Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Speed Cameras in London

Comments

• Options
    A lot of average speed cameras have been introduced in the last couple of weeks on the A2, A102 and A406, interesting timing why all have come in at the same time
  • Options
    The 30mph limit with avg speed cameras on the A2 at kidbrooke is driving me mad. No works being done even though it would seem like that's what they're for.

Anyone know if they're active?
  • Options

A lot of average speed cameras have been introduced in the last couple of weeks on the A2, A102 and A406, interesting timing why all have come in at the same time

there are 4 trial sites. Starting with the A40 from the Polish War Memorial to Paddington a couple of months ago plus the A102 Blackwall Tunnel Approach, A316 in Twickenham and the A406 from Hanger Lane to Wembley (only just gone live as there were major roadworks on the affected section)

The A2 wasn't part of this trial so I'd be surprised if they're average speed cameras seeing as the trial is barely started but you never know. If they are then there will be signs on all slip roads and on the approach warning of them
  • Options
    I read somewhere that the A2 in London was going to get average speed cameras, just like the A13. That's what is being installed there.
    Clearly not live yet, though the stretch from Sun in the Sands to Eltham is because of alleged road works
  • Options

The 30mph limit with avg speed cameras on the A2 at kidbrooke is driving me mad. No works being done even though it would seem like that's what they're for.

I know I drove through them at an average speed of 40-45 mph three times over the past two weeks And no ticket yet. They may all be in the post and I'll get banned.
  • Options
    They e had average speed camera on that stretch of the a40 for ages have t they?
  • Options

They e had average speed camera on that stretch of the a40 for ages have t they?

they installed them a long time ago but only turned them on and put the signs up 2 or 3 months ago
  • Options
    kafka said:

I live in the country and people are regularly killed on the roads around me. There are no cameras though as traffic flows are low. The selected main roads (per car) are some of the safest in the country. This is just about making money.

If people paid attention to how fast they drive, the government/council/however runs the cameras would make no money. Simples.
  • Options

My tom tom picked pne up as a 30mph camera so yes, I believe so... I hate it too but take no chances
  • Options
    I don't think they are set for the exact speed limit to give a little leeway
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I don't think they are set for the exact speed limit to give a little leeway

It always used to be 10%+2 leeway, so 35 in a 30 zone, 79 in a 70 zone etc. Whether that is still the case I don't know. Got a mate (also a Charlton fan) who works in the enforcement division for the Met so I might have to ask him.
  • Options
    Why don't they focus on dangerous drivers rather fixed speed. People who overtake dangerously, people who drive too close, people constantly changing lanes unnecessarily! It is lazy and a way to make money. Simple.
  • Options
    Average speed cameras in Medway tunnel now live. 50mph limit.
  • Options
    Anyone been on a Speed Awareness course? Just had to pay £97 for one. Four hours in a classroom. Do they use simulators?
  • Options
    It's sad that there are so many people breaking the speed limit that any of these cameras make money.

I would be more than happy for all roads to have cameras on them and/or all cars to have GPS devices that check speeds, but then I've had to answer a phone call at 4am to hear that my wife's 19 year old brother had been killed in a car accident. That kind of thing makes boy racers look like cocks to me!
  • Options
    Coming back from Bexleyheath I now go off at Falconwood, drive down to Well Hall, down Rochester Way, then up Kidbrooke Road.
  • Options
    In the last week I have seen the following
    One fella talking on his phone on the M25 with a baby in the back of the car.
    Various people sending texts on the motorway
    Various people sitting in the middle lane of the M4 doing 69 mph.

and to top it all off yesterday afternoon a lady going straight into the back of my van in her Range Rover as she was "just quickly looking at" her fuel gauge.

This I the reason I'm up with a sore neck and head ache at 3am on a Saturday.
  • Options

I think the 30mph limit is in place for night works replacing the central barriers along that stretch. Came home along there a few weeks ago and it was busy with works going on and it was all coned off down to one lane. Don't think it's in force during daytime hours even though a lot of drivers do slow down for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2016
    As mentioned there are a lot of new style camera networks being installed on the roads including the m25. Are these really just for speed and number plate recognition purposes, etc or for something a bit more sinister. Pay as you drive road pricing perhaps?

The average speed reason could just be a fob off until they get the whole planned network installed.
  • Options
    BDL said:

Bump, anyone else noticed the new style camera on the A2 between Bexley and Dartford coast bound? The look like Avg speed cameras but road markings seem to suggest that they aren't. It also looks like there are also cameras on the coast bound Bexley turnoff as well.

Cameras now on the London bound side, two sets each way from the speed camera and the place where the limit goes up from 50 and vice versa in the other director.

Also the yellow box junctions on the road between Welling & Bexleyheath, now have cameras on them.
  • Options
    If the government really cared about speeding or bad driving then all cars would have a GPS limiters, which would then limit each car for the road that they are on, but they dont give a shit, so the cameras are a great revenue generator, thats all they are for, to think anything else is naive.
    Also for years I have been able to drink a couple of pints, drive home, and use my moby because I can steer with my knees.....hold on I still can, why? because there are no police on the roads anymore...........happy days......!
  • Options
    Moby.......dick?
  • Options
    Greenie said:

If the government really cared about speeding or bad driving then all cars would have a GPS limiters, which would then limit each car for the road that they are on, but they dont give a shit, so the cameras are a great revenue generator, thats all they are for, to think anything else is naive.
    Also for years I have been able to drink a couple of pints, drive home, and use my moby because I can steer with my knees.....hold on I still can, why? because there are no police on the roads anymore...........happy days......!

Sometimes breaking the speed limit, either for a few seconds or even for minutes at a time, is excusable in certain cases, such as either getting away from an out of control vehicle, or if you are rushing a dying person to hospital, or if you are taking a doctor/paramedic to an emergency, or you are taking a bomb disposal expert to a situation etc. However if you are caught you will need to justify your actions in court but people have been let off without a fine or points in these rare and extreme circumstances. The point is sometimes a life will depend on you moving quickly and if cars were artificially speed limited then we would be at the mercy of our underfunded emergency services for these life-saving situations.

Speed cameras are, though, essentially there for revenue generation as opposed to road safety. Average speed cameras especially.
  • Options
    BDL said:

Bump, anyone else noticed the new style camera on the A2 between Bexley and Dartford coast bound? The look like Avg speed cameras but road markings seem to suggest that they aren't. It also looks like there are also cameras on the coast bound Bexley turnoff as well.

They seem to have taken down the old style cameras in both directions on the A2 and there are now average speed cameras in place along the whole stretch out to the Wilmington junction coast-bound and (probably) the whole way into town. I'm told they are likely to be active sometime next month so watch out folks.
  • Options
    Has anyone been caught out by the Cameras at the Variable Speed Limit signs as you travel between the M20 and the A2 on the M25... Just as you start to come down the hill there some cameras which have a bloody bright flash when they catch you.

Whats worse with them is your travelling 50mph yet only see what the new speed limit is as you reach them so your having to slam your breaks on to slow down another 10mph to avoid being caught out.

Even then they only go off randomly so dont know whats going on with them!!
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Has anyone been caught out by the Cameras at the Variable Speed Limit signs as you travel between the M20 and the A2 on the M25... Just as you start to come down the hill there some cameras which have a bloody bright flash when they catch you.

Whats worse with them is your travelling 50mph yet only see what the new speed limit is as you reach them so your having to slam your breaks on to slow down another 10mph to avoid being caught out.

Even then they only go off randomly so dont know whats going on with them!!

New style cameras. There are some between J5/6, J9/11, by M4/Heathrow Junction, A127 junction and across the north side of M25. Supposed to be more accurate and scan all 4 lanes. Probably more locations too around M25. Going on M3 when finished work there too.

They are compromised of 2 cameras on side of gantry by hard shoulder and a preceding set of 3/4 cameras on top of pole about 25metres before them. They are on gantries and also on matrix board poles too. If you notice the cameras on the poles just before...slow down if speeding!

Watch out for them, been told they work at all times and not just when speed displayed overhead.
  • Options

redman said:

Why don't they focus on dangerous drivers rather fixed speed. People who overtake dangerously, people who drive too close, people constantly changing lanes unnecessarily! It is lazy and a way to make money. Simple.

Should concentrate more on those who don't change lanes. Lane hoggers are some of the worst drivers - totally oblivious to an empty lane beside them. Unfortunately and speaking as a woman driver, a lot of them are women and in particular young women. Lane discipline does not seem to be taught properly these days.

I've mentioned it on this forum many times before but the four lane A2/M2 has some of the worst offenders for this. I could drive on long sections and undertake many people. If you can be undertaken, then YOU are in the wrong lane.
    I agree that lane discipline is a problem, but I think there's something more fundamental about the rules of motorway driving that brings about the unintended consequences of having clogged outer lanes. It's a motorway, so almost everyone wants to go at top speed. The logic of that is, that they plan to overtake anyone who isn't doing 70 (sometimes more). If you know that you are going to overtake others, it makes sense to position yourself in the overtaking lane. If it was a few individuals doing this there'd be no problem, but when most do it you end up in a situation where the traffic levels across the lanes are the reverse of what they should be. It's not poor individual choices so much as everyone making the same choice that causes the problem.

Of course this gets compounded by people with the worst lane control; the absolute numbskulls who think that the acceptable solution is for them to overtake on the inside. A better solution would be to scrap the rules that reserve the outer lanes for overtaking and replace them with the more enlightened idea that inner lanes are for short journeys and outer ones for longer distances.

• Options
    Stig said:

redman said:

Should concentrate more on those who don't change lanes. Lane hoggers are some of the worst drivers - totally oblivious to an empty lane beside them. Unfortunately and speaking as a woman driver, a lot of them are women and in particular young women. Lane discipline does not seem to be taught properly these days.

I've mentioned it on this forum many times before but the four lane A2/M2 has some of the worst offenders for this. I could drive on long sections and undertake many people. If you can be undertaken, then YOU are in the wrong lane.
    I agree that lane discipline is a problem, but I think there's something more fundamental about the rules of motorway driving that brings about the unintended consequences of having clogged outer lanes. It's a motorway, so almost everyone wants to go at top speed. The logic of that is, that they plan to overtake anyone who isn't doing 70 (sometimes more). If you know that you are going to overtake others, it makes sense to position yourself in the overtaking lane. If it was a few individuals doing this there'd be no problem, but when most do it you end up in a situation where the traffic levels across the lanes are the reverse of what they should be. It's not poor individual choices so much as everyone making the same choice that causes the problem.

Of course this gets compounded by people with the worst lane control; the absolute numbskulls who think that the acceptable solution is for them to overtake on the inside. A better solution would be to scrap the rules that reserve the outer lanes for overtaking and replace them with the more enlightened idea that inner lanes are for short journeys and outer ones for longer distances.

They should just make our motorways Freeways so you could overtake any side.
    I totally disagree with your last comment, Ive lost count of the amount of arse heads sat in the middle lane or even outside lane that I have had to undertake, if THEY had lane control, people like me who know how to drive/ride can get where they are going very very fast.