Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Linesmen checking for "Undershorts"

Out of idle curiosity, I just had a look at the 'Tunnelcam' on CAFC Player - nothing much of interest really, except one thing that got me wondering; before the match, we see a linesman checking all the Charlton players' studs, but he also asks them all if they have "any undershorts?" Some do, some don't and some of them lift their shorts to show him, but I can't for the life of me work out why he needs to ask this? What is he checking for?
Any ideas?

Comments

• Think they have to be the same colour as the kit or smething like that??
  • Only thing I can imagine is kit rules, aren't they supposed to match the colour of the shorts?

Which reminds me- how come the referee and Donny (and Alnick for that matter) were able to wear the same colour shorts/socks? How come the ref and our keeper were in virtually identical kits?
  • colour id imagine
  • Think they have to be the same colour as the kit or smething like that??

Ah yes. Never thought of that. Makes sense.

• He likes looking up men's shorts.
  • Answers to both:

Shorts can be the same colour, but socks cant, to help match officials to make the right decision at throw in's.

Undershorts must be the same colour as the overshorts and it is one of the duties of match officials to check that. There was a UK game earlier this season (senior level) where the differential in colours was not noticed until the game was underway. The player was asked to leave the field of play. Before the player was allowed back, the referee checked the offending underwear was removed and asked the play to demonstrate. The said player dropped his shorts to reveal no underpants whatsoever and was immediately shown the red card!

• Just waiting for this rule to hit the Saturday league. Like the right coloured tape fiasco we experienced last year.....
    As our centre half was booked before kick off who said" we are playing at Hall Place ref, not Chelsea. ( We have a blue and white kit, and was using white tape?)
    yellow card issued......
  • rikofold said:

Which reminds me- how come the referee and Donny (and Alnick for that matter) were able to wear the same colour shorts/socks? How come the ref and our keeper were in virtually identical kits?

I thought the same. We have discussed this previously on here and no-one seemed to have an answer. As far as I know it is against the laws as they are currently written?

• I quite enjoyed the tunnel cam. Different perspective and all that.
  • This was an interesting story a few years back

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15073916
  • Sponsored links:

• PeterGage said:

Answers to both:

Shorts can be the same colour, but socks cant, to help match officials to make the right decision at throw in's.

Undershorts must be the same colour as the overshorts and it is one of the duties of match officials to check that. There was a UK game earlier this season (senior level) where the differential in colours was not noticed until the game was underway. The player was asked to leave the field of play. Before the player was allowed back, the referee checked the offending underwear was removed and asked the play to demonstrate. The said player dropped his shorts to reveal no underpants whatsoever and was immediately shown the red card!

Harsh if it was a Palace player - what he showed would have been apt for the kit.
  • Some years ago I remember Jerome Thomas being subbed-on and then told by the ref to get off the pitch & change his "under shorts" as they weren't white.

Mervyn Day & Curbs didn't look impressed....
  • Just waiting for this rule to hit the Saturday league. Like the right coloured tape fiasco we experienced last year.....
    As our centre half was booked before kick off who said" we are playing at Hall Place ref, not Chelsea. ( We have a blue and white kit, and was using white tape?)
    yellow card issued......

the same colour tape thing drives me mad.

I can understand if you use three rolls of the stuff and its the same colour as the oppo's socks but one bit around the pads with a completely different colour is not allowed. ridiculous.
    yellow card issued......

the same colour tape thing drives me mad.

I can understand if you use three rolls of the stuff and its the same colour as the oppo's socks but one bit around the pads with a completely different colour is not allowed. ridiculous.
    Some people just love a bit of authority................
  • Does Sian Massey get to do it?