Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

British interest in Borussia Dortmund

I'm not sure whether this has been mentioned here before, but I thought this made for an interesting read:

telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/borussia-dortmund/10428828/British-interest-in-Borussia-Dortmund-no-surprise-to-the-men-who-make-the-Yellow-Wall-work.html

Borussia could rake in many millions more on match day but choose not to.

“We would lose credibility, we would lose loyalty, we would lose the bonding force with the fans. And that would cost us,” says Cramer. “For instance, our caterers asked to increase the price of half a litre of beer from €3.70 [£3.11] to €3.80 [£3.19] and we said that extra 10 cents doesn’t make the difference, why should we increase it? It doesn’t satisfy our people.”

Comments

• I'm going in april dortmund v wolfsburg very much looking forward to it
  • Wow cant believe that many people travel from England to watch their games - Might have to go myself one day
  • I'm going in april dortmund v wolfsburg very much looking forward to it

That's the fixture I saw 2 years ago. Check out other fixtures and you should be able to get another game in if you're that way inclined.

• Wow cant believe that many people travel from England to watch their games - Might have to go myself one day

Most of them are Man Utd fans that have given up on their team this season.

Is Dortmund closer for them than Manchester? ;)
  • TelMc32 said:

Wow cant believe that many people travel from England to watch their games - Might have to go myself one day

Is Dortmund closer for them than Manchester? ;)
    From Oslo you can get there by car
  • might have some of that next year, doing a surprise for my son this year on fa cup third round day, so next year dortmund could be a option.
  • might have some of that next year, doing a surprise for my son this year on fa cup third round day, so next year dortmund could be a option.

Need to check, if you are doing the same time of the year. They have a winter break.

Hopefully Charlton are going to surprise us all on third round day this year too !!

Dortmund looks great, but I think if I was going over to Germany I would base myself in Hamburg and try and do 2/3 games in the weekend which I believe is pretty achievable from there (@RedPanda wrote a piece on it a while ago).
  • I will just pick a fixture and do it, never been so glad of a shit third round draw especially as he kept saying hope we get a away game at a new ground.
  • Sponsored links:

• I will just pick a fixture and do it, never been so glad of a shit third round draw especially as he kept saying hope we get a away game at a new ground.

Have done Barca with my boys, fancy a bit of Dortmund too.

Could probably take more there than we do for our own away games :0(
  • Wish that fella was running Charlton.....

Seriously, we've got to start following the German model. Safe standing, bigger capacities, lower prices, better atmosphere, better everything.
  • edited December 2013
    se9addick said:

might have some of that next year, doing a surprise for my son this year on fa cup third round day, so next year dortmund could be a option.

Dortmund looks great, but I think if I was going over to Germany I would base myself in Hamburg and try and do 2/3 games in the weekend which I believe is pretty achievable from there (@RedPanda wrote a piece on it a while ago).
    I haven't been to Hamburg, if/when I get there I only know of St Pauli and Werder Bremen being easily commutable but their games can clash. Hamburg though, sounds like a real laugh with mates. It depends what you're after, I'm more a ground-hopper.

West Germany has Dortmund, Schalke, Monchengladbach, Leverkusen, Dusseldorf, Koln, Bochum and Duisberg all within fairly easy reach of each other. A bit further south you could also tie in either of the Frankfurts, Kaiserslauten and Mainz. From speaking to German fans Eintracht Frankfurt could have the best supporters in Germany, they took 10'000 to Bordeaux in the Europa recently.

• RedPanda said:

se9addick said:

might have some of that next year, doing a surprise for my son this year on fa cup third round day, so next year dortmund could be a option.

I haven't been to Hamburg, if/when I get there I only know of St Pauli and Werder Bremen being easily commutable but their games can clash. Hamburg though, sounds like a real laugh with mates. It depends what you're after, I'm more a ground-hopper.

West Germany has Dortmund, Schalke, Monchengladbach, Leverkusen, Dusseldorf, Koln, Bochum and Duisberg all within fairly easy reach of each other. A bit further south you could also tie in either of the Frankfurts, Kaiserslauten and Mainz. From speaking to German fans Eintracht Frankfurt could have the best supporters in Germany, they took 10'000 to Bordeaux in the Europa recently.

From Hamburg you could also easily do Hannover and if you fancy some lower league stuff, Lubeck (good bar in the clubhouse there). .
  • edited December 2013
    RedPanda said:

se9addick said:

I went to Frankfurt the weekend before last with my wife when by happy coincidence (yeah right) Eintracht were at home and I got a ticket for their game with Hoffenheim.

It was very Charlton-like in some ways - they lost 2-1, are near the foot of the table and are especially struggling at home.
    The crowd frustration at poor defending and lack of cutting edge is the same in any language, but there was still 40,000+ there and the stadium was decent.

It was a lower category game and ticket wasn't that cheap - 35 Euros I think, although that was in one of the higher price brackets and included return train travel from the city centre.

Atmosphere was very good for a relatively low key game, and much of it generated from the standing section behind the goal (which I think is pretty much all season tickets).

All in all, would certainly recommend the Bundesliga experience if people get a chance.
  • Other than the ground, there is literally nothing else to Dortmund.
  • Hello, has anyone got experience buying tickets for Hamburg or Hannover? They’ve just announced TV changes for the weekend I’m there and both Hannover v Wolfsburg and Hamburg v Mainz are doable.

I’ve tried doing some scouting on their official sites but Hamburg’s only offering German (shock horror) and Hannover’s ticket area is down. I’ll be based in Hamburg and will do a day trip to Hannover. Lubeck are away unfortunately.
  • RedPanda said:

Hello, has anyone got experience buying tickets for Hamburg or Hannover? They’ve just announced TV changes for the weekend I’m there and both Hannover v Wolfsburg and Hamburg v Mainz are doable.

I’ve tried doing some scouting on their official sites but Hamburg’s only offering German (shock horror) and Hannover’s ticket area is down. I’ll be based in Hamburg and will do a day trip to Hannover. Lubeck are away unfortunately.

Go onto Viagogo....they've got tickets for both of those games on sale. Any of the seats in Hamburg are good or give it some on the terrace behind the goal. Hannover is similar...has standing behind the home goal and the seats are good (there's a bit of a running track so you can see the whole pitch).
  • Dortmund is incredible, if you can get tickets in their standing part of the ground do it, its worth every penny
  • RedPanda said:

Hello, has anyone got experience buying tickets for Hamburg or Hannover? They’ve just announced TV changes for the weekend I’m there and both Hannover v Wolfsburg and Hamburg v Mainz are doable.

...and for some good grassroots non-league action, go to SV Blankenese (tube ride from Hamburg). Lovely little ground tucked away amongst the smart houses & leafy streets.
  • Sponsored links:

• RedPanda said:

I've been to Hannover and bought 8 tickets from a tout for face value, 30 minutes prior to kick off. They were playing Hamburg and it was pretty much sold out, with I'd guess about 7-8,000 hamburg fans there, so I was surprised at how easy it was to get in.

Hannover v Wolfsburg may be slightly different as its classed as a north Saxony derby. I went to the reverse of this fixture in Wolfsburg a couple of years ago and, although there was no trouble that I saw, there were groups of lads dressed in black squaring up to the riot police after the game so there may be a greater restriction on tickets.
  • milo said:

RedPanda said:

I've been to Hannover and bought 8 tickets from a tout for face value, 30 minutes prior to kick off. They were playing Hamburg and it was pretty much sold out, with I'd guess about 7-8,000 hamburg fans there, so I was surprised at how easy it was to get in.

Hannover v Wolfsburg may be slightly different as its classed as a north Saxony derby. I went to the reverse of this fixture in Wolfsburg a couple of years ago and, although there was no trouble that I saw, there were groups of lads dressed in black squaring up to the riot police after the game so there may be a greater restriction on tickets.
    What the Palace Ultras on a European tour?