Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How parents treat Refs

After reading this.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/female-referee-andrea-ruddy-quitting-2878969

It makes you wonder the sanity of some people. It's not a moaning about moaning thread but in this case it's just bizarre what some people think of another human being soon as they put a refs shirt on.

In professional football, for example down the valley, it's different. The refs are paid very well and that stuff is part of the job in my opinion and I imagine they get used to it. Awful decisions can ruin a passionate football fans weekend/week, so it's high pressure to get big decisions right and do what you are paid to do.

That poor lady was doing something different and people showed her no respect. Some parents are awful and encourage kids to behave the same way.

We can all lose our rag down the valley but that stories just sad.

Comments

• Options
    "The competitive nature of most mums and dads is astounding. It's as if they are living their own dreams through their kids."

that is fair comment from Lineker.

parents literally can't control themselves at games and it is depressing to watch as it rubs off on the kids.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Maybe the parents are just used to ranting and raving whilst looking for somebody to blame for why their son isn't winning....

Much like we do with our teams - except spitting and personal abuse is much worse than just shouting a rude word or two suggesting the ref isn't very good.
  • Options
    Yes, it is very sad. I think this is true but sometimes there is a lack of communication. This can be the ref’s fault as at lower levels being aloof winds people up more than honesty. Just because professional refs are encouraged to take this stance, it doesn’t work at other levels. The first thing is – all refs will make mistakes and the worse the ref, the more mistakes he/she will make. But if they are honest mistakes, and that fact is acknowledged, there would be less of an issue I believe.

But it doesn’t excuse the parents or players with poor attitudes – and as they wrongly put winning so high on their priority list– maybe the way to curb the behaviour is to dock points when the slightest example of inappropriate behaviour occurs.
  • Options
    Disgusting. Mind you, that is probably their normal behaviour. They would take that attitude into shops, bars etc.
    I saw an under ten manager rip into his team after they lost reducing some of them to tears.Nice.
  • Options
    People need to realise, No Ref=No Game. The sooner they do the better.
  • Options
    This comment is bizarre:
    'No mate without FANS and players there's no game that attitude is the reason why the refs at professional level are so poor they don't need to answer to nobody'

Anyone who thinks there is no football without fans has never been to a Sunday league game.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

I saw an under ten manager rip into his team after they lost reducing some of them to tears.Nice.

People like that should not be involved in youth football. This twat should be reported to the welfare officer at his club or the county FA.
  • Options

pettgra said:

People like that should not be involved in youth football. This twat should be reported to the welfare officer at his club or the county FA.
    Agreed and I wish now that I had done something. It was a bitterly cold day and these lads were about seven down. I do remember this poor boy on the opposition side who was just absolutely shaking and virtually crying with the cold as the ball was never in his half.
    I thought just change them around.You don't want to mollycoddle them but..........
  • Options
    Professional games can be abandoned for crowd trouble. Scale that down to 22 wild parents on a touchline, I don't understand why the referee doesn't just pick up the ball and say the game is abandoned. Word would soon get around.

I don't get the need to bully referees - players or fans. I do like the rule in rugby union where a team moves back another 10 yards (maybe, metres) if there is any arguing. It works and it's so simple.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

I don't get the need to bully referees - players or fans. I do like the rule in rugby union where a team moves back another 10 yards (maybe, metres) if there is any arguing. It works and it's so simple.

Didn't the FA try to implement that but the idea...

Its a bit like dissent - we always hear about how rugby is much better in respecting the officials which is true but is that because they actually get punished as a player and individual..

Its very rare for a player to be booked for foul and abusive language even when its pretty clear.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Referees should just start abandoning games. Sooner or later parents, players and managers will get so pissed off with thier games being abandoned they will realise they need to behave in a more appropriate way.

When I played Sunday football some of the abuse aimed at the refs was ridiculous. At the end of the day they all do it because they enjoy it, not to be abused by people who know nothing about the game.
  • Options
    The parents need to realise that once they start treating referees with more respect, they will start to get better as more people are willing to become referees.

Referees are just as likely to make a mistake as the players on the pitch, they're all human.
  • Options
    I hated refs when I played and I hate them now. But they should and can not be abused - I don't like youth managers having a go at refs- or even trying to influence them. It isn't easy to ref a game - you are going to get a number of decisions wrong. Refs at lower levels need to acknowledge this first, but qualify with - I will give all my decisions - wrong or right with integrity - I need you to respect that.
  • Options
    I refereed mens football on & off for about 15 years. One time I was asked at short notice to cover for kids (U11 I think) match. Never again......................
  • Options
    In Holland they have "silent" matches for their junior development teams - for the very reason of getting the parents to STFU.
  • Options
    Recently they also had an incident where seven youth players and one of their dads kicked a lino to death.
  • Options

Recently they also had an incident where seven youth players and one of their dads kicked a lino to death.

Yeah, but in silence....
  • Options

Indeed, but that was a game at amateur level.

The big Dutch clubs ensure that their youngsters learn to play in environments that are not hostile and confusing.

Ajax are very big on this.
  • Options
    If in the end you could not get people to referee kids games because of the abuse, where would you be then ?
  • Options

In Holland they have "silent" matches for their junior development teams - for the very reason of getting the parents to STFU.

good idea tbh