Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Question Time

edited December 2013 in Not Sports Related
It's a bit lively tonight!

They are really gonna miss Mandela.

Comments

• Dimbleby struggling to keep control. One panelist just called another a "House Negro".
  • Mr Smug of the Year, and any year, Peter Hain getting buried! Brilliant.
  • Audience comment on Mugabe was scary.
  • Did anyone ask if the Trust had scuppered a takeover bid ?
  • Was lively indeed
  • How Peter Haine had the cheek to say The UK was racist because of what happened to Stephen Lawrence without mentioning Lee Rigby was appalling .
  • edited December 2013

How Peter Haine had the cheek to say The UK was racist because of what happened to Stephen Lawrence without mentioning Lee Rigby was appalling .

I don't think Lee Rigby has anything to do with Stephen Lawrence.

I'm assuming Peter Haine said that because of the police actions during the investigation after the murder.

Edit: Looked up the context and apparently he didn't mean it that way. So ignore.
  • Did Peter Haine really say that? Really?

Astounded if he did.
  • He's always been a bit of a muppet.
  • How Peter Haine had the cheek to say The UK was racist because of what happened to Stephen Lawrence without mentioning Lee Rigby was appalling .

Lee Rigby was murdered because of a religious motive, not because of a racial one. Stephen Lawrence was murdered because he was a black lad.
    You shouldn't conflate these events as they are completely separate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Perhaps someone should tell him the story of Kriss Donald's murder then.

Ridiculous comment to make.
  • iainment said:

How Peter Haine had the cheek to say The UK was racist because of what happened to Stephen Lawrence without mentioning Lee Rigby was appalling .

Lee Rigby was murdered because of a religious motive, not because of a racial one. Stephen Lawrence was murdered because he was a black lad.
    Was he? Only the killers know why they killed him. Just because they used/use racial language doesn't mean that was the motive. Genuine question.

And if that murder makes the Uk racist (I presume the bloke saying it meant towards blacks) then what about the other race related murders in this Country that were committed against white people and are rarely mentioned. Surely that makes the Country racist too?

Wish there would be a level playing field on this topic as not doing so just causes more problems.
  • Can't believe people are still watching Question Time, pile of old shit
  • Off_it said:

Did Peter Haine really say that? Really?

Astounded if he did.

No he said that we had never had apartheid in britain but there were still acts of racism citing Stephen Lawrence and that South Africa had only come out of apartheid 20 years ago which is only a short period of time so it was not realistic for racism to have been eradicated.

He did not say Britain was racist and there was no context within which to mention Lee Rigby as that was not a racist murder but an act of terrorism. Lee Rigby's sad murder was because he was a soldier ... the first one that those two had identified.
  • Valley11 said:

BIG_ROB said:

Can't believe people are still watching Question Time, pile of old shit

Completely disagree. A programme that puts politicians on the spot and holds them accountable is definitely not a 'pile of old shit'. Not sure there's a regular programme like QT anywhere else in the world. Should be applauded.
    Pile of shit is reserved for the singing / popularity contests and the bug eating drivel.
    I think politics is a "pile of old shit" as well, so by having politicians on there make that a "pile of old shit" an all imo
  • Like this
    POS.jpg
    305 x 165 - 12K
  • iainment said:

how do we know any of that is correct, had it been a black british soldier would he still have been the target of the attack that day

• Peter Haine who gobbed off and marched everywhere re supporting Mugabe ---do tell us how well that went.
  • edited December 2013
    Liked the programme but always felt like the audience is loaded with a left-wing balance and any opinion even verging on right wing (even if a valid question/point) is sneered at and the questioner is belittled by the panel and audience as if to say they are un-educated for having such an outrageous opinion. Boils my blood.

• Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:

BIG_ROB said:

Can't believe people are still watching Question Time, pile of old shit

Completely disagree. A programme that puts politicians on the spot and holds them accountable is definitely not a 'pile of old shit'. Not sure there's a regular programme like QT anywhere else in the world. Should be applauded.
    Pile of shit is reserved for the singing / popularity contests and the bug eating drivel.
  • iainment said:

how do we know any of that is correct, had it been a black british soldier would he still have been the target of the attack that day

I think he would have been, the issue was about targeting a soldier as they have said in court.
  • iainment said:

iainment said:

how do we know any of that is correct, had it been a black british soldier would he still have been target of the attack that day

I think he would have been, the issue was about targeting a soldier as they have said in court.
    Must be true then, did they swear on the Bible?
  • BIG_ROB said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

how do we know any of that is correct, had it been a black british soldier would he still have been target of the attack that day

Must be true then, did they swear on the Bible?
    In fact the one who gave evidence affirmed, which surprised me.
  • edited December 2013
    Riviera said:

Dimbleby struggling to keep control. One panelist just called another a "House Negro".

I wonder how many British TV viewers really understood the term. It was coined by Malcolm X, I think, and has since been adopted in the South African townships where it has a very specific and nuanced meaning...

• The fact that the BBC show question time at 10:35 till 11:30 is ridiculous. It should be shown every week at the very latest 9pm till 10pm.
    The BBC moved it to this time for a one off during the expenses scandal and viewing figures were higher than any of the tat soaps.
  • edited December 2013

The prgramme was superb and the audience was almost the best part of it. Showed that in a young democracy politics is still vital and vibrant and matters far more to people who only got the vote less than 20 years ago than it does to jaded and cynical Europeans.

The audience were passionate and commited and hugely knowledgable and the range of opinons covered the waterfront in what is often said to be a one party (ANC) state - from militants frustrated that the transfer of politcial power has still not been followed by a transfer of economic power, to those who believe gradualism is the only way without destabilising the economy and thus disadvantaging blacks via lost jobs and investment.

And they all advocated their case with such an inspiring balance of analytical rigour and ideological passion. It's going to be so dull when the programme returns to debating IDS's welfare reforms and George Osborne's autumn statement.

Agree Hain was a total plank. He gave the same platitudinous answer to every question, "What you have to realise is how far South Africa has come from the days when I grew up here 100 years ago in the bad old days of apartheid blah blah ". Embarassing, patronising and shallow - and most of his fellow panelists told him so.

Even Pik Botha talked more sense than Hain. Really wanted to hate and despise Botha but he was actually very dignified and to hear him say that Mandela had been South Africa's saviour was actually profoundly moving coming from such tainted lips...

THIS .. a super summation of the programme and probably (pure guesswork here) the state of contemporary South African politics and society
  • QT is one of the programs I really miss from the UK. You just don't get that type of TV anywhere else.

South Africa is interesting, what Mandela stood for has been totally corrupted by the ANC, check out how many government ministers are multi millionaires now on the back of the corruption.

Unfortunately the majority of the population are no better off now than they were at the end of the apartheid era.
  • edited December 2013

iainment said:

"The only reason we have killed this man today is because Muslims are dying daily by British soldiers."

That guy is from Nigeria and was talking about wars taking place in Afghanistan and Iraq. An African male talking about the murders of Muslim Arabic people.

I think those who suggest it's racially motivated are just seeing what they want to see.

OR maybe I'm wrong, it was racially motivated but having just tried to cut someone's head off and while waiting around for the police to make a martyr of him, he bottled telling everyone the real reason.