Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sayings that you wished were now defunct

Comments

• "Todays Premier League match involves Crystal Palace"
  • "Can't be bothered to read the whole thread, can someone tell me what's going on"
  • starting every ontribution with "So..."

"sort of" used as punctuation or (hard of)thinking time

"can I get" when you mean 'may I have' or 'I would like'

"back in the day" - straight red followed by shovelling into the refuse burning power station in Bermondsey
  • As I said.

If you said it you don't have to repeat it.... But you didn't say it, did you, you moron.
  • Corporate.

When used as a noun. It's an adjective.
  • mendonca said:

Can I get???
    I can't see anything too annoying with this phrase.

It's "can I have" in this country - always has been. "Can I get" is a yankism, said by people because they think it's cool. There's one word in the English language that sounds better in an American accent. One word. Moustache.

Actually, once upon a time it used to be "please may I have..." but you are right about mustdash.
  • No disrespect to: (Barnsley/ Doncaster/ Charlton/ insert name of small club) when uttered by some prick of a pundit before disrespecting...
  • "I'm good" in answer to "how are you?"

You probably mean you are well or very well.
  • mendonca said:

Can I get???

It's "can I have" in this country - always has been. "Can I get" is a yankism, said by people because they think it's cool. There's one word in the English language that sounds better in an American accent. One word. Moustache.
    I think most Americans would agree with you.

• Some of my job involves a customer service element and one thing that drives me crazy is when I answer the phone, someone beginning a conversations with 'yeah'. 'Yeah, so what it is yeah..' Maddening.
  • Sponsored links:

• Medal is a noun not a verb.

Also pacifically instead of specifically? Really?
  • mendonca said:

Can I get???

LoL button! I am still struggling to get would up by the use of GET rather then HAVE. Can we settle on MAY I HAVE.

• I use to sit in a cafe in Golden Square most mornings listening to the office knobs saying "Can I get this" "Can I get that", use to put me off reading me Daily Mail
  • Charlton are too close to the relegation positions
  • Being told to "Work smarter not harder" - generally when being given shed loads of extra work to do.
  • edited December 2013
    The eighth letter of the alphabet being pronounced as if is starts with an "H" rather than an "A"

"We are Charlton, coming in"
  • Can I grab ... ugh really p*sses me off
  • Can I grab ... ugh really p*sses me off

Mate of mine said that in a bar in reference to some peanuts. A simple "if you can reach" silenced him amongst the hoots of mirth.
  • The eighth letter of the alphabet being pronounced as if is starts with an "H" rather than an "A"

Not just me then. I have had several conversations with colleagues who insist on pronouncing it that way and that I am the one in the wrong. Had more than one tell me I only say it like that because I'm from London and therefore incapable of pronouncing my aitches...

• Sponsored links:

• "I don't do...". Usually utterd by some stuck up idiot who thinks they are too important to use public transport, shop in supermarkets or do whatever else it is that common people do.
  • Anyone referring to 'freedom of speech' or 'it's my opinion' to allow them to have an ill thought out or offensive rant online or in person.

Bollocks, get informed first (and not by a friend/bloke at work/Wikipedia) and then you can demand your right to have an opinion.
  • The eighth letter of the alphabet being pronounced as if is starts with an "H" rather than an "A"

Not just me then. I have had several conversations with colleagues who insist on pronouncing it that way and that I am the one in the wrong. Had more than one tell me I only say it like that because I'm from London and therefore incapable of pronouncing my aitches...

I think that is exactly the problem. It is rarely written out and people have assumed the proper pronuciation is a "lazy/common/cockney" mispronunciatiion.
  • takeover rumour
  • Sir Chris Powell
  • Do the math
    Have you got a Nector Card?
  • On here, it has to be "The PC brigade.." followed by a nasty sexist/racist/homophobic rant.
  • edited December 2013
    kigelia said:

Anyone referring to 'freedom of speech' or 'it's my opinion' to allow them to have an ill thought out or offensive rant online or in person.

Bollocks, get informed first (and not by a friend/bloke at work/Wikipedia) and then you can demand your right to have an opinion.

Unfortunately, everyone is entitled to an opinion, and sadly they now have the opportunity to 'share' it with us through social networks etc.

What these these people fail to grasp is their entitlement to an opinion doesn't preclude it from being no more meaningful than a small pile of old toe-nail clippings.
  • edited December 2013

The eighth letter of the alphabet being pronounced as if is starts with an "H" rather than an "A"

Henry said: I think that is exactly the problem. It is rarely written out and people have assumed the proper pronuciation is a "lazy/common/cockney" mispronunciatiion.

I think the same happens with quite a few words. Herb is another favourite where people assume that the h is sounded.