Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England World Cup Single.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/10512767/England-to-release-song-for-Brazil-World-Cup-2014.html

By Henry Winter

England will release an official 2014 World Cup song but Wayne Rooney, Steven Gerrard, Daniel Sturridge and the rest of Roy Hodgson’s squad will definitely not be performing on it. All funds raised will go to a Football Association charity.

The full England squad have rarely been involved with an FA-approved song since the 1986 World Cup. Some of Bobby Robson’s players were involved with the Italia 90 record with New Order, World In Motion, arguably the greatest football record and which included John Barnes’s famous rap.
Members of Terry Venables’s squad appeared in the video for the unofficial Euro 96 gem from David Baddiel and Frank Skinner with the Lightning Seeds, Three Lions, which was quickly adopted by supporters.

It is often noted that England’s most successful two tournaments since 1966 have been accompanied by their best two songs.
Other notable songs include Back Home by Sir Alf Ramsey’s 1970 squad which went straight to No 1 and stayed there for three weeks. The 1982 squad released This time (we’ll get it right). The Keith Allen-inspired Vindaloo was England’s unofficial song for France 98. Other efforts have come from Ant and Dec, Embrace and Crazy Frog.

The FA is usually inundated with offers from solo artists and bands to produce a World Cup song. No decision has yet been taken on which song will be chosen to represent Roy Hodgson’s squad. The manager is a Motown fan but the players mainly prefer R’n’B.

The FA is deliberating first on the charity to which it should donate the money. It has backed two specific charities this year, the Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK and Sport Relief. Last summer, in association with the latter, Hodgson and players attended a coaching ­session at a Rio favela project that is run by Jorginho, the Brazilian former World Cup winner.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Think they should do a cover version of an old classic. Suggestions:

- Renaissance (I'm Coming Home) by M People
    - Promise Me by Beverly Craven (Chorus Line "I'll be home, I'll be home soon...")
    - Homeward Bound by Simon and Garfunkel
  • Options
    There's an Awful Lot of Coffee in Brazil (to help us stay alert & awake)
  • Options
    Going out - Supergrass
  • Options
    Is it all worth it - Treetop Flyers
  • Options
    We Are The Champions (my friends) ((:>)
  • Options
    Rio - Mike Nesmith. Now that is a tune. Great video too.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Cleverley's Pants - The Underwears
  • Options
    Money ..... Berry Gordy/Beatles et al
  • Options
    This is why Three Lions will always be the greatest England football song....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tkkqSl-rfh4
  • Options
    Loser-Beck
    Zero-The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Passionless, Pointless-PJ Harvey
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    21 seconds-so solid crew
  • Options
    cafctom said:

If they re-release that for the 2016 Euros they'll have to change it from 30 years of hurt to 50 years of hurt! How frightening is that (the rapid passing of time I mean, not the continuing crapness of the England football team)?!

World in Motion was better @cafctom
  • Options
    Rio-Duran Duran
  • Options
    "Money for Nothing" Dire Football...........sorry Straits
  • Options
    In the jungle ( the lion(s) sleeps tonight ) - Tight Fit
  • Options
    Jerusalem by Fat Les is an underrated one!
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

cafctom said:

World in Motion was better
    Is the correct answer.

Would like to see Diamond lights remade. As they are saying squad members won't sing the song, what about two former players, c'mon Rio Ferdinand and John Terry make it happen.
  • Options
    This Time I Know It's For Real - Donna Summer
  • Options
    Simon Cowell should do "England's got some talent" and the winner gets to either sing the world cup song or play left midfield
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Three lions is a song from genuine england fans who have felt the pain. You can't mistake what its about.

World in motion is a pop song about football.

No contest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Think they should do a cover version of an old classic. Suggestions:

- Renaissance (I'm Coming Home) by M People
    - Promise Me by Beverly Craven (Chorus Line "I'll be home, I'll be home soon...")
    - Homeward Bound by Simon and Garfunkel

Ray Charles - Born To Lose
  • Options

Three lions is a song from genuine england fans who have felt the pain. You can't mistake what its about.

World in motion is a pop song about football.

No contest.

This. World In Motion is great but Three Lions is a proper song for the terraces.
  • Options
    As long as it's not (what the players mean by) R n B, or by anyone who has been on a talent show I don't really care - something to sing along with like 3 Lions or Vindaloo would be preferable though.
  • Options

In the jungle ( the lion(s) sleeps tonight ) - Tight Fit

In the jungle the mighty jungle the three lions win away...

a win away, a win away, a win away, a win away, oooooohhhhhhhh oooohhhhhhh oooooohhhh three lions win away.
  • Options
    I think paying homage to one of brazils finnest ever death metal bands would be vwery vwery good... Roy sings a medley of the greatest hits of Sepultura... Wefuse/wesist and of course the legendry woots bloody woots..
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    'The Lion Sleeps Tonight' EDIT .. sorry, BedsA got there first
  • Options
    The road to hell: Chris Rea
  • Options
    We're coming home, we're coming home, England's coming home?
  • Options
    Of course they will, or do you expect them to stay there forever?