Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Platini suggests sin bins over yellow cards.

Comments

• Blokes an idiot.
  • He's trying to justify his own pointless job by coming up new and stupid ideas. He should concentrate his time on trying to sort out the Qatar world cup mess.
  • Ridiculous
  • Is this such a bad thing? If someone picks up two pretty nothing yellows in a game, 10 minutes in the bin is no bad thing, and there are some offenses which are 'Orange card' like, which 10 minutes off the pitch would fit more, then being sent off
  • It's not called the beautiful game for nothing. Tinker with it at your peril. What's next. Time outs ? Football is great just how it is as far as I am concerned.
  • If it ain't broke and all that...
  • Same arguments were probably used when they introduced crossbars, changed the pitch markings, put numbers on shirts, goal line technology
  • About 15 years ago if a player went 5 games without a booking then 1 yellow card he may have recieved that season would be chalked off. That was scrapped after one season as players used reserve games to build up their game. I think if there was a system in this country where only 1st team competitive league and any cup game can be counted to having a booking chalked. Maybe it could be if a player plays 400 minutes without being being booked then if he has a booking to his name then it could be scrapped. Maybe have have a minutes system because a player could play 20 minutes for 5 games and he would only have 100 minutes under his belt. It would encourage cleaner play and lessen the risks of a suspention.
  • How on earth does it work if a goalie is cautioned.
  • God knows what he does on a day-to-day basis to come out the utter tripe he comes out with
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:

Same arguments were probably used when they introduced crossbars, changed the pitch markings, put numbers on shirts, goal line technology

You can add red and yellow cards to that list.

I hate the name sin bin but he has a point about how it benefits another team when the player gets suspended. I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of change brought in but it would have to be right for the game and not a straight copy of Rugby's rules.

Maybe change the rules so that the suspension applies the next time the two teams meet if it is the first game in that season.
  • Given that so many yellows are unjustified and there is no appeals process; there is no agenda within football for more accountability concerning errors so extra punishments for many non-offenses would be stupid. Not to mention the widespread inconsistency of punishment for similar offences not addressed. As SHG said the man is an idiot and seems unaccountable, elected no doubt by our unaccounable FA.

Sorry to mention accountable so much but I'm an accountant!
  • I like the idea myself. Get a couple of yellow cards at the same time and it could be interesting.
  • the geezer is a wanker who hasnt got a clue
  • cafc4life said:

the geezer is a wanker who hasnt got a clue

It sounds much nicer in French.

Le bonhomme est un branleur qui n'a pas la moindre idée
  • I like it. As it stands, a member of your team can get fouled and you end up getting punished because when the points tot up to match suspensions, the perpetrator could be forced to miss a match against your rivals. With the sin bin system, it is always the victim that gets the benefit.
  • A great player who is off his trolly!
  • just asking for people to come back on and pull a muscle. can't just sit on the side for 10 minutes and then expect to come back on and play.
  • just asking for people to come back on and pull a muscle. can't just sit on the side for 10 minutes and then expect to come back on and play.

Nothing to stop them warming up. Could use exercise bikes, etc.

Give it a trial and see how it goes.

Well done Platini for being innovative.

• I also like the idea of giving defenders a hockey stick type implement which they could use to nick the ball way from a player thus eliminating the tackle from behind. Platini is right. Football needs innovative ideas to halt it's alarming decline in popularity.
  • Sponsored links:

• One rule I really like which is used in the MLS.

The Ref carries a little cannister of shaving foam or squirty cream or somesuch - in any case after spraying it vanishes within a minute or two.

When a free kick is given in an attacking position - he marks a line with the foam where the offence took place, he then measures out 10 yards & draws another line with his foam behind which the defensive wall must stand - really clarifies the 10 yards back for the wall rule - simple but effective...

• I like it. It's always annoyed me that a player injured by a foul is treated on the sidelines and the game continues without him so that the perpetrator's team gets the extra man advantage.
  • I think it's a good idea even though it comes from Platini. Yellow cards often don't really benefit the team who have suffered from the offence and aren't that much of a disincentive to diving etc.

If we listened to the ain't broken don't fix it brigade we'd still have professional fouls being allowed and two points for a win.

Like the MLS foam idea as well
  • I like it. It's always annoyed me that a player injured by a foul is treated on the sidelines and the game continues without him so that the perpetrator's team gets the extra man advantage.

I have always thought that if a player fouls another player, and the injured player then has to leave the field having received treatment then so should the player that committed the foul. Goal keepers would of course be an exception.

I also like Platinis idea.
  • Halix said:

How on earth does it work if a goalie is cautioned.

Good question:
    When Kelly got booked for time-wasting, would the sub 'keeper come on for the ten minutes, replacing an out field player, and then 10 minutes later change back again ?
    Would be interesting to see how many additional minutes the ref would add on to the end.

• Corrupt Corrupt Corrupt Corrupt Corrupt
  • I've always liked this idea... Sin Bins and hearing what gets said between referee and player are the main two aspects I want to see taken from Rugby!!

If the GK gets booked then its obviously gonna be for time wasting (and possibly if he gives away a pen) so if thats the case and outfield (Steve Brown type player) goes it goal.

You get a certain amount of time to get off the pitch else the time gets extended.

People say that there will be too many players in the bin what with the amount of cards given but we've never had more than 1/2 in a match this season (I dont think) and it'll teach players not to be so reckless
  • edited December 2013
    Put two hoops attached to the goalposts either side where should the attacking team get the ball they are awarded points. Six points would mean an extra goal but the ref could also penalise teams for offences and remove points. It would work. I like this idea of making up ridiculous new rules in order to ruin what is already the best sport in the world.
  • edited December 2013
    Danger could be that this idea might lead to more players trying to get others sin-binned and of course further dissent which players do because unlike in rugby they get away with..

As far as I am aware officials can book players for such offences but rather seem to do.

We tried the moving a ball 10 further forward 10 yards which didn't work...

Unfortunately I am not sure it would make the game better and probably turn into a farce..
  • One rule which i think should exist is: if a player time wastes at a throw or free kick in order to wind down the clock. As well as a booking, the throw in and fk should be reversed. I.e if im taking too long on a throw for cafc, the ref books me and the other team gets the throw. Would stop time wasting which is very frustrating! The refs do not add on the time that is wasted anyway!