Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    I'm starting to think the World Cup will be moved, and probably to the USA.
  • Options
    As after the BBC commented on the Nepalese dying whilst building the Stadiums for the Qatar World Cup, FIFA will come out with their usual comments

"The Western media should stop bullying these nations and let them create a great World Cup"

Sarcasm aside, terrible incident
  • Options
    RIP the workers killed.

BBC report states that they were already considering having to work for 24hrs a day to get all the stadiums ready in time.
  • Options
    They should have said that the stadiums must be ready at least one year before the finals, if not then they get moved to a nation that could hold them at short notice.

• Options
    thing is,its unfair on the people worldwide who will of booked up hotels/holidays in areas just for the world cup.I think ideally all stadiums should be classed ready and finished at least 4/5 months before.
  • Options
    shortly to be followed by the Brazilian Bubble Economy
  • Options
    They have to be finished 4/5 months beforehand anyway (I think the deadline is the end of this year) - Brazil came out and said though that they'll be late and be completed around the end of January.

For some reason as well Brazil decided to build 12 Stadiums (Only 8 required) and one City has confessed that they dont have enough hotel rooms so god knows what'll happen
  • Options
    If you want to host the world cup, i think you should have a certain percentage of the infrastructure in place before even putting in a bid. Building 12 brand new stadiums in a country like brazil, with its own welfare problems, is just ridiculous.
  • Options

If you want to host the world cup, i think you should have a certain percentage of the infrastructure in place before even putting in a bid. Building 12 brand new stadiums in a country like brazil, with its own welfare problems, is just ridiculous.

This
  • Options
    "The safety of workers is the top priority for Fifa, the LOC, the federal government. We know the safety of all workers has always been paramount for all the construction companies contracted to build the 12 Fifa World Cup stadiums."

Yeah...

Contrast with the news breaking that the Prime Minister of Latvia has resigned over the collapse of the supermarket roof
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:

I'm starting to think the World Cup will be moved, and probably to the USA.

No, it wont.
    Overall they are doing an amazing job.

Huge employment boosts, national pride is surging, every bar is buzzing with the excitement and the legacy is going to have positive effects for a generation.

Slag it off from a distance, but why dont we wait till after the event before we criticise?

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited November 2013
    Eh? I certainly saw the protesting and rioting at a distance.

Even the players in the Brazilian league are fed up and protesting during games because they're getting messed about.
  • Options
    I see what you are saying Arthur, but that is no good to the families of the deceased. Rushing to finish these projects because of poor planning may not be the cause of such accidents, but it can't help.
  • Options
    Run of the mill for any major project in Brazil - from schools to shopping centres.
    Different culture, different standards.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    WSS said:

Eh? I certainly saw the protesting and rioting at a distance.

Even the players in the Brazilian league are fed up and protesting during games because they're getting messed about.

For every protester, there are many many supporters.

Riots erupt quite regularly, from transport charges for students to new developments, anti government policy, state governors living in luxury, to teachers pay. Remember it is a country of startling contrasts and criminal gangs who will spark unrest at the slightest hint of profits for them. This was the usual state of affairs when I lived in Sao Paulo, long before the Olympic gravy train rolled into town.

Dont take my word for it, wait till the World Cup turmoil ends.

• Options

Run of the mill for any major project in Brazil - from schools to shopping centres.

Is it right that the two most major sporting organisations in the world are seen to be supporting those standards though, when other countries with (arguably) higher standards are rejected Arthur?

• Options
    Listening to talksport tonight they had their South American reporter on Tim Vickery.
    He made a few interesting points

1-iIs to late to move it elsewhere, apparently the ticket offices have started giving out certain seats at stadia to people.

2-1 of the reasons this may of happened is the are rushing as they are behind schedule, they are due to hand the stadiums over in the next 2-3 weeks and 3 are far behind schedule.

3-due to being behind schedule they are under pressure from Fifa to work between 16-24 hour days to get in done.

He also made a point that again due to being behind schedule they have been forced to cancel plans to improve public transport, and infrastructures so the genral public are getting restless and really upset that its costing them a fortune and they are getting nothing back.

1 more thing he gave a warning the air fares have gone up massivly for the world cup, and the stadiums are not a simple drive away so if you have to move stadiums a lot it will cost you a fortune in air travel.
  • Options
    This is tragic but deaths happen on major construction sites all over the world - sports stadiums are no different.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2004/s1173661.htm

Even here in Australia there were deaths in the completion of the Olympic Stadium in Sydney and in the re-construction of Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane - there is plenty of danger around on these sites, accidents happen even in the most rigorous H&S regimes.

There is no way on earth the World Cup will get moved from Brazil.
  • Options
    Hypothetical question. If FIFA offered England the chance to host 2014 World Cup would you want us to accept or to decline ? I will be in the minority here but I would say No.
  • Options
    I would say yes mainly because as hosts we would be seeded
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hypothetical question. If FIFA offered England the chance to host 2014 World Cup would you want us to accept or to decline ? I will be in the minority here but I would say No.

Why would you say no???? Cant see us getting it again for another 30 years.
  • Options

Why would you say no?

• Options

Out of interest do you live, or travel a lot to Brazil A-R-T-H-U-R?
  • Options
    no reason to say no, we'd make an absolutely cracking job of hosting the WC
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    RIP to the deceased, ironically the Corinthians stadium is one of the few new ones that are actually needed.