Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Substitutes

edited December 2013 in General Charlton
Before I start this I want to make it clear I love Sir Chris and have said so many times if I could I would extend his contract tomorrow.
Having said that the lack of substitutes is starting to annoy me please tell me I am not the only one to thin this.

Again today losing 1-0, 4 or 5 players playing really poor and no sub until the 69th minute.

Example on Monday, Villa 2-0 down 10 minutes into second half Lambert decides its not working makes a treble sub they draw 2-2

Comments

• Options
    We don't have a bench capable of having an impact IMHO. The squad is very thin.
  • Options
    If he had some good players on the bench he probably would make them earlier
  • Options
    Wiggins played the worst game I have ever seen him play and Evina was just sat on the bench
  • Options
    20 minutes + injury time is plenty enough to turn a game around. It wasn't how early he made subs that was the problem, it was the quality of subs he was able to bring on.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

It was clear long before half time that Ipswich had done their homework they man marked Stewart and Stephens and starved them of the ball, yet no changes of systems or players even at Half Time Was not until Green come on that we stretched their midfield and Stewart got to see more of the ball...but why wait till 70 mins to do this ?
    Simple is that again Powell got out-managed by the other manager and was not brave enough to make changes at the right time...cost us the game because Ipswich was not that good

I agree the subs should of been made earlier thats why I made this thread, But your comments on Powell out are purely and simply IDIOTIC
  • Options
    Don't really get how Harriott can go from one of our best players last season, to now behind Green (who didn't even impress in League One) in the pecking order.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

It was clear long before half time that Ipswich had done their homework they man marked Stewart and Stephens and starved them of the ball, yet no changes of systems or players even at Half Time Was not until Green come on that we stretched their midfield and Stewart got to see more of the ball...but why wait till 70 mins to do this ?
    Simple is that again Powell got out-managed by the other manager and was not brave enough to make changes at the right time...cost us the game because Ipswich was not that good

Green did sod all as usual. His first contribution was to foul throw. I would expect schoolboys not to do that. He's well out of his depth and it shows how thin the squad is when Green is anywhere near the first eleven. Stretched their midfield my arse.
  • Options
    It was said to me during the game, and I tend to agree, that of the players on the bench Evina would have had just as much chance to make an impact as any of the other subs. A tiring Jacko could be replaced with a Wiggy/Evina combo, but the bench was probably all we had available barring Harriot. I would favour Harriott over the loanees incidentally.
  • Options
    Bringing sordell on with four minutes to go is an absolute pisstake
  • Options
    For me the most frustrating thing is that the system was not working & no real change in that until panic button pressed with 3 minutes left.

Powell rarely changes things at 1-0 down, but sometimes it seems obvious that the formation needs changing and risks need to be made. Whilst Church was not great today, he looked more likely to get behind their back 4 more than anyone else. Thought he could have gone with a front 3 after the hour mark tbh.

I do really like Powell but I think he has his favourites and sometimes it doesn't matter how bad they are playing he wont bring them off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who are his favourites? He took off Jackson and dropped Pritchard and Harriott from the squad completely.
  • Options

Wiggins played the worst game I have ever seen him play and Evina was just sat on the bench

Trouble is I think there would be uproar if Powell was seen to be taking off a LB for a LB
  • Options
    Whilst I agree that generally, Powell could make earlier substitutions.

Today, he could have brought any 3 on at HT and taken any 3 off & we still wouldn't have scored a goal.
  • Options
    I thought at Half-Time he maybe should have brought Wood on for Wilson but it would be too far defensive a change... I did look at the clock at 60mins, did look over at the bench and was surprised no one was getting ready to come on
  • Options

Trouble is I think there would be uproar if Powell was seen to be taking off a LB for a LB
    Not the way he was playing, everyone around me was calling for Wiggins off
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Before I start this I want to make it clear I love Sir Chris and have said so many times if I could I would extend his contract tomorrow.
    Having said that the lack of substitutes is starting to annoy me please tell me I am not the only one to thin this.

Again today losing 1-0, 4 or 5 players playing really poor and no sub until the 69th minute.

Example on Monday, Villa 2-0 down 10 minutes into second half Lambert decides its not working makes a treble sub they draw 2-2

Thought the timing was fine, wrong bringing on Piggott in my opinion and should have changed the formation, which he did not really do till he brought Sordell on.

Why not keep this as part of the after match thread??
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with Powells subs, if there was we would have had this debate many times over for the last 2 years. Oh wait....
  • Options
    Nobody complained in the promotion season. Subs are an easy target when your team has lost a game. If it was as simple as that then why can't we agree on who should come on /off and when?
  • Options
    Problem is, there's no one on today's bench that could have changed the game. Danny Green was probably the only one with that ability but he always fails to do it.
  • Options

So there should be. When you're 1-0 down why the hell would you make that change? Did leaving Wiggins on cost us any more goals? No. If you're losing you bring on attackers to change the game, not muck about with the back four.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Nobody complained in the promotion season. Subs are an easy target when your team has lost a game. If it was as simple as that then why can't we agree on who should come on /off and when?

I did!!
  • Options
    It's easy to be wise after the event. Given our terrible start, I thought there was a risk that they would do us on the break and go two up. Maybe, Green should have come on 5 mins earlier as his introduction did stretch Ipswich a bit more but the first five mins done us. One break and we could well have won. If Wiggins shot had crept in it could have been a happier day against a well organised but ordinary side
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    25 mins is over a quarter of the match game time , so more than enough to influence , unfortunately the subs were chuff
    Got to agree Sordell should have been on instead of the pig