill Winger I've recently re-read these comments, especially the reference to the Beaumont v Plum Lane game which we played in. In fact it was'nt Plum Lane & Jack Gillespie, it was in fact Beaumont v Greenwich Town Athletic. It made me think about this because I could'nt see Jack Gillespie making derogatory remarks, as was'nt in his nature or character. From what I recall about that game was that Beaumont asked to play us (GTA). Jimmy Gleason agreed to it. However, at training he said 'we'ed better not lose this one, as we'ed never hear the last of it'! So the game went ahead as we both know. Jim told us he 'could'nt be there and it was probably best if he did'nt appear' at the game. So Ronnie Moore Senior and Wally Hill took charge for that game. Yes, it was 'grudge' game because of what had occurred previous, which you mentioned. As we were walking off after the game, I have it in my mind that it was Wally Hill that passed the remark you mention, not Jack Gillespie. So that clears that one up for me. I kept thinking I don't recall us (Plum Lane) playing Beaumont, because we all played for different teams on Sunday's.
    Another correction I should make is that when we (Plum Lane) won the Kent Junior Cup, we did'nt beat Gateway, we in fact played the final at Gateway ground! Can't recall who we beat though, but the score was 5-1 to us. Sorry for the previous mis-information provided, my excuse is 'sign of old age'!!!

Hello Al, not been on the site for months so sorry for this late response. We seem to differ on this one; I can recall chopping down my old mate John Claydon as he dribbled passed me and his retort "F*****g Hell Mart, come on!!". I can't ever remember playing against John in another game, so I think it must have been Plum Lane we were playing. I no doubt your views on Jack Gillespie as you knew him and I never did but I always remembered his comments after the game.
  • Kingy said:

Wood hill Winger I've recently re-read these comments, especially the reference to the Beaumont v Plum Lane game which we played in. In fact it was'nt Plum Lane & Jack Gillespie, it was in fact Beaumont v Greenwich Town Athletic. It made me think about this because I could'nt see Jack Gillespie making derogatory remarks, as was'nt in his nature or character. From what I recall about that game was that Beaumont asked to play us (GTA). Jimmy Gleason agreed to it. However, at training he said 'we'ed better not lose this one, as we'ed never hear the last of it'! So the game went ahead as we both know. Jim told us he 'could'nt be there and it was probably best if he did'nt appear' at the game. So Ronnie Moore Senior and Wally Hill took charge for that game. Yes, it was 'grudge' game because of what had occurred previous, which you mentioned. As we were walking off after the game, I have it in my mind that it was Wally Hill that passed the remark you mention, not Jack Gillespie. So that clears that one up for me. I kept thinking I don't recall us (Plum Lane) playing Beaumont, because we all played for different teams on Sunday's.

Hello Al, not been on the site for months so sorry for this late response. We seem to differ on this one; I can recall chopping down my old mate John Claydon as he dribbled passed me and his retort "F*****g Hell Mart, come on!!". I can't ever remember playing against John in another game, so I think it must have been Plum Lane we were playing. I no doubt your views on Jack Gillespie as you knew him and I never did but I always remembered his comments after the game.
    You mean you have a life away from CL, I do not believe it!
  • Used to work with Junior Crooks and played in the same works football team, 25- 30 years ago. Sad to hear of his death.
  • I saw these names mentioned in old discussions and as I was team mates with them, I thought I'd upload these old team photos.

The first team is UGB Pantiles from the 63/64 season of the (I think) South East London Minors League, ie under 18 colt football. Big Al was a funny lad as I remember but I didn't know him socially, only through playing for UGB (I say playing but I was normally first reserve, only playing about three or four times, but was there for the team shot!). Big Al is third from right, back row, next to the keeper; also in the team is Peter Kinsey (2nd from right, front row) and Bobby Levett, on Alan's left. Geordie was the manager (1st left back row), and Dick the physio, (extreme right back row). I can't remember any of the other names.

The second team is Beaumont from I guess the 66/67 season of the Metropolitan Sunday League. Dickie would have been about 18 here; he was a lovely, modest bloke and funny too and of course a great keeper, even at this age. Terry is on the extreme right, back row; Terry and I went back to primary school age and we were best mates during our teens and twenties. Sadly, Terry died back around 2005 at the age of 57. Beaumont was formed mainly of players from Millwall Colts; Dickie moved on the next season signing semi-pro for Wimbledon.

The third team is Woolwich Town from the 70/71 season, again of the Metropolitan Sunday League. I'd like to mention Larry Tait here who I think was an ex-Charlton apprentice; Larry was the hardest footballer I played with or against, but not dirty. He rarely ever used the slide tackle but would block tackle opponents to keep possession of the ball. I remember once when we played Greenwich Borough at the Rectory Field; they had Peter and Billy Kinsey in their team at that time. Billy was a hard man too and I recall a 50/50 tackle between Larry and Billy that resulted in a sickening crack noise. Larry walked away from the tackle but poor Billy was left on the ground with a broken leg. The last I heard of Larry was in 1971 when he said he and his girlfriend were moving to South Africa.

I saw these names mentioned in old discussions and as I was team mates with them, I thought I'd upload these old team photos.

The first team is UGB Pantiles from the 63/64 season of the (I think) South East London Minors League, ie under 18 colt football. Big Al was a funny lad as I remember but I didn't know him socially, only through playing for UGB (I say playing but I was normally first reserve, only playing about three or four times, but was there for the team shot!). Big Al is third from right, back row, next to the keeper; also in the team is Peter Kinsey (2nd from right, front row) and Bobby Levett, on Alan's left. Geordie was the manager (1st left back row), and Dick the physio, (extreme right back row). I can't remember any of the other names.

The second team is Beaumont from I guess the 66/67 season of the Metropolitan Sunday League. Dickie would have been about 18 here; he was a lovely, modest bloke and funny too and of course a great keeper, even at this age. Terry is on the extreme right, back row; Terry and I went back to primary school age and we were best mates during our teens and twenties. Sadly, Terry died back around 2005 at the age of 57. Beaumont was formed mainly of players from Millwall Colts; Dickie moved on the next season signing semi-pro for Wimbledon.

The third team is Woolwich Town from the 70/71 season, again of the Metropolitan Sunday League. I'd like to mention Larry Tait here who I think was an ex-Charlton apprentice; Larry was the hardest footballer I played with or against, but not dirty. He rarely ever used the slide tackle but would block tackle opponents to keep possession of the ball. I remember once when we played Greenwich Borough at the Rectory Field; they had Peter and Billy Kinsey in their team at that time. Billy was a hard man too and I recall a 50/50 tackle between Larry and Billy that resulted in a sickening crack noise. Larry walked away from the tackle but poor Billy was left on the ground with a broken leg. The last I heard of Larry was in 1971 when he said he and his girlfriend were moving to South Africa.

• Just picked this up as I am a new member,I played against beaumont,about 50 years ago,in I believe div 6 Metropolitan sunday league,they where far too good for that dividsion.I played with alan Sanford for a club called Whitworth,a year or two later,what a good player,but alas a shade temperemental,often taking early baths. saw alan about 2 years ago,not in the best of health,but still great company