Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Awful misses

And i'm not referring to the Speaker of the House of Commons

Church's air shot when 4 yards out was hilarious in the 2nd half.

I can remember at Ewood Park back in about 91? Carl leaburn rounding the keeper in the six yard box and still managing to put it wide.

Any other notable shocking misses you can remember ?

Comments

• Andy Jones Oldham away....cannot remember what year...was on the plastic pitch i think......shocking
  • I've had one of them. Fortunately swapped her for a better one.
  • Kevin Lisbie away at Sunderland.
  • cafctom said:

Kevin Lisbie away at Sunderland.

Kevin Lisbie away at Watford.
  • Andy Jones Oldham away....cannot remember what year...was on the plastic pitch i think......shocking

If I remember right he slid in and missed from 3 yards out blasting over the bar (how he done it god only knows?)

• I remember a game at Bromley - I think against Boreham Wood - where the lump of a centre forward rounded the Bromley keeper went to tap into the net but stumbled and fluffed his shot so that it trickled against the post. Following up, he still had time plenty of time to tap the rebound home but proceeded to stumble again and make the ball ricochet between post and shins a couple of times before collapsing into the goal post as the ball ran off for a goal kick. I never heard so much laughter at a football ground since.
  • I seem to remember Rodney Green trying to tap a ball into an empty net at a muddy Covered End. At the last moment he slipped and managed to get the ball stuck between his legs causing a melee that ended in a free kick.
  • Kim Grant's famous miss at The Valley - was it against Notts C?
  • edited November 2013
    I recall Super Clive having a shocker of a miss at Fulham back in 99-2000 season. He was a couple of yards out and scuffed it left footed wide and we ended up losing 1.2. We were right down the front behind the goal and couldn`t believe it hadn`t gone in.

I won`t hold it against him though after the goals he did score for us!
  • Iwelumo's (sp?!?) miss for the Jocks was pretty good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Robbo in the last minute away to Bolton in the 1/4 final of the FA Cup, 1 yard out.
  • cafctom said:

That's what I came to say. That and the Robbo v Bolton one still hurt.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

cafctom said:

That's what I came to say. That and the Robbo v Bolton one still hurt.
    That miss at Watford cost me £300. Put a tenner on at half time, 2-0 down for us to win the game.

Are you sure there was only one? I seem to remember him missing spectacularly in most games he was in. Or falling over trying to get into position to miss.

His attitude however was impeccable.

• Iwelumo's (sp?!?) miss for the Jocks was pretty good.

This. He was playing for us at the time. That one will go down in folklore.
  • Not Charlton but Roger Davies for Derby v Chelsea at Stamford Bridge always sticks in the mind from back in the day.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JNIquRW3mOo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJNIquRW3mOo
  • Ronny Rosenthal for liverpool at villa.
  • Lol "he'll be very disappointed with this one". Quite possibly he will!

If I remember right he slid in and missed from 3 yards out blasting over the bar (how he done it god only knows?)

90/91
  • Sponsored links:

Robbo in the last minute away to Bolton in the 1/4 final of the FA Cup, 1 yard out.

these are the 2 i was going to say.
  • Robert Lee, home to Luton in April 1987.

We were desperate for a win and at 0-0 in the first half (Luton had worst away record in League) the ball got cut back to Lee who was unmarked in the six yard box and with only Les Sealey to beat he fell over the ball.

Luton scored in the last minute to win 1-0.
  • Pringle at Walsall after he had run the length of the pitch when he had just to tap it in.
  • Bradley Pritchard, most games in which he's had a sight at goal
  • FA Cup away at Chelsea when they had that stand made of scaffolding, I was sitting in the home end when David White and another Charlton striker (cant remember who, maybe Carl Leaburn) both put through on goal with only the keeper to beat. they fell over one another. All around me Chelsea fans going AGGGHHH!! and saying that they masturbated a lot.
  • Luke Varney vs Burnley, Rounded the keeper had an open goal then decided not to shoot till they got a few defenders on the line
  • Halix said:

Pringle at Walsall after he had run the length of the pitch when he had just to tap it in.

Slightly off topic I know, but on the topic of Pringle... He was said to be absolutely lightning quick but for some reason I just don't remember this. Was he!?
  • I wouldn't say he was lightning but he was reasonably quick. Only time i can remember him showing pace though was when he raced clear late on to score away at Derby.
  • McBobbin said:

Iwelumo's (sp?!?) miss for the Jocks was pretty good.

• Kent_red said:

McBobbin said:

Iwelumo's (sp?!?) miss for the Jocks was pretty good.

Think he was at Wolves mate. Didn't get called up when with us.