Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Advice wanted - My training course provider has gone into administration

I'm just over half way through an electrical course with New Career Skills which I paid £6000 for. I am paying £230 per month for 3 years on finance that was set up with the company when I signed up which I can barely afford. I haven't yet got any qualifications and in all honesty I'm not very impressed with the course. I don't feel I'm getting my money's worth.

I have today receieved the following email

New Career Skills Limited – in administration

Joint Administrators - Allan Watson Graham and Jane Bronwen Moriarty

Allan Graham and Jane Moriarty were appointed Joint Administrators of New Career Skills Limited (“the Company”) on 28 November 2013.

The Watford and Doncaster training centres will continue to operate as normal whilst the Joint Administrators seek a buyer for the business, and your current training courses will remain as scheduled.

In the event that you have any course related queries in light of the information, please direct these to your head office contact.

Kind Regards,

The Joint Administrators

Allan Watson Graham and Jane Bronwen Moriarty were appointed Joint Administrators of New Career Skills Limited on 28 November 2013.

The affairs, business and property of the Company are being managed by the Joint Administrators.

Allan Watson Graham is authorised to act as an insolvency practitioner by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales.
Jane Bronwen Moriarty is authorised to act as an insolvency practitioner by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland.

The Joint Administrators act as agents of the Company and contract without personal liability.

Can anybody offer any advice on where to go from here? Should I sit and wait and see what happens? Am I f*cked if the company goes into liquidation?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Sorry to hear that. What quals were you looking to get at the end of it?
    Was it full or part time?
  • Could, possibly, have been a scam. In which case you have my sympathy. Find out who the directors, etc were and see if they have any "history".
  • Part time. It's aimed at people in work who can't afford to leave their jobs to do apprenticeships etc. Most of it is home learning and when you've finished a section of theory you do a week in the training centres doing the practical stuff.
    The qualifications you get at the end are City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate in the requirements for Electrical Installations (2382), Level 3 Certificate for in Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment (2377) and EAL Level 2 Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers Part 'P' Compliant.

• Part time. It's aimed at people in work who can't afford to leave their jobs to do apprenticeships etc. Most of it is home learning and when you've finished a section of theory you do a week in the training centres doing the practical stuff.
    The qualifications you get at the end are City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate in the requirements for Electrical Installations (2382), Level 3 Certificate for in Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment (2377) and EAL Level 2 Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers Part 'P' Compliant.

Not really sure where you stand in getting any money back,but going forward, it might be worth talking to your local technical college to see if you can continue with your studies there.

• "The Watford and Doncaster training centres will continue to operate as normal whilst the Joint Administrators seek a buyer for the business, and your current training courses will remain as scheduled."

So in the short term you don't appear to have any problem. It maybe worth you talking to your Head Office contact and also Citizens Advice on potentially where you stand.
  • This must be close to heartbreaking for you N-A. It seems that the (so called) Government does little due diligence on these 'training firms' before allowing them to take people's cash. This company is not the first to go bust (either bent or legit) and will not be the last.
    Good luck in resolving this problem, even more luck in getting some qualifications and making a decent career
  • Can you at least stop the finance payments, you must have a case whereby if the course stops running you should not have to continue paying. I could understand if you had a bank loan but you say the finance is with the course people.
  • Hello mate, is it just those three items you get for your £6000?

The 2382, 2377 and EAL Level 2?

Keep out of this, this thread is for electricians :-)

lol

Funnily enough, get hold of the 2013 JIB handbook and see whos name is in the back
  • Sponsored links:

Yes and all my (basic) tools.
  • Contact the finance provider and explain what's happened. They will be responsible for replacing the course provider under the terms as conditions of the finance agreement (I imagine it's a fixed sum loan) so section 75 of the consumer credit act is relevant. If you get no luck forward the case to the financial ombudsman service. Believe me I've seen a few of these in the past!

Its a 'domestic installer' course. When you've passed you can take an advanced course which is about another £1000 which covers Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification (2392) and solar panels.

lol

Funnily enough, get hold of the 2013 JIB handbook and see whos name is in the back
    Give me a clue?
  • Tor said:

Contact the finance provider and explain what's happened. They will be responsible for replacing the course provider under the terms as conditions of the finance agreement (I imagine it's a fixed sum loan) so section 75 of the consumer credit act is relevant. If you get no luck forward the case to the financial ombudsman service. Believe me I've seen a few of these in the past!

Beat me to it!
    You've got the same kind of protection as when you buy something on a credit card.

Hope it all gets sorted soon.
  • This is no thread for jokes and if Nathan turns up in this one I will go doo lally.

This sounds really disheartening And I really hope you get you're money back or continued training.
  • edited November 2013
    Curb_It said:

This is no thread for jokes and if Nathan turns up in this one I will go doo lally.

This sounds really disheartening And I really hope you get you're money back or continued training.

Think I saw that he's got another banning order. Good luck N_A
  • It's in administration, not receivership and is still trading while the administrators look for a buyer.
    So S75 CCA act won't help you just yet as the services are still being provided.
    However in the event that the training is not of the promised standard or a buyer for the business is not found and the course is terminated the finance company would indeed be liable. While they may try to pay out only for the value of the portion of the course that was not provided rather than the whole, a counter argument is that without the qualification the whole course is worthless.
    However, in order to put yourself in the strongest possible position with the finance company I would strongly suggest that you write to them and inform them of the situation, sending a copy of the communication you have received and reminding them that they are jointly and severally liable in the event that the goods and services, as contracted are not provided. You should cite S75 CCA in your letter and request a response from them. Chase it if you don't get one.
    Keep copies of all the relevant documentation you have. If you have mislaid any relevant documents ask for copies from the administrators.

Something along these lines should suffice:

[Your address and contact 'phone number]

[Finance Company address]

Dear
    [Reference: account number]
    On [date] I signed up for [insert name of course] provided by [insert name of company providing the training] at a cost of [£xx] which is being paid for through a finance agreement with your company under the above reference/account number.
    As explained in the attached email, the course providers are now in administration and it may be that the contract for the provision of the course and the [insert qualification name] will not be fulfilled in the event that a buyer for the company is not found.
    I understand that, along with the supplier of the goods and services, under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 you, as the finance company involved in the transaction, are liable to the customer (me) for any breach of contract or misrepresentation.
    The purpose of this letter is to put you on notice that, in the event that the supplier fails to deliver the goods and services and is in breach of contract, I will be holding you liable for this breach.
    Can I take this opportunity to remind you of the requirements of the Practice Direction on Pre-Action Conduct and in particular to Paragraph 4 concerning the Courts powers to impose sanctions for failure to comply with the Practice Direction.
    Please can I have your response to this letter within 14 days.
    Yours faithfully,

[Your name here]
    Enc
  • edited November 2013
    If there is any value in the business then the administrators will want people like you on side as much as you want your money to be safe. If the entire customer base deserts them they will struggle to get shot of the business on a non break up basis. Whether that value is there though is I'm afraid anyone's guess for the time being. Hope it works out for you
  • edited November 2013
    Sorry to hear that mate, I've not got any advice on getting your dough back or the legal side of it.

Although, depending on how far into the course you are and what you may have to show for it, you could try and register with the JIB as either an electrical labourer, an electricians mate or an electrical improver. Rates are okay and you can either do day release or a couple of evenings a week at college. If you can get a firm to sponsor you, even better.

Good luck
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2013
    cafcfan said:

It's in administration, not receivership and is still trading while the administrators look for a buyer.
    So S75 CCA act won't help you just yet as the services are still being provided.
    However in the event that the training is not of the promised standard or a buyer for the business is not found and the course is terminated the finance company would indeed be liable. While they may try to pay out only for the value of the portion of the course that was not provided rather than the whole, a counter argument is that without the qualification the whole course is worthless.
    However, in order to put yourself in the strongest possible position with the finance company I would strongly suggest that you write to them and inform them of the situation, sending a copy of the communication you have received and reminding them that they are jointly and severally liable in the event that the goods and services, as contracted are not provided. You should cite S75 CCA in your letter and request a response from them. Chase it if you don't get one.
    Keep copies of all the relevant documentation you have. If you have mislaid any relevant documents ask for copies from the administrators.

Dear
    On [date] I signed up for [insert name of course] provided by [insert name of company providing the training] at a cost of [£xx] which is being paid for through a finance agreement with your company under the above reference/account number.
    As explained in the attached email, the course providers are now in administration and it may be that the contract for the provision of the course and the [insert qualification name] will not be fulfilled in the event that a buyer for the company is not found.
    I understand that, along with the supplier of the goods and services, under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 you, as the finance company involved in the transaction, are liable to the customer (me) for any breach of contract or misrepresentation.
    The purpose of this letter is to put you on notice that, in the event that the supplier fails to deliver the goods and services and is in breach of contract, I will be holding you liable for this breach.
    Can I take this opportunity to remind you of the requirements of the Practice Direction on Pre-Action Conduct and in particular to Paragraph 4 concerning the Courts powers to impose sanctions for failure to comply with the Practice Direction.
    Yours faithfully,

[Your name here]
    Enc

^^^^This is the answer Norfolk with one caveat, that the finance is actually through a third party and not directly financed by the company itself. As in a totally seperate business not just their in-house finance team or something.
  • RedChaser said:

Curb_It said:

This is no thread for jokes and if Nathan turns up in this one I will go doo lally.

Think I saw that he's got another banning order. Good luck N_A
    ...young Nathan has indeed joined his uncle in the CL sin bin.
  • @Norfolk_Addick I hope you can get your money back as these courses alone are not enough to be classed as a qualified electrician.

Message me if you want more info/advice
  • BIG_ROB said:

Sorry to hear that mate, I've not got any advice on getting your dough back or the legal side of it.

Although, depending on how far into the course you are and what you may have to show for it, you could try and register with the JIB as either an electrical labourer, an electricians mate or an electrical improver. Rates are okay and you can either do day release or a couple of evenings a week at college. If you can get a firm to sponsor you, even better.

Good luck

The JIB do not have electrical labourer or improver cards.
    You will be able to gain an Adult Trainee card which has to be renewed each year with proof of a college course.
    The only other one would be general operative card. (Cant remember the exact wording)
    Mates and Improvers are "technically" illegal under the JIB

@ eaststandmike **hint hint**

lol

What page number, I will see if I can take a look on line
  • Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely be writing that letter once I've had a flick through the paperwork. As I said in my original post I haven't been very impressed with the course so far so best situation would be I get my money back and do a propper course.
  • cafcfan said:

It's in administration, not receivership and is still trading while the administrators look for a buyer.

Dear
    Yours faithfully,

[Your name here]
    Enc

^^^^This is the answer Norfolk with one caveat, that the finance is actually through a third party and not directly financed by the company itself. As in a totally seperate business not just their in-house finance team or something.
    What if it is through the company itself?
  • cafcfan said:

Dear
    Yours faithfully,

[Your name here]
    Enc

What if it is through the company itself?
    Then you won't have a claim for joint liability I'm afraid as the law would see it as the creditor and supplier are the same. Careful though as sometimes it looks like it's the same business but is in fact a seperate but linked company so definitely worth checking. Whether they have any money is another issue. Did you pay anything on your credit card at all, even a small deposit?