Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yeovil Town vs Charlton | Sat 7th Dec 2013 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Introduction

It’s funny how a week can change as a Charlton fan. This time last week, I was writing on the back of a 2-0 solid victory over Doncaster and the talk of a potential ‘takeover’ was growing. While the possible takeover hasn’t died completely, there is a chance that the name ‘Joshua Harris’ will join the list of other Martians who have been rumoured to be involved with Charlton including the ‘Zabeel group’, Corey Gibbs and Florent Rouamba.

The talk off the pitch may have distracted our last two results as defeats to Ipswich and Reading were disappointing although the Addicks could count themselves unlucky to lose to the Royals on Tuesday night after creating a number of chances.

This weekend, Chris Powell’s side travel to the West-Country to face Gary Johnson’s Yeovil and if the Glovers defeat Charlton on Saturday, then the Somerset side will overtake the Addicks in the table and climb out of the relegation zone.

The Opposition

Yeovil’s remarkable run to the Championship has seen them receive some well-deserved recognition and the way they have started their 2013/14 campaign gives the Glovers some confidence that they actually can beat the drop come the end of the season.

Gary Johnson’s side are also not known for parking the Combine Harvester in front of goal as highlighted in their back-to-back victories over Blackpool and Watford over the past week showcasing their attacking threat.

The loan signings of Ishmael Miller, Adam Morgan and John Lundstram in November has proved effective for Yeovil so far, as both Miller and Lundstram have scored since their arrivals and will be looking to add to their tallies this weekend.

Player to Watch

The player to watch is weekend is Yeovil midfielder Ed Upson. While he may have the name of a common phrase that a Dad may say to his son, Upson certainly shouldn’t be underestimated. The England Under 19 international has already scored five goals this season for the Glovers one of which was the winning goal in Yeovil’s first ever game in the Championship against Millwall.

The Line –Up

The experiment of Cedric Evina and Rhoys Wiggins on the left hand side wasn't too effective in midweek, creating a huge dilemma for Chris Powell as he tries to decide who will be on his wings this weekend.

There will be calls for skipper Johnnie Jackson to make a return to the starting eleven but with Jordan Cousins and Dale Stephens working effectively together it makes it hard to include Jackson within his preferred position.

Richard Wood may get recalled in place of Dorian Dervite but the rest of the back-four will probably stay the same while Ben Alnwick is likely to continue in goal.

Danny Green and Marvin Sordell will be knocking on Chris Powell’s door to play this weekend after impressive cameos in midweek. While the likes of Bradley Pritchard and Callum Harriott will also be pushing for starting spots this weekend.

The Prediction

Addicks can’t really afford to lose; I can see goals in this game: 2-2 draw.

Comments

• Options
    I doubt Wood will start; also feel Sordell may deserve to start in place of Church (who is starting to look tired...). We neeed Stewart (or Harriott, or Jackson) to perform and be more involved on the left, not sitting wide waiting (hoping) for the ball to arrive. We also need Yann to be up for this game; as you say, we can't afford another defeat.
  • Options
    Sordell has to start imo
  • Options
    Here's Danny Green's injury time winner from our last visit to Huish Park ---> http://plentyofshots.wordpress.com/2013/12/04/danny-green-goal-vs-yeovil-town/

God I hope we win this one. We've got to get some luck sooner or later.
  • Options

Sordell has to start imo

I've been waiting for him to start all season :-) I wish he wanted to or look like he does.

PS We were poor before Wood got in the team & we've been poor since he's been out.

Get Wood in there asap.
  • Options
    I fear another defeat, with us again unable to muster a goal. Two of the three clubs below us will soon have new management in place while Yeovil themselves have a very competent and shrewd boss who will no doubt have the measure of anything CP, Dyer and co. can throw at them.

The table doesn't lie and we are in freefall at the moment.

Like AdamAddick I'd also like to give Sordell a start.
  • Options
    Going to be tough game, massive 6 pointer. We normally pull out a surprise somewhere.

I'd personally go for:
    Alnwick
    Wilson, Morrison, Wood, Wiggins
    Green, Cousins, Stephens, Stewart
    Sordell, Kermorgant

Pope, Evina, Dervite, Pritchard, Jackson, Harriott, Church

Plenty of options on that bench to change it around too.

Might as well attack them from the off instead of a defensive, cautious approach. Although I feel it could be a cagey affair.

2-1 Charlton
  • Options
    Wood must return and on the subject of 'manufacturing materials', our team needs to show a lot of steel and bottle on Saturday against a side under Gary Johnson that may lack finesse but will not be short of 100% commitment and positive attitude.
    We are getting near a 'must win' situation, we need the points and a morale booster. Away from home, as I have written before, we seem a better side. With some determination, a fast start and this side: Alnwick, WIlson .. Morrison .. Wood .. Wiggins; Stephens .. Hughes .. Cousins .. Stewart .. Kermorgant .. Church, we can win this:

Yeovil Town 0 v CAFC 2
  • Options
    We NEED a win. If we lose we're stuffed. I can't, however see that happening.

The Glovers 0 CAFC 2
  • Options

Sordell has to start imo

I've been waiting for him to start all season :-) I wish he wanted to or look like he does.

PS We were poor before Wood got in the team & we've been poor since he's been out.

Get Wood in there asap.
    I believe Wood is still out injured

• Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-0 smash and grab by the not so mighty addicks
  • Options
    BGSAddick said:

Sordell has to start imo

Get Wood in there asap.
    I believe Wood is still out injured

Nope. He's been on the bench for the last 4 games, since 23rd Nov. QPR, Ipswich, Doncaster & Reading !
  • Options
    take a point

lose and we'll be bottom 6 for most of the rest of the season

3-1 yeovil
  • Options
    They'll get 0 or 1, so will we.
  • Options
    1 - 0 to Yeovil and more wrist slitting.
  • Options
    Not got a good feeling but still going and will be behind our besieged CAFC. We can only do that as fans to help lift them. We are better than Yeovil and need to believe it.
    I can't call it but will not resort to negativity. Come on you Reds! In Powell and the boys I believe.
  • Options
    1-0 Yeovil, goal after 5 mins and game over
  • Options
    Think we'll lose this. But we won't be relegated. 2-1 to Yeovil.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Yeovil have got nothing to lose and have to fancy their chances for this. Will want to get their own back for league 1 defeat against us 2 years ago that they didn't deserve, if I remember right.

We have to go in thinking like the underdogs and fight.

Weren't we scouting Ed Upson a couple of years ago?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would like to see Wood back for Dervitte and SCP must either play Harriott or Stewart on the left. I think I would give Marvin a run out as well, as I don't think that either Church or Kermogant could have a serious beef about being benched. Indeed, they are players who could well have an impact as subs. I appreciate that Yann has been out for some time but he has, in my view, flattered to deceive since he's been back.

All is not lost - I absolutely expect us to get something on Saturday. It is certainly a six pointer and a potentially pivotal moment in our season.
  • Options
    1-1

Church

Webster

• Options
    RobRob
    edited December 2013
    I don't know any more. I'm going for a 0-1 Addicks win to burst the Yeovil bubble after 2 good wins. I would like Wood and Sordell to start.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Can we please just once play 11 players in their own proper positions?

Hope Yann moves out of the hole too and joins Church or Sordell up top, looks far less comfortable having to play an almost midfield role.
  • Options
    0-2 to CP's Red and White Army
  • Options
    It has reached a state when Charlton aren't confident of beating Yeovil.
  • Options
    2-0 to them.

It will get dark before it gets lighter.
  • Options
    Happy hunting ground for us in recent years, 2 wins and a draw in the last three visits. I think we'll get a reasonably straightforward 2-0 victory in this battle of the clubs that haven't been able to invest in strengthening their squads since being promoted from League 1.
  • Options
    1-0 loss again