Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sayings that you wished were now defunct

Comments

• Stig said:

The eighth letter of the alphabet being pronounced as if is starts with an "H" rather than an "A"

Not just me then. I have had several conversations with colleagues who insist on pronouncing it that way and that I am the one in the wrong. Had more than one tell me I only say it like that because I'm from London and therefore incapable of pronouncing my aitches...

Henry said: I think that is exactly the problem. It is rarely written out and people have assumed the proper pronuciation is a "lazy/common/cockney" mispronunciatiion.
    I think the same happens with quite a few words. Herb is another favourite where people assume that the h is sounded.

As annoying as this is, it's something we need to come to terms with and bite lips. Since 2005ish when the new phonics programme came into primary schools children are being taught to pronounce it 'haitch' so in a few decades 'aitch' will be a thing of the past.

Still no excuse for anyone over about 10 to pronounce the 'h' when saying the letter though unless they work in education or have children they teach phonics to.
  • Stig said:

I think the same happens with quite a few words. Herb is another favourite where people assume that the h is sounded.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I drop the H in herb like some American.
  • McBobbin said:

Stig said:

It'll be a cold day in hell before I drop the H in herb like some American.
    Agree it drives me crazy over here hearing that word - if that cold day comes you may as well start saying cilantro, bay-zil & origg-inoh when perusing the erb aisle in your local grocery store.
  • Stig said:

The eighth letter of the alphabet being pronounced as if is starts with an "H" rather than an "A"

Not just me then. I have had several conversations with colleagues who insist on pronouncing it that way and that I am the one in the wrong. Had more than one tell me I only say it like that because I'm from London and therefore incapable of pronouncing my aitches...

Henry said: I think that is exactly the problem. It is rarely written out and people have assumed the proper pronuciation is a "lazy/common/cockney" mispronunciatiion.

It is in the UK but not in US or JA. : - )
  • Charlton owner Roland Duchatelet
  • He's like and She's like instead of he said, she said

Thinking outside of the box, (or laterly square).

All the gear, and no idea

Its Bollocks innit?

all the usual...Omg's wtf's etc...

It's sick....

Im stoked

When people make that stupid hand gesture (in inverted commas).

• Scapegoat
  • It’s happening to be replaced by it’s happened.
  • Give it up for.....whatever crap entertainer who didnt do enough to raise his/her own applause
  • Sponsored links:

• "I regret saying gay sex is not a sin"

What sort of backwards cockwomble would come out with this pearler in this day and age?
  • Have we had,

Imminent?
  • it is what it is

the most vapid, ambiguous sentence ever
  • Have we had,

Imminent?

The veggie guy who’s got cats?
  • My boss says hashtags out loud. Especially "hashtag awks".

I can't be doing with that.

• JiMMy 85 said:

My boss says hashtags out loud. Especially "hashtag awks".

"hashtag bellend"
  • JiMMy 85 said:

#whatawanker
  • We're now closer to relegation than promotion
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Should be allowed to kick people in the head for saying "hashtag"

Should be allowed to kick people in the head for shortening words like awkward!!
  • Awesome, and why is the word "like" used every other word by some people.
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:

Is your boss like Jessica Hynes in W1A?
  • Rumpy pumpy.

The only phrase in the English language that gets gradually more offensive the more you think about it
  • edited January 2018

'Can I get a skinny Latte?' p off

"Can I get", irritates me
    "Latte" when combined with "can I get" is the ultimate
    I actually heard the following from a 20 something female ordering in Wetherspoons.

" Can I get the classic burger, but can I not get the sauce "

They have killed our great English language ! "INIT"
  • "Now on the BBC a program featuring Michael Macintyre"
    Pretending to be camp and sort of posh while shouting do not funny make - this prick must have mastered a Jedi mind trick: "I am the light entertainment anchor you are looking for" and nobody at BBC's L.E. commissioning has any more between their ears than an empire stormtrooper.
  • My bad.....sloppy and lazy in the extreme!
  • stevec said:

Awesome, and why is the word "like" used every other word by some people.

I have just given you a like........stay calm stevec........stay calm!
  • Saying Scotch instead of Scottish or Scots.
    Scotch is a drink!
  • Roland Out
  • counting down the days until....