Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Safe Standing

Comments

• Options
    What is to stop 30 people standing in a row designed for 25?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Nothing just like now.
  • Options
    But at least they will be safely overcrowded?
  • Options
    The way I understand it that it be will be safer to stand in these areas, with a rail in front of every fan, the seats are surplus to requirements below the EFL championship. You will not have an individual choice as to whether you sit or stand as the seats are locked in the closed position when the area is designated as a safe standing area. The seats are only installed at Celtic to comply with UEFA, they are locked in the closed position for Scottish League games, mind you the Celtic fans still stand for UEFA games, but it is safer than all EPL Stadiums due to the additional rail.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Guess though it'll be like ticket sales for seats at the moment... i.e. Clubs know the attendance because of the number of spaces available so know when to sell out.

In the old terracing days was the attitude perhaps a case of: "Cram in a few more" to boost sales?
  • Options
    I'd like to see it happen but it's not all it's cracked up to be. Stood at Bremen v Hamburg a couple of years ago and it was very hard to move around.

But it's the only viable option, so I'd like to see North Lower & Lower Away End done.

And if we ever got back to the top division and for a bit of fun......I'd like to see the West Lower done too! (I know they can't because of the tightness of space underneath the stand) Wonder what that would take the capacity up to? 40,000?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Manchester Utd have applied for 1,500 rail seats.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51457337

Government report looks favourable too;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51413557
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is going to happen now that Manchester Utd have made a formal application. 

I'm fully in favour of it but actually didn't like it much when I stood in safe standing (rail seat) at Werder Bremen. It's quite restrictive and difficult to move around in....you can only move to your left or right....not up and down like you could with old style terracing. But as a safe alternative, it's a winner and people would get used to it. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Manchester Utd have applied for 1,500 rail seats.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51457337

Government report looks favourable too;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51413557
    I thought ManU fans always stood up anyway so why incur unnecessary costs 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Simonsen said:

I'm fully in favour of it but actually didn't like it much when I stood in safe standing (rail seat) at Werder Bremen. It's quite restrictive and difficult to move around in....you can only move to your left or right....not up and down like you could with old style terracing. But as a safe alternative, it's a winner and people would get used to it. 
    Going to be a nightmare to charge down to the front during knees up mother brown. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Going to be a nightmare to charge down to the front during knees up mother brown. 
    Those were the days 😀
  • Options
    What about a safe standing sofa?
  • Options
    Covered end lower is the perfect place for this. To encourage a decent atmosphere behind the goal and to it overcomes the issues of the rake and zero legroom down there. I believe that the capacity increases slightly when in use.

Currently standing spaces are 1:1 with seats. They have rail seats in the South Bank at Molineux.
  • Options
    Covered end lower is the perfect place for this. To encourage a decent atmosphere behind the goal and to it overcomes the issues of the rake and zero legroom down there. I believe that the capacity increases slightly when in use.

Currently standing spaces are 1:1 with seats. They have rail seats in the South Bank at Molineux.
    Different system to Bremen then. There they've got two steps behind each rail. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Man U have been given permission to install 1500 rail seats by the local authority.at Old Trafford.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Man U have been given permission to install 1500 rail seats by the local authority.at Old Trafford.
    one of my near neighbours I was chatting to (at long distance lol) is a Spurs fan .. he was saying something about an area in the new W H Lane stadium which has a 'guard rail' type system in front of the seats which allows for support if a fan wants to stand .. I didn't quite get what he was talking about, but it sounds like a kind of half way house between being seated or standing .. be annoying for those seated all around though if a few decided to stand for the whole game etc. etc. .. I've seen nothing written about this
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    one of my near neighbours I was chatting to (at long distance lol) is a Spurs fan .. he was saying something about an area in the new W H Lane stadium which has a 'guard rail' type system in front of the seats which allows for support if a fan wants to stand .. I didn't quite get what he was talking about, but it sounds like a kind of half way house between being seated or standing .. be annoying for those seated all around though if a few decided to stand for the whole game etc. etc. .. I've seen nothing written about this
    It means that that section of the ground can be converted to from seating to standing for certain matches/occasions if permitted by the rules of the competition. I don’t think Spurs have ever used it for a football match yet.   
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Dansk_Red said:
    It means that that section of the ground can be converted to from seating to standing for certain matches/occasions if permitted by the rules of the competition. I don’t think Spurs have ever used it for a football match yet.   
    se9addick said:
    Dansk_Red said:

that explains it .. thanks ((:>)
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Dansk_Red said:
    I was there for an NFL game last year and they have those rails in that huge single tier behind one of the goals. Makes sense to put them in now in anticipation that the rules might change and the general feeling looks like that might happen soonish.
  • Options
    Local news at Ashton Gate with their new safe standing area ready to go - looks great.
  • Options

Plans to lift the ban on standing in the English Premier League and Championship are set to be announced by the government, the BBC has learned.

It is thought a handful of grounds will be able to use designated safe standing areas before the end of the season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58357046

• Options
    Very good news, but I can't see TS spending that sort of money on The Valley any time soon, especially since RD still owns it.  :'(

Nor (in my opinion) should he, in the circumstances.  I'd prefer available funds to be directed towards the team.  

At least this will have the advantage that when it eventually does happen, we'll be able to learn lessons from the early adopters.
  • Options

Premier League and Championship clubs have been asked for expressions of interest to pilot safe standing areas this season.

Clubs have until 6 October to submit an application to the Sports Ground Safety Authority (SGSA).

"If approved, they will be able to offer licensed standing areas from 1 January 2022," said the SGSA.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58648153

• Options
    Sorry thought this was a thread about Stockley.
  • Options
    If you want safe standing, just come to the NU. I genuinely don't understand how people can sit for 90 mins at a game. Standing adds to the atmosphere and also stops you fkin freezing in the winter games.